You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1099 contractor for a barbershop having ?s about the way I’m charge for chair rental
Huh I just got offered a job at a barbershop where I am a 1099 contractor. I was reading through the pamphlet the owner gave me. I make 65% of all my sales and they keep 35%. But it states in there that the 35% goes toward my chair rental or they charge me $200 a week for chair rental which ever is greater.  They also told me I have a dress code and I have to have specific work hours. I was doing some research and as a independent contractor those rules don’t apply to me I should be able to wear what I want and come and go as they please seeing it so I am not an employee. But my biggest concern is that my weekly chair rental will go up the more money I make when it should be a flat rate. I’ve done booth or another floor and it’s never been that way and less it’s been a year. I’ve never heard of that fluctuating on a week to week basis. If anything it should be they take 35% or $200 whichever is lower. I live in the state of Colorado and before I sign or agree to work there I would like to know exactly what I’m getting into so Any input or information is greatly appreciated
(08-25-2018, 06:49 PM)JenD Wrote: Huh I just got offered a job at a barbershop where I am a 1099 contractor. I was reading through the pamphlet the owner gave me. I make 65% of all my sales and they keep 35%. But it states in there that the 35% goes toward my chair rental or they charge me $200 a week for chair rental which ever is greater.  They also told me I have a dress code and I have to have specific work hours. I was doing some research and as a independent contractor those rules don’t apply to me I should be able to wear what I want and come and go as they please seeing it so I am not an employee. But my biggest concern is that my weekly chair rental will go up the more money I make when it should be a flat rate. I’ve done booth or another floor and it’s never been that way and less it’s been a year. I’ve never heard of that fluctuating on a week to week basis. If anything it should be they take 35% or $200 whichever is lower. I live in the state of Colorado and before I sign or agree to work there I would like to know exactly what I’m getting into so Any input or information is greatly appreciated

RUN! Your instincts & research are correct. The owner is violating the USA IRS laws & as soon as a disgruntled former worker turns him/her in for misclassification of employees, the owner will be paying back taxes, plus penalties, court costs & lawyers fees which could possibly bankrupt them. Follow Tina Alberino for the best guidance at http://www.thisuglybeautybusiness.com.