You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shot myself in the foot :(
Hi everyone......

I started off with low prices to attract new customers, letting them know that this was introductory pricing. I am now fully confident in my work lasting and my nail art is coming along.

I am being taken advantage of by some of my first clients who plunk down the same amount at the end of every session, and I am too nice to say anything.

I did a fill-in with hard gel, plus gel polish, plus cute nail art and the woman (who at first was giving me $30 every time) plunked down a $20, thanked me, and walked out. I didn't realize it was only a $20 until I had walked her to the door and retrieved the money from my table.

My work lasts her 3 weeks (sometimes longer), so I KNOW she is getting a good deal. She has had rave compliments every time I've done her nails, but it bothers me that she thinks $20 was enough. It SHOULD'VE been $34 according to my current pricing.

What's done is done, and I should be more vocal, but I am TOO NICE.

My solution is to inform everyone through facebook and text that my official pricing is going into effect May 1, just so they can be prepared to pay more next time. I plan to send a snapshot of my pricing list, and then begin passing them out as they come in the next time. And also, when they make a new appt with me (most don't book until they are ready for a fill) that I remind them/inform them of the pricing increases.

Does this sound polite? I don't want to rub anyone wrong, but I refuse to do another session like that for $20.

Thanks for your input!
I put my new price list on my desk in their face, i'll even give them once of, but i only brought x amount, but remind them that its only once! Everyone goes up in prices, the grocery store doesn't send us a text when they increase milk, so you are going above and beyond. Don't feel bad if you lose some ppl as well. It happens...
I'd be tempted to say... when they call for an appointment... something like... "you know, I raised my prices... "

sad isn't it....
I'd seen too often, when a salon offers "discounts" many later resent paying any higher price.... there will be some appreciative clients but some... in busier days, when forced to the sale by salon policy, I would later just not book the clients who did not want to pay... I use quality product and do attentive work...
but... the economy changed too....

after 6 years of not raising prices I raised them $1.00 each service

many are generous tippers... I suppose the tip they used to make covered the small increase
but... if the amount they were tipping was right for my services...
it would be nice if the added the extra dollar...
about half did and some, as usual, those least afford it...

I know some are going to say... you need to charge what the service is worth......

the soap box part.....
sadly, I can't compete with the local low prices and it seems... having a knowledgeable tech, having sanitary conditions and not having nails damaged... is not worth more....
can't tell you how often I seen a walk in who asks why their nails are peeling off.. and I mean sometimes to the nail bed... when I talk them about what should be done (and not done while the nail filed or "buffed" off by their previous manicurist grows..."but she doesn't file the tops of my nails" well I can see the scratches from a coarse file across the nail..."what ever she is doing, she is removing nail plate"... they call if "buffing" and say it IMPROVES growth) ... I think...wow... a new client...they are going to be so impressed...

then... I guess they must not be pleased... they don't return (well, two have)

some are down to the nail bed at the center edge... yikes....