You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from a newbie in Southern California!
Hello everyone. I am a nail student in Southern California. If you think back to your student days then you may remember how I currently feel – overwhelmed, thirsty for knowledge and excited! I look forward to learning as much as I can from this forum; so I will thank everyone in advance for their generosity and taking the time to post their knowledge and wisdom. BTW, I also have a post in the “Mentoring” forum. I would be grateful if you would take a moment to read it. Take care!
(03-16-2017, 09:38 AM)Gregory Wrote: Hello everyone. I am a nail student in Southern California. If you think back to your student days then you may remember how I currently feel – overwhelmed, thirsty for knowledge and excited! I look forward to learning as much as I can from this forum; so I will thank everyone in advance for their generosity and taking the time to post their knowledge and wisdom. BTW, I also have a post in the “Mentoring” forum. I would be grateful if you would take a moment to read it. Take care!

Hi! 

I'm a newbie as well. Just started my course and I'm loving it! I eat, sleep and drink nails! lol. Okay maybe I don't eat them or drink them but I sure do think about them all the time. I totally understand what your'e feeling.... For me, this is a major career change after 20 years working in the Administrative field and I wish I'd done it sooner! 

Today I got my student card and I was finally able to go into our local beauty supply store and sign up for an account and of course I was super excited....  I got to talking to a few other ladies in the store. It was so nice but then I just had to open my mouth to explain an issue I was having with acrylics and my newbie status became very apparent to them! They quietly shuffled off and ignored me after that.... Which was kinda sad... but I get it. I'm not at their level just yet and they want to talk nails not teach them! I really can't wait to walk in there with a set of super awesome blinged out nails and be able to say, "Yes, I did these. I am a Nail Tech!"...  For now though, I just need (and want) to soak it all up. 

I just wanted to say hello to a fellow student.... I wouldn't mind a mentor too but I also like the idea of having other students to talk to. We can share our experiences and vent frustrations or whatever. It will be awesome! Big Grin
(07-21-2017, 07:58 PM)Funky Fab Nails Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 09:38 AM)Gregory Wrote: Hello everyone. I am a nail student in Southern California. If you think back to your student days then you may remember how I currently feel – overwhelmed, thirsty for knowledge and excited! I look forward to learning as much as I can from this forum; so I will thank everyone in advance for their generosity and taking the time to post their knowledge and wisdom. BTW, I also have a post in the “Mentoring” forum. I would be grateful if you would take a moment to read it. Take care!

Hi! 

I'm a newbie as well. Just started my course and I'm loving it! I eat, sleep and drink nails! lol. Okay maybe I don't eat them or drink them but I sure do think about them all the time. I totally understand what your'e feeling.... For me, this is a major career change after 20 years working in the Administrative field and I wish I'd done it sooner! 

Today I got my student card and I was finally able to go into our local beauty supply store and sign up for an account and of course I was super excited....  I got to talking to a few other ladies in the store. It was so nice but then I just had to open my mouth to explain an issue I was having with acrylics and my newbie status became very apparent to them! They quietly shuffled off and ignored me after that.... Which was kinda sad... but I get it. I'm not at their level just yet and they want to talk nails not teach them! I really can't wait to walk in there with a set of super awesome blinged out nails and be able to say, "Yes, I did these. I am a Nail Tech!"...  For now though, I just need (and want) to soak it all up. 

I just wanted to say hello to a fellow student.... I wouldn't mind a mentor too but I also like the idea of having other students to talk to. We can share our experiences and vent frustrations or whatever. It will be awesome! Big Grin

Hello Funky Fab Nails,

It’s so wonderful to hear from a fellow student! Doing nails will be a second career for me as well. After many years in the financial services industry I’m looking forward to a career where creativity is rewarded and not frowned upon.

I’m sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at the beauty supply store. I hope you don’t judge the entire nail industry based on those few ladies. Most of the experienced Nail Professionals I’ve encountered have been quite willing to be helpful and share information. For example, I went to my first nail show last spring and got to meet some of the “Nail-ebrities” I’ve only seen on YouTube, etc and they couldn’t have been nicer! I hope your future encounters go better for you.

Where are you in your classes? I’ve completed my theory classes and the basic manicure and pedicure; so I’m now starting the enhancements. And this is where I know I will need help and guidance. For example, there are so many product lines to choose from …. how does a newbie decide which ones to start with?

Thank you for taking the time to say hello. I agree talking to other students who are facing similar challenges and experiences would be awesome!  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 751
07-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Last PostKimiya
Replies: 3
Views: 2,275
02-22-2014, 11:47 PM