You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Pedi Vs. Wet Pedi
So I heard that pedicure spas are expensive, time consuming to clean and that I should look into specializing in "dry pedis". What do you guys think? From what I googled, maybe dry isn't as relaxing for my clients? Confusedhock:
If you don't want to do whilrpool pedi's you can still use a foot bath. Those are just as relaxing, not nearly as expensive and easier to clean (still have to do sanitation and disinfection).

I do dry pedi's on some of my clients for various reasons. I use hot towels from a crock pot. You can wash the feet as effectively with soap and water and they will be just as clean as having their feet in water, maybe even more so because the feet have been washed off. Feet really aren't that dirty since most people wear shoes/sandals anyway. Of course you do the same steps as with water pedi in doing an exfoliating scrub, calluses removel, etc. Still as effective as water pedi's, no worries about disinfecting a tub and relaxing also. This is great to offer to people who are concerned about sharing a tub with other people.

The relaxing part is determined by you and your setup. It's not always about the water and bubbles. A comfy big size chair or a glider, relaxation music on a mp3 player or ipod for them to listen to, massage mat in the chair, candles, dimmed lighting, etc. There are lots of other ways for you to get your clients to relax w/o having to have a pedi throne or whirlpool bath.

Forgot to mention that some of my clients have commented that they are glad I don't have a big throne. They find them hard to get into and the chairs not that comfortable.

HTH!!
Ive had a dry Pedi and certainly i thought it sucked. But then again like the pp said it could have been atmosphere. I think your clients will be happier with some sort of bath. For less than $150 you can invest in a footsie bath.
CND trained since '02
Lumos & Famous Names- Famous Partner~ want Lumos? Email me!
Www://facebook.com/cloudnineathens
Lumos! Dadi' Oil! Vamoos!
We have big comfy wingback chairs and use Footsie Bath in my salon. Clients love it. And they love the peace of mind with regards to sanitation since the liners are one time use. there are a lot of things, as already mentioned here, that you can do to make it relaxing and a wonderful spa experience without the big spa chairs.
Melodie Hand
Clayton/Raleigh, NC
Before we moved to Texas and I was working in the spa, I used a Footsie Bath so the clean up was easy. I personally have no desire to do dry pedis. I did a couple and the people thought the were 'ok' but much preferred a wet pedi. I didn't feel like I gave them as good of a pedi when they didn't get to soak. The scrub was a pain in the butt and was much easier to clean off when I had the tub of water.

I've been told that wet pedis aren't as safe as dry pedis...that the water can be 'dirty' and therefore potentially dangerous. The way I look at it, I shower and/or bathe in the same water so I can't see how dangerous it can be, right?

Try it on a guinea pig both ways and see what THEY think and also see how you feel doing both of them. Then, pick the one that you felt was best for the client.
Michele
I know a lot of people on here do dry pedi's, but my personal opinion I would feel better about a regular pedi in a spa chair. I could probably have the best dry pedicure ever but if Im not getting that whole spa experience, its just not the same. Im certainly not going to pay the same if I were getting soaked in a small tub, but then not everyone can afford big chairs.The second those people sit in that big comfy chair, they instantly relax and love the soaking the best. On the end of the spectrum, I dont soak for manicures. Like I said, its just my opinion. I remember doing pedis in school over 10 years ago and we used portable tubs and we had to sit on the floor, and I swore I would have the biggest pedi chair someday.
I don't have a great set up because the salon I rent in is soooo small. I have to turn my table to the side so we can sit for the pedicure. I have comfortable high back office chairs though for myself and the client. The client also gets a warm neck wrap with aromatherapy, and I use a small vibrating foot tub. I wish I could get a better chair, but in no way would I invest in some huge set up to make it look like the pedicure was worth more.
Anyhoo I don't like dry pedicures myself because the foot really needs to be washed to get them clean, a spritz of sanitizer doesn't cut it. Clients have to wash their hands first too, so its really no different. And its a stress reliever to place your feet in the warm suds.
I love the look of the resin square tubs with flowers floating in them, or the copper tubs with rocks. Its not really about how fancy it is, as much as it is about how it feels.
I am still currently doing a 'brief' soak pedi with my Belava foot tub and executive style office chair too.

However, I will be converting to dry pedis soon. I like everything about this procedure because 1) I am not a spa and therefore if clients are coming for a 'spa' experience then ultimately they have come to the wrong place 2) Washing/cleansing the feet is using liquid soap and warm moist washcloth (washrag as we say here LOL) not sanitizer only, 3) saves on towel washing, 4) and various other reasons, saves water usage (salon at at home for towel washing), less cost involved (for me no more liners for my tub) and so on.

I think the chair can be the breaker on comfort i.e. I have no anxiety about dentists and when I get reclined in the dental chair, I am OUT! No need for my feet to soak there. Smile
Anna
I also like the idea of the steamer but its way out of my price range.
sobeit :
> I also like the idea of the steamer but its way out of my price range.

Ditto for me!
~~Kristy~~
I do 90% dry gel pedis. Most of my clients really just want pretty toes and aren't really wanting all the other stuff. I have two services, one of just gel toes ($65) and one of Spa Gel Pedi ($85). Most choose the dry pedi to make their toes pretty.
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
Akzentz Distributor & Educator
http://www.luvnailz.com
Interesting. For me every pedicure client wants their feet to feel good and have calluses and dry skin taken care of more than color on their toes. I guess this is why in my case a dry pedicure doesn't seem like a good service. There is just something really nice about warming the feet, soaping them up, using a gentle relaxing scrub and for me the basin comes in handy for the soak and rinse.
I have to eldery clients who only want and need a trim and polish with massage because their skin is so thin, scrubs and file work is to much.
sobeit :
> Interesting. For me every pedicure client wants their feet to feel good and
> have calluses and dry skin taken care of more than color on their toes. I guess
> this is why in my case a dry pedicure doesn't seem like a good service. There
> is just something really nice about warming the feet, soaping them up, using
> a gentle relaxing scrub and for me the basin comes in handy for the soak and
> rinse.
> I have to eldery clients who only want and need a trim and polish with massage
> because their skin is so thin, scrubs and file work is to much.

Yep, different clients for different stuff. I do give those who have calluses a quick foot filing, using the Footlogix Callus softener and Angelfoot file, it goes quick and I can get it done while the foot is curing the final coat. If they have a spot that is stubborn I use my E-file. I give them a footlogix application at the end, so they are soft, moisturized and pretty. I guess most dont feel the need (or have the time) for the soak.
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
Akzentz Distributor & Educator
http://www.luvnailz.com
Personally, I do not like a 'wet' pedi as taking my feet in and out of water makes my feet cold. It's not relaxing to me; but then again, I don't care for hot tubs either. Smile

I like this procedure, not necessarily the product...

http://www.naturalkosmetics.com/video_show.php?video=10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btAUY2psd...re=related
Anna
Thanks so much ladies, this is really helpful stuff. I saw that NK EZ Video and found the procedure interesting. Why did you not like the product Nail Rising?
There is a lot more than if it feels good to consider. Certain clients should NOT be soaked because of their health/potential problems.
The foot spa I am consulting for has booth whirlpool and the non-soak options/different chairs.
JanMc
Live and Learn - life is too short to stay the same

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 876
05-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Postpedigal
Replies: 1