You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gel Base coat over acrylic/hard gel
I am learning both acrylics (I use CND retention) and hard gel (mostly Nailite's line). I am still in school but will be finished soon and want to transition into soak-off gels and offer that along with hard gel and acrylics.

My question is, do I need to use a base gel over the hard gel/acrylic before applying the colored gel? I want to get away from regular polish and offer mainly soak off gels on top of acrylics/hard gels as well as a stand alone service.

Thank you!

Beth Heart
(01-27-2015, 10:49 AM)SoonerGirlNails Wrote: I am learning both acrylics (I use CND retention) and hard gel (mostly Nailite's line). I am still in school but will be finished soon and want to transition into soak-off gels and offer that along with hard gel and acrylics.

My question is, do I need to use a base gel over the hard gel/acrylic before applying the colored gel? I want to get away from regular polish and offer mainly soak off gels on top of acrylics/hard gels as well as a stand alone service.

Thank you!

Beth Heart

I always apply the base coat anyway, because I have had problems with the gel polish (I have used OPI gelcolor and shellac) peeling if I do not use the base.
I use IBD just gel on top of a hard gel base. I use a very thin coat of the just get base coat, 2 coats of colored gel, and l coat of their top coat. It lasts for ages and when I soak it off the hard gel base is left protecting my natural nail. I just lightly file the base coat and the part of the natural nail that is showing and apply another coat of base hard gel and start over. IBD has just come out with a new hard gel that is cured under led and I can't wait to use it. It will cut off a lot of time. Very pleased with this procedure.
I've done gel polish directly on top of hard gel thats been finished filed and with using a base coat on top of hard gel - no problem either way.
I do not soak off the gel polish off an enhancement - when a client comes in for a gel fill, I use my electric file to file off gel polish color off & reduce and rebalance (you could hand file to reduce & rebalance).
I rarely use a base coat over Gels or acrylics before applying gel polish. I use Artistic Color Gloss and no peeling or chipping. Just make sure your surface is not filed to smooth.
(01-28-2015, 10:09 PM)Anitalouise Wrote: I use IBD just gel on top of a hard gel base. I use a very thin coat of the just get base coat, 2 coats of colored gel, and l coat of their top coat. It lasts for ages and when I soak it off the hard gel base is left protecting my natural nail. I just lightly file the base coat and the part of the natural nail that is showing and apply another coat of base hard gel and start over. IBD has just come out with a new hard gel that is cured under led and I can't wait to use it. It will cut off a lot of time. Very pleased with this procedure.

I will definitely look into this. Sounds like a good game plan!
Thanks for all the replies, friends! I will try both procedures, with and without a base coat, but it sounds like it doesn't matter all that much and might save me a buck or two if I don't use it over my hard gel/acrylic enhancements and save it for my soak-off gels.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 1,319
01-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Postbevlnt
Replies: 21
Views: 15,429
05-16-2016, 11:19 PM