You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Well I did a search on here and did not find what I wanted to know so here it is.
Had a client today that had gelish on her nails from a NSS. She wanted to get a new color etc. So I soak it off. I get to her thumb and there I see not only does she has Onycholysis more then 1/2 way down the side of her nail but there is a spot of Bright Green the size of a dime in bedded in to the nail where she has the Onycholysis. I call my instructor over and she has me file down the nn saying I need to get to the mold and dehydrate the spot. I do as she instructs but do not file to deep for fear of making a hole in this woman's nail! She keeps trying to get me to file more saying " you need to get all the product off! It was off and I was down to the NN and past a bit. Then she brings me this bottle of "dehydrator" that is ether, the smell about killed me! She had me use it on the nail. I was thinking that would be it... but Nope she had me put gel on her and sold her a bottle of Vite 20 OPI Axxium I would not do a color as I felt the woman should be able to see it in order to A. show her Dr. and B. treat it. This miffed my instructor but made my client happy. I told her she could put a bandage over the nail so no one could see. But I felt that I should not have treated it at all. What would you have done?
Thanks Sachi
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
You were correct. If there is any sign of infection on or around the nail, we as nail techs are not allowed to work on the client, other than to remove the old product. Then you would recommend that the client go see her doctor. Once the doc has seen it and cleared it for nail work, THEN we can work on it again.

You would also immediately throw away the files you used on that client, and very carefully clean and disinfect your table and your implements. You should be doing that anyway, but do it right away in this situation. Don't wait, or you could spread the bacteria to other nails.
Elyse in WA
The Nail Princess is in.
Thank you. I really thought I was right but it is so hard in school to tell the instructor "You are wrong".... 200 more hr's
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
Your instructor is way behind times......first indicated by calling the green, "mold". :roll: You handled it well, can't say I'd have done as well in that situation, lol.
If it was bright green and not brownish it was probable a bacteria that feeds off moisture and essentially poops on the nail and turns it green. The green is a stain and will not come off, it has to grow out. Your teacher should know this it is very important, look under Doug Schoon's website it explains about it and there is also an article on here about it somewhere. It has a name but it is long and I can't remember it. But if it is under the nail that is lifted and is a brownish color it is probable a fungus which feeds off the bacteria. Around here we have to know about this stuff because the Dr. really don't treat it or really care. I know if it is the bacteria as long as you let air at it for at least a minute the bacteria is dead and it is safe to put an enhancement over it.

This forum and different websites like Doug Schoon's and Hooked on Nails are invaluable because most of the schools for Nail Tech's are either behind the times or don't teach us enough, it is very sad, but it is wonderful that we have each other to help.

Good Luck
Wow, I can't believe a school is run this way..... Dis-heartning......

It has nothing to do with the product, but application......


Hand and Nail Harmony
"Mold" which the teacher should not be calling it, is actually called pseudomonas bacteria and it's waste will stain the nail. It can be killed via air and dehydration. Pseudomonas infection will range in color from light yellow to green, and yes brown, an even black. Brown is not an indicator of fungus. That has to be tested to actually know what it is. Fungus usually looks white or yellow and the nail is usually lifting, the technical term is onychomycosis and oncholysis ( separation of the nail plate from the bed ) the nail may discolor but I do not believe the actual fungal infection is brown.
Thank you all for the great info! I only have 200 hr's left thats what I keep looking at!
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
Your going to learn more on this board than you will in school. Most schools are like yours - which is sad.......Anyway there is a networking event coming up in your area that you should attend. I am going agian this year and you will make plenty of nail friends, get tons of free stuff and learn more in 4 days than anywhere else.

Hun yes, sometimes the teacher tries to get away with teaching things the wrong way for a variety of reasons. I experienced much of it myself in School the 2nd time around. At first I tried to fight my teacher, but then I just let it go and started to depend more on my book and forums like these as well as the internet for knowledge...

your story is more the norm than the exception. I really think part of the problem is a getting qualified instructors. Last time I checked into teaching at a school, I was told the pay was $10 an hr.! Of course, that's usually with taxes taken out, and various perks that might come with it but still....the pay was too low for me to leave a lucrative nail business. I found that lots of old cosmetologists are actually the ones teaching the nail classes back when I was in school.
Your thought on handing the situation were spot on, the teacher was DEAD WRONG

Learn more about "mold" actually pseudomonas
•What is... that green stuff on my client's nail, is it MOLD?

As soon as the product was removed, the bacteria dies, You can lightly buff off as much as reasonably possible of the stain, but its going to have to grow out and off the nail.

Now for the separation of the nail from the late.. thats indicative of a few possibilities:
1. allergic reaction
2. over aggressive filing/removal of enhancements during fills
3. some other ailment but probably #1 or #2

Some tech treat the area with a bleach/water solution or a Fungoff product, bleach is REALLY light. like 1 tsp to 8 oz of water, I forget, but def not straight bleach!

Now if the green was UNDER the nail, between the nail plate and the nail bed.. now you have a different situation and no amount of filing is going to remove that. That happens when the plate lifts odd the bed (#1, #2 or #3 above) and it happens because normal moisture get trapped in there.. she needs to keep it dry and apply some sort of anti fungal liquid (yea.. more liquid but thats OK in this case) UNDER the plate to keep it from progressing. As you will read in the article, when left unchecked it can be a really bad thing.. wether it is above or below the plate, it needs to be taken care of promptly.

If the bacterial infection is not severe (light green) you can absolutely reapply the enhancement.
Debbie webmaster - admin Feed Your Nail Addiction shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results


Possibly Related Threads...
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 3,695
08-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Last Postjimsjadab
Replies: 2
Views: 2,938
12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Last Postsbwalnuss

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)