You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to not be a pushover?
So at the current moment I am not in a salon, I'm simply taking the occasional family member/friend and working on them from home. Even from home, I still charge because I'm using my own supplies and sanitizing liquids etc. and it's expensive on a budget like mine. Most people understand that I am doing this to get some extra income and respect that. But I still have the occasional person that wants me to do their nails and are expecting it for free, or I said I would give them a free mani as a birthday or christmas present and they try to add a pedicure in thinking it will be free too when it's really not. In a salon, clients know they won't get full services for free unless it's been pre arranged or via coupon etc. so in a salon I never encountered this problem before; so encountering it now I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. What is really the best way to handle this situation without upsetting the person? How do I let them know that they are expected to pay for the service without sounding rude or mean to them? And if it does ruffle their feathers, is there anyway to diffuse the situation?
I am back in the salon working as a booth renter after 11 years. Since I work for myself, I can't afford to offer free nail services. I have a friend that I use as a model when I want to try out a new product, so occasionally I do something free for her, but she's the only one. She's a loyal paying client - always has been. When she came to my house to get her nails done, she paid my regular prices and never asked for a discount.

Always charge whether you're in a salon or working out of your house. When it's your bread and butter, you have to let friends and family know that you can't pay your bills with free nail services. I know my electric company won't accept a "free nail service" receipt in exchange for free electricity. Lol

There will be some friends and family members who won't like it, but you have to stick to your guns. After all, your goal is to make money, not give free nail services away. Products aren't cheap. Ask them if they'll work 40 hours and take a reduction in their weekly paycheck - bet you they won't! Because they value their time and what they do, and feel they should be paid in full value for it. You have to look at your craft the same way. Don't let other's downplay what you do to make to money. When my friends say my prices are too high, I say "compared to what? The NSS that uses mystery products on your hands?" I let them know they get quality services with me and leave it at that. My feelings aren't hurt - because they aren't the kind of client I want. If they want to pay cheap prices, they can head on over to the local McNails. Lol

I'm a sweet, soft spoken person, and sometimes I come off timid. I'm far from timid! I never let anyone make me feel guilty about charging what I'm worth. And neither should you! Educate your clients - because I'm 100% sure they're not getting educated at the local McNails salon.

Chrissy
Love Those Toes Nail Spa
Washington, DC