You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commission-sale- am I getting screwed?
OK so I started working at a salon, I'm the only NT (not that that matters), and they ran a "special" for me to build my book (I'm not inexperienced, I am just coming back after a few years so no clientele). So the sale is with a Shellac manicure the guest gets a FREE spa pedicure and this is going on until the end of the year. So for the last week I've been doing these combo's only about 50% want to rebook because they are either tourists or dont want to come in until they get their hair done again (even after explaining that they need to be in sooner then just every 6 weeks).

So anyways. when they get the free pedi's I don't make a commission. Now...here's my question. If I'm on commission and I'm there doing the services should I get paid for the service whether the management runs a special or not? So they are throwing this out there for free does that mean I am working for free?
**posted to forum and mailing list**
oh and it's only a 45% commission.
Your thoughts please.....
Thanks! xo <3
KJ
Yes, your getting screwed. The most important part that salon owners tend to either overlook, or to maybe not even know is the labor laws. Your the employee so at the very least you HAVE to be paid minimum wage. So if the services you do for the work weeks total hours, do not meet what minimum wage pay would equal, for those same hours, they have to suppliment the hours with minimum wage so the paycheck meets that requirement.
They cannot just pay a commission unless that commission is equal or greater than the current minimum wage pay. Plus when a special is run they have to pay your % of the service, they eat the free part. Not you.
What was discussed as far as commission for doing this special? If it wasn't discussed, it should have been. It would stand to reason if the shop isn't making any money on the pedis and you are on commission then you wouldn't receive any compensation. I have found offering these types of specials don't draw in the repeat type of clients most of us are looking for. Kind of like the Groupon specials. It usually only attracts people who are looking only for a bargain.

Does your comission include them paying for supplies? That does make a difference in what percentage you will receive. However I feel 45% is pretty low.

Wish you the best getting back into the biz!!
Thanks and no it was not discussed it was presented to me (i had no choice) and yes i agree 45% is pretty darn low. Thanks again for the information. xo <3
You are welcome. At least they were doing something to bring in business, probably not the best way. Hope you can get the commission percentage worked out. ;-)
Ask them if their stylists would like to do a special that would include a free hair color with a cut.

That's exactly what they are asking you to do: a labor intensive and time consuming service for free with a lesser service.

A better incentive for everyone would be a free gel polish color with a full price pedicure. You already have them in the chair and have their toes ready for the polish.

It doesn't sound as if they thought this through very well. They may give you no choice to do the service, but it's THEIR advertising, They need to pay you the 45% of the price of the service.

I'm surprised that if this was to help build your clientele, they didn't consult you for some ideas.
Well as it's being drilled into my head over and over..."nails is only an add on service and doesn't tend to make any money" hmmmm I wonder how they came up with that? Maybe this kind of tactics? ha! I had actually gave them an entire menu with prices with everything from polish change to hot stone pedicures/rockstar toes/etc etc. Only an express mani/pedi, spa mani/pedi and shellac made the cut. Even the CND rep who happen to walk in told them it would be better to at least add some kind of gel enhancement, since they were against anything with an odor. We were informed by the owners that they "think" the trend is towards all natural nails and would not be a good business move to add any kind of nail enhancement. I think I'm fighting a losing battle with them. I probably am. What I was told during my interview 2 weeks ago and what actually goes on and how much they listen to me are 2 very different things. My significant other thinks I should suck it up and go back to booth rent (military town and easy to build clients), he's probably right.
**now I know why for so many years I worked for 1 person...ME! HAHA
Thank you all very much for your postings. =D xo
KJ
I'm just going to reiterate the minimum wage law, your getting paid to do the pedicure if they follow the laws of your work hours totalling no less than that minimum, your just not getting the comission in the end but the hourly rate. So if they are paying you only comission, and your making less than $7 (ish) per hour your in the salon, client or not, then yup, still getting screwed.
Thank you SoBeIt. I do appreciate your knowledge on this. xo
You said something about renting and if you can make it renting, then you don't have to deal with the mindset that we are "just nail" or we are an add on to take or leave. We are a very huge portion of this billion $ industry and deserve to be treated as such. Big Grin
Another thing to watch is the "coupon" things. I was doing booth rent and the owner who just redid the salon from tanning only to tanning, hair, and nails decided to do the groupon thing to "build business" She did a $50 in services for half price- $25. Then told us what she had done. Of that $25, I was getting $12.50. After product costs and rent, not much left at all. Needless to say, I stayed 3 days. The hairdresser left the day before I did. The owner is still looking for a hairdresser and nail tech almost 2 months later.
You cannot give away your services.
Always be kind....you get farther.
After your further explanation it does sound like the owner's don't respect your opinion or experience. And just because you rent doesn't mean you will get the respect you deserve from the owner. In my experience some owners don't listen to the booth renters or even ask them for their opinions on how they want to conduct their businesses. So if you take the plunge into booth renting that is no guarantee things will go the way you plan. Also need to ensure they approve of the type of services you want to offer. Hope it works out for you. Let us know what you decide and how things go.
Well I remember, in the nail tech student book says that we need to work for a minimum wage til we can have a steady clientele, and the owners should known that, girl look for another place I will say.
They should have a poster in a wall about labor law, check around!.

I was in a salon in where they joined the groupon thing ( i hated it), and we were told to hurry up manis in 15 minuts, It was a sloppy job, and I was told not put top coat on the polish saying that OPI already had a top coat in it Sad , of course there where only one time clients.

:cry:
Quote:RockinNailz :
My significant other thinks I should suck it up and go back to booth rent (military town and easy to build clients), he's probably right.
**now I know why for so many years I worked for 1 person...ME! HAHA
Thank you all very much for your postings. =D xo
> KJ
Yes I agree, since you rented before its something you know the ins and outs of and gosh if it were me and your in a military town with lots of potential I would just jump on it too. Forget the boss deal and go back to working for yourself, of course if its in your best interest.
If you have to start over with supplies and product there are a lot of great things here on BT in the shop n swap. Good luck no matter what.
thank you all...I know I'm going to lose sleep over this. Oh the life of a NT. =D
Pardon the expression, but the owner is "pimping you out." Under these circumstances, being busy doesn't make you successful. If the owner doesn't respect your profession, you expect the clients will? Time to move on . . .
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
Thanks Jamie...I agree, thanks for putting that nicely, I used other words in private!haha. I think I'm going to once again throw my hat into the ring and do my own thing. I'm happiest when I am calling the shots and doing my thing.

Thank you all for your comments!

xo KJ
**update** so i spoke with the owners this morning and ..... got fired for standing up for myself. Good thing I had already decided to explore other avenues!
Speaks volumes that the owners fired you for standing up for yourself. It probably would have gotten worse the longer you worked there. The reason you gave earlier is why I never did commission. I chose this career so I wouldn't have to put up with bosses deciding my fate.

Chin up!! You will find the perfect place for you!!
Quote:idonls :
> Speaks volumes that the owners fired you for standing up for yourself. It probably
> would have gotten worse the longer you worked there. The reason you gave earlier
> is why I never did commission. I chose this career so I wouldn't have to put
> up with bosses deciding my fate.
>
> Chin up!! You will find the perfect place for you!!

.I agree with Idonls!.
Dear RockinNailz, I am sure you will find soon something much much better, hugs!.
:wink:
People just don't know what to do when you stand up for yourself...my friends and family always told me I was too nice. You go girl!
Always be kind....you get farther.
File for unemployment. I believe you have a case.
sobeit :
> Yes, your getting screwed. The most important part that salon owners tend to
> either overlook, or to maybe not even know is the labor laws. Your the employee
> so at the very least you HAVE to be paid minimum wage. So if the services you
> do for the work weeks total hours, do not meet what minimum wage pay would
> equal, for those same hours, they have to suppliment the hours with minimum
> wage so the paycheck meets that requirement.
> They cannot just pay a commission unless that commission is equal or greater
> than the current minimum wage pay. Plus when a special is run they have to
> pay your % of the service, they eat the free part. Not you.

Peggy has this perfect. We had a guest from the US Dept of Labor at our Nw Retreat. They must make sure you are being paid the minimum wage based on the number of hours you are working.
This is an area where our industry thinks they can make their own rules in regard to paying "employees" or calling people in the salon what they think they want ie; booth renter, etc. The owners do this to avoid having to pay certain taxes. If you are an owner, please know the laws and don't try to skirt around them. All techs need to know the wage laws and how to determine the proper classification of relationship where you choose to work. I wish this was taught more in school.
Ellen Torchia
Owner Too Much Fun
President SB&S Graphics, Inc
Replicator Graphics

Former Top 10 Competitor

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5