You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dry mani??
Question - "dry" manicure or traditional "soak" in bowl manicure?

If you do a "dry" please share your steps/products/ procedure.

My salon thinks doing the traditional way is more of a luxury, she was insisting I do it with Gel polish - but I told her absolutely not- she thinks my dry manicure isn't a luxury & I should change it.
After gel polish SVC we do cuticle oil, lotion, massage & Hot towel. In regular Mani we do the same before polish - I think its fine!

Thanks!
We do all of our manis dry. Client washes hand prior to the service, cuticle oil, lotion, massage. We only do hot towel when we do a scrub or masque - our basic mani doesn't include hot towels. We are a higher end salon and have had zero complaints. We actually have clients say they hate soaking and are glad we don't do it; and I can't tell you how many actually thank us for making them wash their hands!
THere is nothing wrong with dry mani's. But, if your boss insists and you need your job than soaking it is.
She's pretty open - its just the way they have been doing it. I know for gel & gel polish- I told her I'm not soaking & explained why- but regular Mani I'm curious how many ppl soak & if not what are your steps :-)
Thx
I haven't done a wet mani in years!
We use the Keratin Gloves from http://www.bodipure.com that are made in Brazil. No need for a wet soaking manicure any more.

They are a very thin plastic glove filled with moisturizer, cuticle softener and nail strengthener. We have not had one complaint not doing wet manicures since using these gloves. Clients love the feel of their hands after using these. You snip the tips of the gloves and expose the finger tips only while performing the manicure, so the hands get a moisturizing treatment while you are working.

Our clients like them so much they ask to purchase the gloves for home use. I do believe they have a retail version for you to sell for clients to take home as well as bulk packaging - I have to remember to order some of those!!

I always do dry manis. My steps are: (hand 1) remove polish, clip/file, apply blue cross, clean under nails, push cuticles/remove excess, buff when necessary, apply cuticle oil. (hand 2) repeat all the same steps and then massage each hand.
Please describe a Manicure.???
Do not mix it up with a French paint- pink and white tips, called a French manicure.
A manicure consists of a diagnosis and client consultation and nail prep and filing and soak and scrub and mask and massage and paint and homecare advice!!
You are all talking about a service called a file and paint-whether the paint is polish or gel polish. No wonder that there is so much confusion- how confusing is it to our clients!!
Where I am from a regular Manicure is using regular polish where we file one hand, soak in Mani bowl, file other hand, take out first hand, soak other, then cuticle remover or softener applied & push back & nip if needed. Repeat on other hand. Lightly buff both, cuticle oil, lotion, massage & hot towel. Wipe nail bed with alcohol & proceed with base, polish x 2, top coat & nail dryer.

A Gel Mani - remove gel polish if needed, push cuticles, file, light buff, wipe with alcohol, apply gel polish base, color x 2, top coat, curing of course, wipe tacky, applyccuticle oil, lotion, massage & hot towel.

Obviously if we do more like scrub or paraffin then the service is extended with longer massage & considered "SPA Manicure".

If the regular Mani polish wants a "French" - we do the same procedure & add $3. No confusion? So far on a "regular" polish Mani we don't usually do tips- if requested - I'm sure its extra $$$ but without acrylic or hard gel will only be very temporary.

I really don't believe anyone is confused- I'm not really sure what is confusing about what anyone wrote?
I don't consider any service I perform file & paint - that sounds a bit cold for a salon menu - we call our service Manicure, Gel Manicure, Spa Manicure- Polish change- which is push cuticle, min file, buff, reg base, polish x 2, top coat.
I've heard salons doing gel polish reglazing - we haven't done that.

So - sorry if you were confused Mrs o - not sure why?
:-)
Thanks
With the greatest respect Ctonramk @l.com the fact that so many posters
Have asked
questions about dry manis/ wet manis/ some soak / some don't/ some use gloves/ I think it IS confusing for clients.
It may be standard where you are and maybe the same all across the USA but here in Ireland we have on going issues with clients booking in for a Manicure and approx 45 mins are booked out to find that they meant a French manicure (file and paint) and that can be done in 15/20 mins and that leads to confusion!
I
am not demeaning your servic es in any way ,you clearly know what you are doing and are doing it professionally. You have years and years of perfecting your salon menu and you have it down to a fine art
and I am am in awe of of your business acumen and am going follow your lead( cheeky I know, but honest I am)
My point was - Manicures vary hugely from salon to salon! And what IS a standard Manicure?
Very good point! I seriously didn't think there was much difference. I suppose most of my clients so far ( still new ) haven't had any issue with that... our confusion here is Acrylic vs Gel - soak off gel vs hard gel..... for instance a walk in came in today wanting her gel polish changed from a Asian salon- tried foil method- 10 minutes & it didn't budge - turns out to be hard gel - client said she never asked for that @ Asian salon & has been getting it apparently and AT THE GEL POLISH PRICE!
they don't know & get more mixed up here with places that do business like THAT - Ugh!

** Thanks I appreciate your feedback :-)
(10-15-2013, 08:22 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Very good point! I seriously didn't think there was much difference. I suppose most of my clients so far ( still new ) haven't had any issue with that... our confusion here is Acrylic vs Gel - soak off gel vs hard gel..... for instance a walk in came in today wanting her gel polish changed from a Asian salon- tried foil method- 10 minutes & it didn't budge - turns out to be hard gel - client said she never asked for that @ Asian salon & has been getting it apparently and AT THE GEL POLISH PRICE!
they don't know & get more mixed up here with places that do business like THAT - Ugh!

** Thanks I appreciate your feedback :-)

Oh Lord what a nightmare, what did you do? Can you charge for this,removal? Or would that lose you that client, it's very difficult and getting back to my original point , it's not all ways the clients fault , she was confused and thought she had a Gel polish on.
Don't you sometimes feel it's an uphill battle educating clients?

She was so happy I was honest- she understood me- I basically filed it down & didn't really remove it all - I figured we would let it grow out & keep it since we really don't know what was used..... I do like to educate clients - they seem to like to learn- they've never been told anything before. Especially when a client comes in for first time asking for a 'fill' - I start asking them -Gel?-Acrylic? They have no idea- and then are thrilled to know!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,493
11-04-2015, 12:20 AM
Last Postshawnesedavis
Replies: 3
Views: 3,501
01-26-2014, 01:50 PM