I think I have a virus, how did I get it and now what do I do?
There are so many sophistacted virus mails around that it's hard to say how you might have gotten infected.. each one behaves in a completely different manner.
- You MUST be running a virus program at all times, it MUST be set to scan your email as it comes into your computer.. you MUST keep the database for the virus prog current, updating at least once a month if not more frequently.
- You should never ever open an email with an attachment unless you are absolutely sure it is OK.. how do you know that?? IF you know the person who sent it.. email or call and ask what did you send me? If you do not know the person.. then just don't open it.. I don't care if it says Pres. Bush sent it.. I don't care how URGENT the subject line appears to be.. just don't!!
- If you do not open the mail and just delete it, you will not become infected. If you do open the mail and DO NOT click to open or run the attachemnt 99.99% of the time you are OK also. However.. be aware there are several viruses that just by the mere fact of you opening to READ the mail you can become infected.
- If you run MS Outlook, you should make sure you have the newest version and the latest security release AND make sure you have the setting so that it will NOT automatically open or run any attachments or "scripts" (thats the ones that will infect by reading alone).
- Some virus will scan web pages as you browse the net, scoop up any email addresses on that page and mail the virus to the address.
- If you do not have a virus program, then you can do a scan online at
look for the links for the FREE TOOLS, then HOUSE CALL
Just follow the instructions there.
- Many of the new virus are masters at forging the FROM address when it sends itself to everyone in the infected person's address book.
How can I tell is an email is FAKE?
I think I got a virus from one of the BeautyTech mailing lists hosted by Google-Groups.
I think I got a virus from one of the BeautyTech Message Boards.
Dealing with Spams & Virus