You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"damaged nails" from Hard Gel response
Hello - I was speaking with a client on Saturday & she had hard gel on for "years" and had the (Asian) salon remove them a few months back-- they filed them off with drill.
Her nails are still weak & flexible.
She was reluctant to have me do anything to her nails.
She thinks they "NEED TO breath" - so question #1 - what is good verbiage to say to this "need to be breath" thought people have??

Also- had a client in for regular Mani & tried to UP sell her to GP Mani. She had "hard gels" on a long time ago & said that after they were off her nails were damaged & she wants No part of Gel because gels cause damage-
So question # 2 - when people are reluctant to get gel or acrylic- because they say it damages the nail - what is your response?
I try to explain it could be the actual product xyz salon might be using, application, the way they removed product, filing aggressively- but I must say I have hard gel on & if I filed off my gel my Nails will be "thin" THUS "DAMAGED"!

Question # 3 - people always comment on how nice my nails are and the first thing they ask "are those FAKE NAILS"? I show them my natural nail underneath my gels- however I'm looking for a better response! Of course they comment about being thin too!

Question #4 - was doing hard gel & used IBD intense seal on top - it has High shine & is tack free - no wiping! I cured 1 hand 3 minutes in 36w & applied cuticle oil & lotion - wiped lotion off fingers dry & 1 nail was hazed or some parts shiny & a few areas dulled a bit- cured the other hand & followed exact procedure & 1 finger same thing.... I wiped with alcohol & re-applied sealer - didn't look quite right & on the other finger I wiped, white block buffed & re-applied sealer & still didn't seem right--- should I have put like protein bond on before sealer application? Or something else all together?

Question #5 - application question- Apply hard gel - cure - wipe - file to shape - buff (smooth???) - dust & wipe ? And apply gel polish & go top OR hard gel sealer OK?? Are steps OK??

Sorry to combine multiple questions in 1 post!

I always appreciate everyone's help here :-)
Thank you!!
One of my clients bought a magazine called Nail It. On page 87 september/october issue they answer 2 of your questions! It would be worth buying this magazine to make a copy and laminate it. Doug Schoon is mentioned also.
If you google "Do nails need to breathe" you will find so many articles on "NO THEY DON'T NEED TO BREATHE". That is a MYTH!
What i plan on doing for these misinformed people is to laminate one of the articles and hand to the next client that says they are taking a break for the winter to let their freakin nails breathe! Nails are as dead as business in the winter!
Enhancements sound much better than Fake.
Hope I could be of help even in a small way
When someone asks me if they are fake, I tell them that no, they are real nails wearing a suit of armor.
Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years
Fairytale Nails (Bring on the bling)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenda-Loc...1768602978
My all time favorite response to the "fake nails" question is to tell them that if they have their hair colored or permed does that mean their hair is fake?

Last time I checked, nails don't have lungs. ;o)

OMG - I LOVE THESE RESPONSES!!! Thank you!
*** I'll check out that article too!!!
:-)
When someone asks me about nails breathing, I explain that your natural nails get everything they need from your blood. And also nail coatings are permeable, so there is no need to remove on a regular basis.

As far as damage from nail coatings, it really depends on what you consider 'damage'. Of course rings of fire, bacteria that forms in lifted areas, torn layers of the nail plate from product being forced off, these things are all a result from poor workmanship or clients abuse. And these all happen during prep or removal. They're not caused by the product.

But to say that the nail will be in the exact same shape after removal as it was before isn't really true either. Wearing nail coatings for months at a time without removal will cause a temporary dehydration of the nail plate. This is why the regular use of cuticle oil is so important.

Look at the hair industry. They don't apologize, or ignore the condition of 'processed' hair. They just make the products available to treat this type of damage. And anyone who chooses to process their hair understands that they need to use conditioner.

Question #5 - after filing, don't buff, and don't wipe with cleanser before gel polish. And I like gel polish top coat over gel polish application.

Hope this helps Smile
(10-14-2013, 10:23 PM)jb100680 Wrote: Question #5 - after filing, don't buff, and don't wipe with cleanser before gel polish. And I like gel polish top coat over gel polish application.

Hope this helps Smile

Why would you not wipe with cleanser/alcohol after filing before gel polish?
Wearing enhancements actually raises the hydration level of the nail plate causing the nail plate to be soft upon first removal, but this is temporary.

My favorite response to "artifificial nails ruin your nails" is "the last time you had a bad haircut, did you blame the shears?"

Bad nail technicians cause damage, not products.
This is all awesome- I needed this!

I've had SOoooo many people saying "acrylic ruined my nails" "gel ruined my nails & made them thin like paper"

If doing a "fill" you don't actually file down to natural nails why are they thin & weak - just from dehydration? Being covered? People say their weak thin nails are damaged- and I always hear - "I was never told cuticle oil, if my nails are covered with a product why would I have bothered" - geeze thus its called CUTICLE oil- your cuticle isn't covered in GEL???
(10-15-2013, 08:31 AM)gelpro Wrote: Wearing enhancements actually raises the hydration level of the nail plate causing the nail plate to be soft upon first removal, but this is temporary.

Thank you!

@jimsjadab I prefer not to cleanse after filing because it can leave residue and keep the gel polish from sticking well if you don't let the cleanser dry out completely.
(10-15-2013, 02:13 PM)[email protected] Wrote: This is all awesome- I needed this!

I've had SOoooo many people saying "acrylic ruined my nails" "gel ruined my nails & made them thin like paper"

If doing a "fill" you don't actually file down to natural nails why are they thin & weak - just from dehydration? Being covered? People say their weak thin nails are damaged- and I always hear - "I was never told cuticle oil, if my nails are covered with a product why would I have bothered" - geeze thus its called CUTICLE oil- your cuticle isn't covered in GEL???

I was told that since gel polish is porous like acrylic the oil will penetrate the product. Even with hard gel, the oil can be applied under the nail and it helps a lot.

I always respond to the 'breathing' issue by telling them their nails don't have lungs. Some will ask about letting their nails 'rest', I tell them the nails have no muscles so there's no need for them to rest, they're not tired.
Ask the next person who says that if people should strip the hair color off their hair to let it breathe/rest. Watch the look on their face!
Love that Donna!! Lol!
(10-14-2013, 10:14 AM)youvegotnail! Wrote: My all time favorite response to the "fake nails" question is to tell them that if they have their hair colored or permed does that mean their hair is fake?

Last time I checked, nails don't have lungs. ;o)

Exactly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 4,381
10-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Last Postlovethosetoes
Replies: 8
Views: 6,491