You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shellac over polish
I had a client who comes in every 3 weeks but this time it was 4 weeks. I had polished her nails with some nail art and told her I hadn't ever tired it, but I was going to put shellac top coat on her polish. I did let them dry very well and low and behold when she come in. It was as if I had used shellac polish. It was perfect, but had just new growth. I just had to share with y'all. Big Grin
Licensed Cosmetologist
Practicing Nail Tech
[email protected]
A user of T.E.N. Gel and Young Nail Acrylic.
Oh ya...Ive done that on myself without any problems..... I dried them really well also...but it did work very nicely.

Glad you shared that with us..cuz its always nice to know how we can 'tweek' the systems sometimes !!! :wink:
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
How long did they have to dry for this to work?
Hi Kathy, I have a little table fan that I use to dry polish, it works like a charm, polish are dry in 5 min., wonder if that will be enough time?, so I am asking the same as Idonls, how long did you let them dry?, and what brand of polish did you use?.

Thank you for sharing! Big Grin
Bumping this up as we wait patiently for an answer. TY
I will have to try the shellac. Everyone is into the gel at school and I'm the only one that does it.
@ ParkNails I don't know how long Kathy let them dry, but we know that it takes a while for polish to be dry to the touch and up to 24 hours to be fully cured. So if you really want to try it then apply your polish, on your own nails and see how long it takes to feel really dry. Polishes will differ, and metallics take longer to feel dry and matte dries in seconds to the touch. Just remember touchable and cured are different.
Looking forward to hearing from either Kathy or Tracy as to how long they waited to apply the Shellac topcoat over regular polish. ;-)
Hey guys. Sorry.. I usually will polish them and run them through at leasr 2 cylces of my 180 setting on my lamp. Then apply the shellac topcoat and run them through again. But obviously since they won't be totally dry-- u do gotta be careful to not dent them. But yes.....it totally works !!!!! And I've worn them for weeks like this...Smile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
So you are using a UV lamp to dry the regular polish? Hmmm, didn't think that would dry them enough to do a gel polish topcoat over regular polish. Thanks for the info.
Anytime I use enamel polish, I run them thru my lamps. It doesn't dry them actually, but it's more 'politically correct' than handcuffs. At least they have to sit still for a few minutes. I'd love to have a couple of sturdy straps attached to my table, but that would probably be frowned upon. :lol:
you'vegotnail! :
> Anytime I use enamel polish, I run them thru my lamps. It doesn't dry them
> actually, but it's more 'politically correct' than handcuffs. At least they
> have to sit still for a few minutes. I'd love to have a couple of sturdy straps
> attached to my table, but that would probably be frowned upon. :lol:

Thank you for the great laugh. It was much needed!! :lol:
@Tracy, thank you!:wink:

@sobeit Thank you for that info, I will keep that in mind.Big Grin

@idonails thanks for bumping this up, I was waiting too :lol:

@you'vegotnail!, lmao!, thanks. :lol: :wink:
I used opi polish and then used the opi crackle on top. I waited 5 minutes for each coat and on the last coat I waited 10 minutes. It worked like a charm for me. but I only did it once and I used a small fan to dry no heat. sorry I didn't reply sooner.
Licensed Cosmetologist
Practicing Nail Tech
[email protected]
A user of T.E.N. Gel and Young Nail Acrylic.
No problem Kathy. Thank you for the info.
Quote:kathyharper :
> I used opi polish and then used the opi crackle on top. I waited 5 minutes
> for each coat and on the last coat I waited 10 minutes. It worked like a charm
> for me. but I only did it once and I used a small fan to dry no heat. sorry
> I didn't reply sooner.

Thank you kathy! :wink:
hmm, not sure I can keep 'em still for that amount of time.......maybe handcuffs WOULD work!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,627
01-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Last PostCanadAstrid
Replies: 9
Views: 16,769
06-23-2012, 07:59 PM