You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
nail beds white from shellac
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
 (Print Post)

Jess in WA :
> Try a solvent free Gel polish (100% gel) - you can easily tell which have solvent
> by smelling the bottle. There are only a few companies that offer this.

Jess I believe you and I are walking the same thought path here. A product that is solvent free, if no white spots appear, then that would lead to a single or combination of solvents reacting to cause the white spots

Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2011, 02:52 PM
 (Print Post)

I just want to make sure that there is a common understanding here and I was actually fairly accurate when I tried to say it was likely the product. I said maybe its shellac for a few reason, and I also said maybe its the acetone for obvious reasons of drying issues. So it cant really just be the pushing off causing the spots, ( even though it can cause damage ) the white we are talking about does have common links. Thanks ladies for helping me with that.
11-13-2011, 03:43 PM
 (Print Post)

I understand what you are saying Loraine. But do you also think that a person's chemical makeup has something to do with it also? If I missed that reference I apologize in advance.
11-13-2011, 04:26 PM
 (Print Post)

idonls :
> I understand what you are saying Loraine. But do you also think that a person's
> chemical makeup has something to do with it also? If I missed that reference
> I apologize in advance.

Oh I am liking this iPad!!!!!

Yes Cheryl, sure it can be a factor. Why does everyone not have allergic reactions to acrylic gel or whatever. Everyone has a different but similar chemical makeup, it would have to factor in, if indeed this is thrifty track.

I do not use any of the solvent brands. I have never seen these white spots. I would love to hear from others that are not using solvent brands. As a matter of fact I think I will send an email out to my customers @ manicuresthatlast.com and see what they say.

Lorraine, webgirl
11-13-2011, 04:29 PM
 (Print Post)

I finally had to make myself use two thumbs on my phone. Way faster that way.......lol!!

Thank you for responding. I feel that it is an important factor in why some are getting white spots and some are not and it isn't just one product causing the issue.
11-13-2011, 07:09 PM
 (Print Post)

I use Shellac. Axxium, and Eco and have seen white spots with all 3 brands. It is not with all clients and usually it is the clients that admit that they did not bother to use cuticle oil.

I also have a regular polish client who always wears dark colors and gets dryness and white spots so bad that I make her take 2 months off from polish once a year. They go back to normal when we do this.
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2011, 08:53 PM
 (Print Post)

MA Tech, the client you had eco with white spots, tell me did she ONLY use eco or did you alternate with other brands? Maybe eco base and/or top with other brand (solvent type) color?

Lorraine, webgirl
11-15-2011, 08:39 AM
 (Print Post)

Yes, it was all eco product... I do not mix my product lines.
11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
 (Print Post)

Well then that may just shoot my theory in the proverbial butt.

Maybe a freak, maybe something else. Possibly she has a medical condition, maybe I am grasping at straws here!

I still have not sent that mass mail out to my customers, but I have it on my to-do list, I hope to get to it tonight or tomorrow.

Lorraine, webgirl
11-16-2011, 01:02 AM
 (Print Post)

I am so glad this subject came up, because I have an elderly client who has bad white patches on her nails.
She had them before she started coming to me...which has been since the spring now....and they appear to be "in" the nail because they are growing out.
I too thought it was just a topical 'fungus' of some sort, because Ive come across that before. But she is old, and its not getting any better.

She was just getting manciures, and the patches would be there worse when I first started the mani, and removed her old polish.,.,,but at the end of the service-- they are barely noticealbe.
I do have pics on my phone... if someone wants to see them.
But I told her I was going to ask my Brilliant circle of Nail Techs'...from the board about it.... :wink:

Im pretty sure its just a reaction to either the acetone/remover and/or the chemicals in the polish itself.
However...I did start using the Shellac white on her, with regular polish and Shellac topcoat.....because I didnt want her entire nail exposed to the acetone when I had to remove it...this way, its really only the tips.
But it was really bad this last time. But again...when Im ready to reapply...its hardly noticeable.

I didnt put anything on her this last time..because I want to see how they look after a week and a half with no chemicals on them.

Any suggestions? Would this affect the natural nail in a bad way? I dont want to harm her..but if its just an esthetic problem...she and I can deal with that.

Thanks you guys,.... Smile

" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~
Full Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
 (Print Post)

Tracy, I have a client who has excessive white spots and lots of ridges. Like yours, her nails were that way when she came to me. I did notice that the white spots were more defined after soaking off in acetone, but subsided some after application of scrub, lotion, wax and cuticle oil. Last time she came in I removed Shellac with my e-file. This did seem to help reduced the amount of white spots.

Maybe this would be a good alternative for you with this partcular client of yours. Sounds like she has a tendancy to be on the dry side chemically so keeping her away from acetone might be helpful.
07-22-2012, 05:53 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: nail beds white from shellac
I think it might have a lot to do with the client. How dry are they to begin with? How long have they been soaking the nails off in acetone? Is the proper soak time being used or are we trying to push off remaining gel too soon? Are they using oil, gloves, cleaning chemicals. I have witnessed the white on a few nails and only on 2 people. That's very little compared to how many I see in total.
07-23-2012, 12:07 PM
 (Print Post)
RE:
(10-30-2011 10:11 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote:  Just so everyone knows, I get this on my toes when I've worn polish for months. I don't file the surface, I don't soak them in acetone, and I'm not wearing a sog. That pretty much blows holes in the theory that sog's are causing this.

It's some type of fungal infection ON TOP of the toe nail, is what I've been told. I believe I read it on BT quite some time ago. It can be filed off, or you can let it grow off. In the case of toes, it's easy with fall/winter coming on to leave it alone, and go 'nekkid' on the toes. Not so easy on the fingers, tho. Most people don't want that showing on their nat. nails.
06-17-2013, 10:04 AM
 (Print Post)
RE:
(10-29-2011 09:52 PM)AllDolledUp Wrote:  If the cuticle oil can penetrate through Shellac by rubbing it on the nail with Shellac on it, wouldn't that cause the product to lift? Sounds a little strange to me.

It wont make the nail life. Shellac is designed with tiny little tunnels so the acetone can penetrate, unlike gel polishes that have to be bufffed first because their top coat isnt able to let the oil penetrate. The oil keeps the nail flexible. It does sound like a strange concept, but it reallly does make a wonderful difference if the client is persistent with their cuiticle oil! A quality oil that is .I "prescribe" Dadi" Oil by Famous Names and it just works wonders. It doesnt happen overnight, but if a clients' nails get bad enough, they may need the polish removed and have them rub oil in their nails 3 times a day., especially before bed so it has all night to do its magic!

http://www.facebook.com/nailsbymichelleshoe Heart
06-30-2013, 09:15 AM
 (Print Post)
Hello- Interesting READ...I am still a new nail tech, and have a client I've been servicing since February. I have consistently used Gelish on her. Then we switched to Shellac (complete base color top)-- I saw her Saturday & she's worn Shellac for 2 services (4 Weeks now). Yesterday we soaked off in foil the Shellac & her nails were a MESS! White spots- Splits- cracks- under the Shellac- I FELT HORRIBLE!! And one nail was actually terribly thin!!!! I'm not aggressive with filing because I'm always afraid of hurting people * Even she said that! LOL- I'm wondering if she's had an allergic reaction to the brand **chemical make up**????
06-30-2013, 11:56 AM
 (Print Post)
I have had great luck with this challange by using Shellac remover by CND. It contains oils to help hydrate the nail.It does not effect the wear of the next Shellac mani

queenofdanail
07-05-2013, 02:53 AM
 (Print Post)
Have anyone try to use non-acetone to remove the sog? I've been using it for more than 2 years, it does take a bit longer than pure acetone . But most of my clients do not have any white spot on their nails , either dryness on the skin.
07-05-2013, 11:03 PM
 (Print Post)
Like I said--NO WHITE SPOTS for months using Gelish- I switched her to SHELLAC & did 2 gel polish manicure services & her nails are a mess-- she's back in Gelish- I'm thinking she had some type of allergic reaction to the particular product SHELLAC?? !! ??
10-16-2014, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2014 11:43 PM by pediqueen.)
 (Print Post)
RE:
(10-30-2011 10:11 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote:  Just so everyone knows, I get this on my toes when I've worn polish for months. I don't file the surface, I don't soak them in acetone, and I'm not wearing a sog. That pretty much blows holes in the theory that sog's are causing this.

It's some type of fungal infection ON TOP of the toe nail, is what I've been told. I believe I read it on BT quite some time ago. It can be filed off, or you can let it grow off. In the case of toes, it's easy with fall/winter coming on to leave it alone, and go 'nekkid' on the toes. Not so easy on the fingers, tho. Most people don't want that showing on their nat. nails.

It's nail fungus called:
White Superficial Onychomycosis. It can be on the toe nails or fingernails. It usually grows out when you wear no polish, but often comes back.
Look at Google images. Read about it.

Using polish that other people use can also be the culprit. Fungus has been shown to grow IN nail polish. Fungus is everywhere: In showers, gym, hand towels, the air etc. Athletes foot can also jump to the nails and cause nail fungus. So, bottom line, I personally believe the white spots after Shellac polish removal is indeed fungus no matter what CND says.
10-20-2014, 01:53 PM
 (Print Post)
RE:
(10-16-2014 11:20 PM)pediqueen Wrote:  

It's nail fungus called:
White Superficial Onychomycosis. It can be on the toe nails or fingernails. It usually grows out when you wear no polish, but often comes back.
Look at Google images. Read about it.

Using polish that other people use can also be the culprit. Fungus has been shown to grow IN nail polish. Fungus is everywhere: In showers, gym, hand towels, the air etc. Athletes foot can also jump to the nails and cause nail fungus. So, bottom line, I personally believe the white spots after Shellac polish removal is indeed fungus no matter what CND says.

Please be advised that fungus will not grow in nail polish of any kind. Polish is not an environment that can sustain a life form - it is essentially solvents. I spoke at length with the scientist Doug Schoon (sp?) about using polish on multiple clients, and he assured me of this information. He said if you are worried about contamination, close the bottle of polish and don't use it for 10 minutes and any question of passing along fungus will not be a problem - I specifically asked him for a time frame. He said the only possible way to pass a fungus to another client would be to use the same (infected) brush immediately on another client, which doesn't normally happen in the salon.

Also, please note that today the statistic is that 80% of clients coming to your salon have some type of foot or nail fungus. It is really important to educate yourself on these infections. Footlogix is a great company to learn from...

Jan
10-27-2014, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 01:22 PM by wendynailart.)
 (Print Post)
I see clients who do not wear polish get the white spots in a pattern on the toes that seem to imply it might be the result of pressure, pressure on the layers of nail plate making that area separate a bit, air in the layers of plate.... (like the white you used to see in "waxed" shipping boxes when they were struck)
observations............
Usually the white areas are located on the pressure areas of the toe nails, and most often on the toe nails that receive the most pressure from shoes, less often on thinner nails that flex when pressed.
could a fungus grow under the sealing quality of layers of nail polish? if there is a lot of moisture under there, the polish would lift, wouldn't it?
if it is fungus, why does it not spread to cover the nail? generally stays in the same area, perplexing since fungus generally spreads... it does not spread back to the cuticle, eventually covering the nail, seems to always be in the same areas on toes, the arch that presses against shoes and then to the tip edge as it grows out.

The white areas on finger nails (and toes) are more common on clients who go to manicurists who "buff" a lot with natural nail manicures, I don't, few of my clients have them on fingernails. On my few clients who have them the spots are in the center and on the distal edges, they never move to the cuticle or side areas.... and most often on the "working" fingers, rarely on pinkie nails. The incidence of seeing this has increased with the use of gel polish, though that might be two different issues....
One client who did have a lot of white spots, and deep enough that it resulted in flaking that took her polish off with the nail flakes, would go without polish for a while, the spots seemed to disappear, but, her hands in lotions and oils, I suspected it was only that the white spots were moisturized and did not show, when we applied polish (and remover) they returned in two or three manicures, again, always in the same locations.
I have had a couple clients read that the spots are fungus, anti-fungals did not make any difference (though possibly the wrong treatment, fungus in nails is not a common focus for dermatologists and podiatrists (currently a client with chronic athletes foot, who is not telling her that the fact her partner has it and is not treating it is re-infecting her... they are using stronger and stronger treatments with out treating the source... has the client convinced there is some health problem that is causing it to return, sigh).

Those who say it is fungus, have they cultured fungus from inside the white areas? Cultivating it from the surface might only show material the toe was exposed to, not fungus growing inside the layers of plate.
is there medical proof of the fungus?
I used to work for a doctor who cured many of that mild skin fungus that make white, dry areas on darker skin by having them use Selsun Blue ;-)
(from wikipedia)
The first four types contain the active ingredient selenium sulfide which has been shown to have anti-fungal properties. More specifically, selenium sulfide, an anti-infective agent, relieves itching and flaking of the scalp and removes the dry, scaly particles commonly referred to as dandruff or seborrhea. Selenium sulfide is also used to treat tinea versicolor, a fungal infection of the skin.[5]

http://wendynailart.tripod.com/

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/wendynailart/
11-01-2014, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 01:58 PM by Bob.)
 (Print Post)
Doug Schoon made the following comments on this:

http://www.schoonscientific.com/eblast/e...Happen.htm

Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
11-08-2014, 07:13 PM
 (Print Post)
There are so many different reasons for white spots, it depends on what you are seeing. So we can really only guess as to the answer. What I will share though, many many moons ago, with one of the original soak off gels, on occasion you would see white spots. These were attributed to several different things:

~Soaking off in acetone (particularly if the client has not been faithful with cuticle oil)
~Aggressive removal (if the product is not falling off the nail when they flip their hand over or able to be easily wiped away with a piece of saturated cotton, then that product is still attached to the nail).
~The nail has had trauma (possibly the nail was hit on something, the gel overlay allowed the nail to bend without breaking)

Not necessarily an answer to your dilemma, but a few things that have been culprits in the past Smile
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  FREE CND Seasonal Trend Class - CND Shellac & Vinylux hosted by Allure Nail Supply. AllureNailSupply 2 2,808 10-30-2014 09:03 AM
Last Post: AllureNailSupply
  Oily nail beds?? Kristina 1 650 06-05-2014 02:46 PM
Last Post: *****Cindy
  Best White Polish for Nail Art & Neon Colors lovethosetoes 0 989 10-22-2012 08:17 AM
Last Post: lovethosetoes
  oily nail beds tsita78 4 3,172 03-06-2012 08:54 PM
Last Post: Donna in Huntsville, TX.
  Wide nail beds Fairygirl72 7 3,159 10-21-2011 09:37 AM
Last Post: StellaAmante
  Shellac nail prep nailpro82 3 3,836 08-07-2011 10:52 PM
Last Post: FingerNailFixer