You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard gel as base for SOG
I've been reading past threads about using hard gel as a base under SOG. I use Nailite extra hard clear and Gelish polish.

I normally do hard gel enhancements as well as acrylics, so this is my first go of SOG without building a thicker base. My first client I tried this on had a chip after about 6 days, and then chipped another nail shortly thereafter. I did a base case of extra hard clear and then applied the gel polish as normal (2 coats color, 1 coat SOG top).

I have been digging around and found a thread that said I needed two layers of the hard gel before applying the SOG. Does anyone have any experience with this? And if so, did it stop the chipping? I'm worrying about getting the hard gel layer too thick and my client not being happy with it.

Thanks!

Beth Smile
hard Gel is not as flexible as SOG so if you use a thin layer it will chip. if your client doesn't want enhancements then why would you use hard gel anyway? I personally use brisa lite if I need extra strength since it is meany to be applied thin under SOG
(11-13-2015, 03:42 PM)NailzOnLine Wrote: hard Gel is not as flexible as SOG so if you use a thin layer it will chip. if your client doesn't want enhancements then why would you use hard gel anyway? I personally use brisa lite if I need extra strength since it is meany to be applied thin under SOG

I want to be able to file off the SOG instead of soak it off. She was looking for an alternative to soaking it off in acetone, as she has had an adverse reaction to acetone in the past.

I will look into Brisa lite. Thank you!
Did the gel polish chip or the hard gel? I do a hard gel base all the time. If you are not building an apex, the jard gel should be pretty flexible like IBD or Masterworks. Jess in WA is an Akzentz educator and teaches this technique as the 30 day manicure.
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
Google 30 day mani

I'd love to incorporate just don't know how to get this concept started in the salon!!!!!
(11-13-2015, 11:43 PM)scotchtapeandrhinestones Wrote: Did the gel polish chip or the hard gel? I do a hard gel base all the time. If you are not building an apex, the jard gel should be pretty flexible like IBD or Masterworks. Jess in WA is an Akzentz educator and teaches this technique as the 30 day manicure.

The SOG chipped and the hard gel chipped, all the way to the natural nail on one side of the free edge. It could have been a fluke thing, but she had another chip the next day. I'm seeing her on Wednesday to change out color and will see about doing two thin hard gel layers first.

I'm using Nailite extra hard gel, maybe I should switch to a softer gel from them? Like the gentle gel?

I'm still experimenting, so I hate to invest in a lot of product that I won't use.

Thanks!

Beth Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 21
Views: 16,210
05-16-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Postscotchtapeandrhinestones
Replies: 5