You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manicure Lasting
I was told that my manicures chip faster than the other techs in the salon. We use Vinylux mostly, but we also have China Glaze and OPI and some Essie colors. My prep for the Vinylux is removing polish, file nails, use CND Cuticle Away/push back cuticles and deactivate with soap and water. Buff lightly. Clean the nail with ScrubFresh, two thin coats of color and then Vinylux top coat. She also has be using Bond-aid to dehydrate the nail before polish, so I've been doing that. My prep for regular polish is basically the same but we use CND Sticky base coat and Seche Vite top coat. I always try to cap the free edge. Can I say with 100% certainty that I've always done it…no Sad. Thats where I think my problem is. I do my own nails with the same prep and don't have any chipping on myself. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I'm using China Glaze First and Last and have had my mani on a solid 7 days and just saw chipping this morning. I believe Scrub Fresh is also a dehydrator so no need for Bond-Aid too.

You have to do good prep, which you have, as well as have a good base and top. They say you should use the same brand base and top coat, but that's not always true. Have you tried letting your polish dry a bit between coats before applying the top coat? Sometimes if the polish is applied too thick and them you apply a top coat you'll get peeling and chipping.....

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
I'm not a huge fan of the seche vite top coat. I have the china glaze first and last at home. Maybe I'll bring it in. I normally go right into the top coat from the second color coat. I'll try to let it dry a bit! Thanks for the input!!
Awwwww hun! I am sure that is discouraging for ya, but from what you described seems to me that ya are doing the right steps and prep for the VinyLux!. Same steps I do and mine will stay on for at least a week, if not more. Are your clients using their oil everyday? Do you know for sure they are being honest and telling ya the truth? Have ya done the same application on yourself that ya do on your clients? That should tell ya how your application method fairs. Keep doing whatcha doing!
The only difference between the manis I do on myself and the ones on my clients is the polish. I have my own vinylux colors at home. But the other tech obviously uses the salon polish on her clients. Her manis last a week and a half....
No need to buff the natural nails, however that is probably not contributing to the chipping. Be generous with the top coat, and be sure to cap the free edge of each nail with both the 2 color coats and the top coat. Just use Scrubfresh as your dehydrator, and be sure to also swipe under the free edge of each nail with it as well. Try this and let us know if it helps Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I only buff lightly, if there is peeling or to remove left over cuticle. Not much.
I'll have to try the scrubfresh under the nail and free edge. Thank you so much for all the suggestions!!! I appreciate it!
(10-24-2013, 12:23 PM)danyell48 Wrote: I only buff lightly, if there is peeling or to remove left over cuticle. Not much.
I'll have to try the scrubfresh under the nail and free edge. Thank you so much for all the suggestions!!! I appreciate it!

Good point. If there is peeling on the surface of the nail you'll need to buff that way otherwise anything you apply will chip, regardless of the brand. But you do not need to buff the nails if this isn't present. Do try the Scrubfresh and see if it helps Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I, too, do the same prep. Depending on which nail bond you are using it will probably still help to continue using it. I use Protein Bond by Young Nails and it does more than just dehydrate. Also, I have found that using 3 coats of color with many of the Vinylux polishes helps it last a little longer and gives a more event coverage, as long as the three coats aren't too think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 9
Views: 3,740
02-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Last PostAnna from Toronto