Are there specific rules for Mailing List or Message board 'Netiquette?
- Save the Welcome message or the most recent Weekly Info post - this has many pieces of
important information you made need to contact the list owner. Follow the rules set down
by the owner of the list.
- Questions about the list operations should be sent directly to the list owner. This
person’s E-Mail address will be in the Welcome message at the bottom of every post to
the list and in the Weekly Info post to the list.
- When you join a mailing list, monitor the list for several days (or posts if you do not
check your mail daily) to get the feel of the list. Keep your posts to the list relevant
to the list’s topic.
- Test posts are O.K., but only one please.
- Never post personal information to the list (phone numbers or home addresses), yours or
anyone else’s! NEVER send a post containing something that you would not want to see
on this evening’s news...
- You should refrain from posting personal messages to the list (for example: Mary, Please
call me. Debbie)
- Never promote a product or service that you sell on the list unless you have permission
from the owner of the list.
- Post directly to author for personal replies that should not be broadcast to the list.
- Hold your desire to reply to a question, until you are sure no one else has already
answered the question correctly. If you have something else to add, or a different point
of view, then go ahead and post it!
- Quoting in your reply is best way to make sure your response makes sense to all the
other readers.. Some people do not check their mail daily and when they see a post that
says, ‘Yes I agree, that’s the best way to do that.’, the reader may have
no idea what you are agreeing to! When quoting, take the time to delete all unneeded lines
to keep your post as short as possible.
- Do not reply to an off-topic post by replying back to the list, but rather reply
directly to the author.
- Change the Subject line when the old subject is no longer fitting to your post.
- Keep in mind several people on the list are from foreign countries and may not
understand certain slang references that we here in the US take for granted.
- If your question requires responses to be sent directly to your E-Mail box, rather than
to the list, please state this in your message and put your E-Mail address in the body of
- Being flamed (a sharp criticism posted to the list about something you said) is no fun.
Think before you post. Read over you post before you send it. If you are angry, hold your
out-going mail until you calm down and read it again before you send it.
- Sign your post, either use a ‘sig’ file if your E-Mail program has it or type
your name and E-Mail address at the bottom of your message.
- TYPING IN ALL CAPITOLS IS LIKE SHOUTING. Keep the noise down!
- Use ‘smilies’ when you wish to get a point of humor across. :) is happy :( is
sad. In writing, humor and anger are had to convey, so :))) What you typed as humor, may
come across as criticism.
- Use acronyms when appropriate (BTW = By The Way, IMHO = In My Humble Opinion, FYI = For
- Be tolerant of Newbies’ posts that may lack certain ’Netiquette, remember you
were once a Newbie yourself!
Lot’s of rules? You bet, but these etiquette rules need to be followed so you
don’t get kicked off the mailing list or worse lose your Internet access altogether.
Your posts are a direct reflection on you!
Why cant we post about....
How can I filter the list mail into it's own mail box?
Do I HAVE to register at GoogleGroups to be on the mailing list(s)?
Can I read the mailing list(s) online?
Is the mailing list(s) available in "digest" format?
Are there any "NM" (No Message) posting rules here?
The digests come as attachments, is this OK? How do I open them?
My posts are not showing up, why not?
The digests come as attachments, is this OK and how do I open them?
My List mail stopped, now what? Was I bad?
I'm not seeing the latest posts on the message boards, what do I do now?
I'm going on vacation, how to I put my list mail on hold?
I need a post I made to the message board removed. How do I do that?
How do I put a picture in my post?
Are the Message Boards @ BeautyTech moderated?
Are the list posts searchable?
What exactly is the mailing list about and who are these people sending me emails all day?
Who monitors the posts to the BeautyTech mailing list?
How do I include a link to another page in my post?
How do I decide if a mail should be sent public to the mailing list or private?
What can I do to make my message board reading go faster?
How do I send email in "Plain Text"?
My email address changed, how do I move my list subscription?
I don't want to get the mails from beautytech any more, what should I do?
Who monitors the posts here on the boards?
How do I reply to posts if I receive digest mails from the message boards?
What if my purchase off the boards goes bad?