You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ccfl/led basic question
Hi.

Really new here, and I am currently in school to be a nail tech.

I am wanting to buy a lamp for all gels. I've read some posts on here, but I'm just still not sure if a light is ccfl and led will it cure all gels? Non led gels, led gels, uv gels, hard gels, gel polish Etc etc.

I'm still learning, lol Smile
You would have to follow the GEL manufacturer recommendation. . . For instance Light Elegance hard gels only cure in UV light, but Artistic Rock Hard cures in LED or UV... Shellac only cures in UV (and they say only their CND light), and Gelish cures in both UV or LED.....follow MFG directions.
Thanks. Smile

But what is a ccfl and led lamp? Is it designed to cure uv gel and led gel?

(12-13-2014, 02:12 AM)MandyCAN Wrote: Hi.

Really new here, and I am currently in school to be a nail tech.

I am wanting to buy a lamp for all gels. I've read some posts on here, but I'm just still not sure if a light is ccfl and led will it cure all gels? Non led gels, led gels, uv gels, hard gels, gel polish Etc etc.
over a short spectrum
I'm still learning, lol Smile

There are three types of lights used to cure gel polishes:
CFL - Compact Florescent Light
CCFL - Cold Cathod Florescent Light
LED - Light Emitting Diode

LED and CCFL have long life - 30-50k hours; CFL and CCFL emit light over a broad spectrum (300-400nm); LED emits more intense light, but over a shorter spectrum.

In order to cure a gel, a lamp has to emit the right wavelength light, at the right intensity, for the right amount of time. This is affected by the design of the lamps, reflectors, etc. Each gel product may have a different requirement. so you should use the lamp recommended by that manufacturer. What this generally means is that there is no one lamp that cures every gel.It is the Holy Grail of lamps, but to date, it does not appear that anyone's done it yet.
Ok so if I'm wanting to try out different brands I would have to buy the light too? There are lights out there that are their own brand so how does that work.

It seems like, yes the very most professional thing to do is buy the light for which brand you use. But there has to be other things you can do other then that.

To me that seems like saying that I have to use the same file, from the company I buy gel from. Obviously that is what the company wants.
Unfortunately this is a can of worms - technicians on here will say YES you have to- it's the right way to do it to see the results of the products. . . .
Catch 22 - I've been there I understand.
If you want to be sampling products at home and not in a salon - probably get a reputable 36 watt lamp - however follow MFG instructions - if it says UV cure it will NOT cure in LED - start off working smarter and follow their instructions. However remember you may not be getting the actual results had you followed the recommendation of light, etc... there's a potential of under curing- I'd advise you to look up Doug Schon - you can find he is an expert on your questions about lights & gels - he's on Facebook, Instagram, and has his own website - it would be worthwhile to look at his information on this subject.
Good luck!
Thanks Smile I'm started to see now. I will look him up.

As for uv and led lights. Magnetic nails makes one. It has separate buttons for uv and led.

Thanks everyone. As a new tech I'm sure I'll be back with more questions Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 2,331
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Last Postjimsjadab
Replies: 6
Views: 7,077