You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm just curious...
... I'd really like to know.  What happened to this forum?  I've exchanged emails with Deb (Hi Deb!) about the lack of interest here.  I'd really like to hear from people on BeautyTech.  What are your reasons for not posting?  I check it every day and sometimes it's 2-3 weeks between posts. It used to be so busy and fun!  I miss that and I know some of you must miss it too. 

I've learned so much here; new products and techniques.  It's been invaluable to me as a single tech in my own shop.  Yeah, Facebook, whatever, but this was so much more personal.  Kind of like our own little club of like-minded souls.  I'm on FB too, but really it's sooo impersonal.  I would love to see this get back to what it used to be.  OK, yeah the flame-wars sucked, but in any group of humans you have to have some jackasses.  

I don't know about everyone else, but when I run into idiots in any phase of my life, I just pretty much ignore them.  Don't feed the trolls and they go away.  I don't let an idiot keep me from enjoying something I love.   

So what do you say?  Can we resurrect the happiness & fun?

If you don't want to post here, you can email me:  youvegotnail at yahoo dot com
(04-01-2017, 10:49 AM)I feel like mist people are on YouTube for new things and on Facebook groups for interacting. I\m personally retired from nails so I just answer questions that I can help with, but you're right, its died out and makes me sad :( Wrote: ... I'd really like to know.  What happened to this forum?  I've exchanged emails with Deb (Hi Deb!) about the lack of interest here.  I'd really like to hear from people on BeautyTech.  What are your reasons for not posting?  I check it every day and sometimes it's 2-3 weeks between posts. It used to be so busy and fun!  I miss that and I know some of you must miss it too. 

I've learned so much here; new products and techniques.  It's been invaluable to me as a single tech in my own shop.  Yeah, Facebook, whatever, but this was so much more personal.  Kind of like our own little club of like-minded souls.  I'm on FB too, but really it's sooo impersonal.  I would love to see this get back to what it used to be.  OK, yeah the flame-wars sucked, but in any group of humans you have to have some jackasses.  

I don't know about everyone else, but when I run into idiots in any phase of my life, I just pretty much ignore them.  Don't feed the trolls and they go away.  I don't let an idiot keep me from enjoying something I love.   

If you don't want to post here, you can email me:  youvegotnail at yahoo dot com

I was wondering about this too! This used to be my favorite place for nail advice!

I think people are sticking more to Facebook and Instagram now and want something more instantaneous. The quality and type of nail tech has really changed within the past couple years. It seems they care more about art than actual nail techniques
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
(04-01-2017, 04:52 PM)scotchtapeandrhinestones Wrote: I was wondering about this too! This used to be my favorite place for nail advice!

I think people are sticking more to Facebook and Instagram now and want something more instantaneous. The quality and type of nail tech has really changed within the past couple years. It seems they care more about art than actual nail techniques

That's a good point, one that actually hadn't occurred to me.  You're right though, about art vs technique.  Sad, really.  Still though, I wish this would be more active.
(04-01-2017, 10:49 AM)It\s all true. I found everyone (educators & techs) on Beautytech for when we put together our 1st Nail Tech Event of the Smokies back in 2008. This year is our 10th anniversary & the landscape has changed for how we find techs & educators. It's all on social media because it's easier & word can be shared faster, so it's like virtual word-of-mouth free advertising (so to speak).Nowadays people use apps on their phone for Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Snap Chat, Google+, LinkedIn, etc. On Facebook you can look up anyone's name & send them a friend request to connect via a private message, which makes it much easier considering the majority of people use their phones instead of PC's or laptops like we did 10 years ago. Plus there's tons of Facebook nail groups to interact with, so blame it on the technology of phones that became our computers AND the advent of social media. Lord knows what new things will develop 10 years from now! Nail Tech Event of the SmokiesJuly 8-10th, 2017Gatlinburg, TN http://www.nailtechevent.comwww.facebook...ltechevent Wrote: ... I'd really like to know.  What happened to this forum?  I've exchanged emails with Deb (Hi Deb!) about the lack of interest here.  I'd really like to hear from people on BeautyTech.  What are your reasons for not posting?  I check it every day and sometimes it's 2-3 weeks between posts. It used to be so busy and fun!  I miss that and I know some of you must miss it too. 

Hi all! I think it was actually before Facebook, I cant even remember the name of the site/app but I never signed up and hated looking at those pages. Facebook changed things a lot.. then all the other instant gratification sites. I really wish the techs would come back and share here.. yes it was our own little private Idaho where we could spew forth with little to no retribution. While we had a share of flame wars, I hope I did a good job of calming that and keeping the spammers out. People on FB don't become fast friends like they did here.. I don't think they are inspired to do what Jill did, create her own nail show that is 10 years running strong. I also agree, while those pretty nails are just that pretty nails with exciting and innovative art.. it does nothing to improve the skills of day to day salon work. Unfortunately YouTube also brought the demise of sites like this one.. not just in this industry either.. you can learn ANYTHING on YouTube today.. is it the correct way?? Probably not, but people are using those techniques anyway.

So thats my take on things, I don't like it, but life moves along.. I was very late to the FB scene, and even today, while I love keeping in touch and seeing what my old friends are doing.. it's taken over too many lives, constantly posting every move they make....

Peace out my friends.. Spread the word.. the beauty tech forum is NOT dead, just a little neglected.. courage your FB friends and groups o come share.. this new version has a fully mobile view, so they can still use it on their cells..
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

must be a reason i came here today havent been here on this sites for months. hope it sparks everyone to start sharing here again. ill come back soon
Barb
Personal Pampering Esthetics
Smiths Falls, On Canada
DoTERRA Wellness Advocate
http://www.mydoterra.com/barbw
http://www.personalpamperingesthetics.com
I'm so very happy to see the response! I belong to a couple of FB groups and I'm going to ask the members there to come share here too. Deb, a question for you: can I post a link to this discussion on FB? I well remember the posts "you know you're a BeautyTech addict when..." WE NEED OUR ADDICTS BACK! LOL!
Absolutely you can link to this (or any) post and forum!! Have at it girls!
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

I've been on this site for years. I do feel like this site is more about technique than nail art. Earlier in my career I was more hungry for that information. Now I've learned a lot more, so when I see post like: Whats the best brand gel polish?... Help with a client that's lifting?... Uv or LED?... Question about client on blood thinners, To me it's the same old topics from 5 years ago. One thing that maybe contributed to the success of this forum was gel polish being introduced. There was so much to learn about the produce and troubleshoot; everyone had questions. Since then I've done over 1000 gel manicures and have pretty much no issues. Now I'm mostly interested in learning the new trends and nail art. I don't know why those things aren't discussed here too.
I have wondered the same thing.  I now get some ideas why.  Another reason could be some of the techs may have given up this career for a number of reasons. Nails have changed a lot and mostly in nail art, I think.

I realize it's harder to find a good salon.  I last interviewed at a salon where the owner was willing to train me  but would not turn away clients with nail infections.  I would imagine a lot of salons are like this as I have found, and I am surprised many pass inspections as I have researched.  It is a frustrating process to find the right place to work who are up to par with regulations and pay you right.

The higher end salons want someone with experience, period.  I have applied even if I have no experience but not interviewed.  The JcPenney don't have clients because they are competing with the Asian salons at every corner.  It may be why many have given up this career.

I also I am not a fan of the newly nail art trends.  I am more of the natural looking nails and prefer to service clients who still want the natural nails look. Perhaps some of the nail techs weren't interested in the nail art trend.  Now we use a different color polish for every nail and so many designs.  So many artificial nail shapes.  I guess it doesn't interest me, and I don't pursue this. I do look and admire some of the photos out there.  I have never criticized anyone for following the newly nail art path.  They make money, but the more you know, the highly desirable you are to be hired, I guess.
I too have been wondering this same thing! Over the years life got busy and time just sped by... I learned so much from this forum and once in a while would check it out but it seemed the topics were ones I had read over the years. The best part of this forum was the experience and knowledge of "old timers" in this industry ...which they were willing to share. I agree... let's try this I get this going again!
Glad I stopped by today.... Smile
forums is a great place to learn more good things,meet more friends with same interest on nail care here. besides, hope we could sure anything about nails here and enjoy a wonderful days on forums.
# beauty.geekhigh.com/ #

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 1,653
05-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Last Postmlenails