You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day        Orlando SocialOrlando Network Social
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Training the receptionist (was - Just have to vent.)
08-29-2007, 12:56 AM
 (Print Post)
Training the receptionist (was - Just have to vent.)
So our receptionists occasionally(understatement) seem to have booking problems.. ie. not allowing enough time for a service, not asking what type of nails they have on if they are a new client( my salon only does gels), and not writing down what the service is for. Its getting really annoying. They get told over and over.
Anyway, I have been really dilligent on keeping an eye on my books and was looking at tomorrow and noticed there was a client that i didnt recognize, and in a hour spot, with no service listed. So I called her. She said it was for a fill (btw I book and hour and a half for new clients) then I asked her what type of nails she had on, she said acrylic. So I politely told her we only do gels, would that be ok. Dang, she was rude. She said "i'm not interested" then left me hanging and didnt say anything. So I said, I'm assuming you want to cancel? Then she was shocked to hear that out of 5 techs, nobody does acrylic. We specialize in gels, and it shows. We all do a great job, probably one of the best gel salons in my city (not to toot our own horn or anything, lol Big Grin Needless to say shes not coming in.
Anyway, I'm just tired of the receptionist not getting things right the first time, then I would not have had to get griped at by this woman.
And I'm sick of gels being given a bad rap by who knows what. Not sure if the NSS shops are dissing true gels or what. I just hear from so many people that "I had gels once, they arent strong, they lift, etc." and more often then not, if a client says they have gels on or that they have worn them before, they are surprised when I start doing gels (real gels) on them. Then I have to tell them that I'm sorry, they got fooled.
ok so this post didnt have much of a point to it, but thanks for listening anyway Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2007, 01:24 AM
 (Print Post)
Re: Just have to vent.
If they've already been told then I guess there's not much that can be done about the receptionists. BUT, just keep doing what you're doing with your GEL nails. You're doing awesome. Smile

Michele
08-29-2007, 07:13 AM
 (Print Post)

Who's "in charge" of the receptionists? Speak to their immediate supervisor, be prepared with a listing of your service times, and possibly a script for them to follow when booking new extension clients.

I know it's a pain in the butt, and quite frankly you shouldn't have to hold their hand and walk them through booking a client....but in the end it may make your life easier and you and they will know that you went above and beyond to assist them in their scheduling challenges. In our place all the nail techs have had the the same booking and front desk issues...the problem was we would say something, but it was never passed on appropriately to the other front desk staff...so we started to sound like harping shrews....and after a while out of disgust for having to repeat ourselves over and over again we would get a bit snippy with the front desk staff....
We had to resort to an off hours front desk/nail department meeting. Management couldn't understand why the nail techs were so pissed off all the time at the front desk....now things are much clearer and its working better for everyone. We all agreed that the challenge was that with 4 nail techs and 5 receptionists we were never all there at the same time so there was a huge communication breakdown, not to mention that there was no direction to the front desk from management supporting the nail techs scheduling needs.
Good luck!

Alice Wallace
High Road To Education Team
Find all posts by this user
08-29-2007, 07:38 AM
 (Print Post)

I completely agree with Alice....write out all your service times and service prices....etc......more often, we can accomplish more when "complaining or inquiring" about a situation when we can offer a solution or idea to help it out.....I think this is definatley the way to go!

hth
Smile Good luck!

http://newenglandnailevents.webs.com/
http://www.freewebs.com/nailcreations
08-29-2007, 07:46 AM
 (Print Post)

Are our receptionists related? :shock: :lol:
08-29-2007, 08:00 AM
 (Print Post)

man- apparently my receptionist is related to a whole bunch of others! I didnt know she had so much "family" lollololol, I know what you are dealing with, it is annoying, I just went to my owners yesterday to get it settled, now I am waiting to see what happens. I get VERY picky about my book and I know how much time I need, so do they because I hvae given them a paper to tell them- apparently they cant read!

"in order to succeed your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure".
08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
 (Print Post)

ok, this is coming from a current spa/salon receptionist. Just needed to get my words in.

First, I think a lot of people who become receptionists are young and have no real background, but like getting there hair and nails done so think it will be fun to do. As a result they usually don't really understand what a receptionist actually does.

On the other hand, it's really hard work, especially when you're dealing with nails, estys and stylists. Walk-ins may come in and say they're fine with an appointment in 20 mins, and they'll go get a coffee then they never come back. I've had plenty of nail clients say they had gels when I ask on the phone, but have acrylics when they come in. Or they say they want a mani, but they get here and change their mind and want french and parrafin too. Sometimes a client really needs a service done at a specific time, so will book with a different tech then their regular one. None of these things can be blamed on the receptionist. I've also apologize to clients and my techs when it is my mistake, everyone makes them.

Management makes all the difference in these situations. Thank god mine is good, and also a tech.
08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
 (Print Post)

I do understand your position as a receptionist, and appreciate your input. the current new gal we haev thinks it is "fun" since she has been coming there to get her hair/nails done,. but she is messing up! we haev a great one and then the new one........some know and some dont, some are trained well and do a good job, others are trained and flat out dont care, it is a "job". I do realize that people call saying they want certain things and then get there and it is a whole diffrent story and that is NOT the receptionist fault, that is kinda like shooting the messanger in a sense. so you either adjust and take them, or tell them to reschedule since your time doesnt allow for it. I prefer to place the blame where it lies, and in my case on a daily basis it is the new receptionist........hopefully we hvae fixed the issues as of today and things will be better.....

"in order to succeed your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure".
08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
 (Print Post)

Receptionist???? what's is that???? lol Big Grin
08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
 (Print Post)

Give the recep a mani, and while she's in your chair, gently tell her about the kinds of things you mentioned in your post. Tell her that it affects your business, and you'd just like to help her be successful while protecting your business. Just an idea. Hope all works itself out. Good Luck.

Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
08-30-2007, 07:14 AM
 (Print Post)

thanks for the tip terri- however, she goes to the other nail tech,,,,,,,,has for quite some time now, so she is kinda in cahoots with her........funny thing is though that it seems alot of the new clients that I have been doing she knows .....LOL and they are the ones I personally have booked that she didnt know about! now see.....if she would just tell the peolpe she knows I would be busier! LOL

10-12-2007, 06:41 AM
 (Print Post)

Just a suggestion......

go on computer for all appointments.....

and then when a service is booked the time is automatically blocked

(and you can change the amount of time for each service, even for the same service but with different people- can have different time booked!)

Love my computer system........ I use Salon Iris (http://www.saloniris.com)

HTH,

Melissa Pechey in MA
Licensed Nail Professional
Salon Owner

http://www.missnailpro.com
http://www.thematrixsalon.com

"My blood runneth Retention+..."

"Short Cuts Make Long Delays"
-The Hobbit
10-13-2007, 07:51 AM
 (Print Post)

Hi Melissa.. Smile

Curious to know if you also use this Saloniris as a cash drawer so to speak or a way to keep track of your finances?
03-02-2008, 05:02 PM
 (Print Post)
salon pro
our salon computer system does all of it.... it even trains the receptionist... haha.. anyway.. It's call Spa/Salon Manager. I'm not sure the website but it'll track inventory and everything. it's great. we love it.
03-03-2008, 03:04 PM
 (Print Post)
Re:
As someone who did the receptionist thing at a salon for awhile - before becoming a nail tech, I think it needs to be said that reception is one of the toughest jobs IN the salon - trust me when I say that I got it from the clients AND staff - it is a lot more difficult that you would imagine - I worked at a very busy salon and had to keep track of 45 different employees schedules, service times, clients, and payments, plus answer 4 phone lines, clean, make coffee, and generally keep the place afloat.

So, remember to be nice to them and maybe even offer to help out sometimes if it looks like they might need it (less problems on your books that way)... don't get in the way, and don't scream at them (trust me, they're under enough pressure as it is)...

At least, that was the way it was for me...