You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to market yourself
What is the best way to market yourself? Obviously I know word of mouth is good but i am just starting out and need customers. Any ideas? I need ways to market and advertise myself? I have gotten many bad comments regarding groupon so I would like to stay away from that.
(12-15-2013, 11:26 PM)Killereyez83 Wrote: What is the best way to market yourself? Obviously I know word of mouth is good but i am just starting out and need customers. Any ideas? I need ways to market and advertise myself? I have gotten many bad comments regarding groupon so I would like to stay away from that.

You can set up a Facebook page with pics of your nail art to advertise yourself. But word of mouth is the very best, tried and true way to get your name out there.
Thanks. I did set up a facebook with pics of my work. I am new so its hard to get word of mouth when i dont have that many clients.
The absolute best way to market yourself in the very beginning is also the hardest way for many of us: Get out there and hustle. Make personal contact with potential clients. Approach strangers, introduce yourself, give them your card, invite them to your business.

For a lot of people, we just aren't that self assured and making personal contact with total strangers is intimidating.

Do your nails in the manner which you would like to do others' nails. If you want to do lots of bling'd out acrylic stilettos-- wear them. If you want to specialize in natural manicures-- wear it. Then seek out people who either have no nails at all, or wear their nails the way you like doing, screw up the courage to walk up to them and say something like, "Hi, I noticed you wear your nails short and natural. I recently became a professional nail technician and I'm working on building my clientelle. Here's my business card and a special offer for new clients; I'd love to have you visit me for a manicure."

Come up with a "new client" offer like a $$$ or % off their first service-- first service only as an incentive to get them in your chair.

Put together a really enticing referral program so they will work for you. I offered a $5 off first service. I had cards printed up with that on the back and a line for my regular client to write her name. I gave the NEW client $5 off AND I gave my regular client $5 off for the referral.

I let regular clients use their credits as they added up, or save them up so they could just get a free service.

My referral program was the MOST successful promotion I have ever run, and it helped build my clientelle back when I was starting out.

I happen to be terrible at approaching people. Especially when I was starting out. It's still the best way to hustle up a clientelle in the shortest time... but it's advice easier said than done. Blush

Open a Facebook page or Instagram account (talk to people and find out what most people are into in your area, around here, adults have FB, the kids are all Instagram) and POST DAILY!

Social networking really does work, but only if you use it. And make sure you are posting relevant photos. Don't just share news stories and ecards, post photos of nails and stories about nails.

Good luck!

Maggie Franklin: Art of Nailz, Visalia CA
http://blogs.nailsmag.com/maggie
http://www.artofnailz.biz
Thanks. I gave out some business cards at a holiday party we went to.. I had one person say " my nails must look horrible".. Since then i have hessitated giving any cards out.. Its hard to approach people not knowing how they will react.
Maggie has some great ideas. Also, check out the blogs on Nails Magazine (find it easily through the link at the bottom of Maggie's post), they also have a coaching blog where I know they've written about a bunch of ideas on how to reach out to your community. They had some really creative suggestions that I think would work really well.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com