You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please read! I don't know how I feel about this...
I found this article yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/nyregi....html?_r=0

And this one today:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/perfect...ar-BBjpnK3

Everyone in the industry needs to read these, even though they're geared to consumers. (Don't bother to read the comments; they're bad for your blood pressure)

It makes me wonder about our industry... I'm so glad that I work part-time in my home salon on my few loyal clients.

So what does everyone think?
Kinda disappointing that no one has an opinion.....
Oh, I have an opinion. I live in NYS, home of the 19.95 mani pedi specials promoted by these non-standard salons (NSS), a term that bothers me greatly, because it sounds a lot nicer than wage theft, unacceptable sanitation, and exploitation. There are bad salon owners of all races and persuasions. The common denominator is the owner wants to make money without IRS, OSHA, and in this case, immigration compliance. The state has known about this problem for years, but in the face of public outcry, they are now being proactive. If they had been proactive and enforced the law, we wouldnt need to now assemble an emergency panel of people who know nothing about nails. I fully expect them to staff said panel with hair stylists, doctors, and public health advocates, and not a single knowledgeable nail tech.

My solution? For all salons, hair and nail alike: Increase licensing fees. Increase penalties for noncompliance, n start penalizing for EVERY SINGLE INFRACTION. The monies brought in will pay for the inspectors, and people will think twice about non compliance.
The articles have been thoroughly discussed on Facebook.
Oddly, not everyone on the planet is on facebook.
(05-11-2015, 02:48 PM)LOZLOSA Wrote: Oh, I have an opinion. I live in NYS, home of the 19.95 mani pedi specials promoted by these non-standard salons (NSS), a term that bothers me greatly, because it sounds a lot nicer than wage theft, unacceptable sanitation, and exploitation. There are bad salon owners of all races and persuasions. The common denominator is the owner wants to make money without IRS, OSHA, and in this case, immigration compliance. The state has known about this problem for years, but in the face of public outcry, they are now being proactive. If they had been proactive and enforced the law, we wouldnt need to now assemble an emergency panel of people who know nothing about nails. I fully expect them to staff said panel with hair stylists, doctors, and public health advocates, and not a single knowledgeable nail tech.

My solution? For all salons, hair and nail alike: Increase licensing fees. Increase penalties for noncompliance, n start penalizing for EVERY SINGLE INFRACTION. The monies brought in will pay for the inspectors, and people will think twice about non compliance.

I agree that the penalty fees are not high enough. I don't get worked up over this, but it does make me a bit angry that the NSS are able to get away with it for years. Why are we going to school and paying for a license yet the NSS issue persist? Maybe someday this will be regulated better.
I know how I feel: disgusted, frustrated, sad, mad, and at the same time not at all surprised.

This is the industry's dirty little secret that doesn't get talked about. We all know NSS salons screw over clients and employees, but no one does anything about it.

I would say that the schools needs to do a better job of teaching students about compensation structure and fairness, but so many techs working in NSS never even go to school anyway, idk if it would even help.

i think the lid has been blown off by these articles, though, and hopefully these issues won't get swept under the rug and will be addressed. But truthfully we will never get any of this fixed until the industry starts policing itself, turning in bad owners and refusing to work for salons that don't follow the rules.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 2,055
11-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Last Postscratchmyback
Replies: 14
Views: 8,011
07-13-2013, 05:00 PM