You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nail beds white from shellac
I'm sure this has been addressed and if it has I apoligize in advance. But I am having some issues with my clients nail beds turning white. It's like they are dryng out. I use 99% alcohol and all shellac products. please help my clients are freaking out.
Licensed Cosmetologist
Practicing Nail Tech
[email protected]
A user of T.E.N. Gel and Young Nail Acrylic.
ive seen this too, and Ive seen it with shellac, opi and gelish. I really think it depends on the individual..there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to when or why it happens. It does appear to be a dehyrated spot to me. Ive had people tell me it could be from OVER filing the natural nail plate, but Ive seen it happen with people where I KNOW they werent over filed or even filed at all. I just think its a random thing, and from what Ive seen it goes away. Also what about pushing cuticle oil? I heard that the way shellac is made that rubbing cuticle oil to cuticle and nail bed penetratre thru the gel
I have had that problem with one of my favorite clients. We took off the Shellac, and started her on a nail strengthener, Nail Envy Soft & Thin, and she has really gotten her nails almost ship shape! I suggested she keep doing this until she feels that she can put the Shellac on, but continue to use the cuticle oil to keep them hydrated. Hth!
LOVE the life you live, Live the life you LOVE...
JackieO
Elizabeth, IL
other e-mail:[email protected]
If the cuticle oil can penetrate through Shellac by rubbing it on the nail with Shellac on it, wouldn't that cause the product to lift? Sounds a little strange to me.
Carmen
Certified Amore Educator

http://www.getalldolledup.ca
Visit us on FACEBOOK!
It's most likely dehydration from soaking them off, and not from actually wearing them. Some soak off solutions have oils added to help with this. If you use pure acetone you can add a cap of olive oil to cut drying of the nail plate and surrounding skin.
It's high recommended to use oil daily, it's good to have it soak through and into the nail plate to keep it flexible, hydrated and healthy. It's not going to make product lift off. There are many benefits to using the right oil as some won't penetrate becuase the molecules are to big, not only does it hydrate and promote healthy stong nails but it helps seal water out, keeping the nail in better condition. There are going to be clients that have dry nails to begin with, in which I don't think are the best candidates for product we have to expose to monthly repeated acetone soak off.
I know cuticle oil won't make product lift Smile All I was saying is that if Shellac is designed for oil to penetrate through it, that sounds a little odd.

The cuticle oil is absorbed through the matrix which will then produce healthy keratin keeping the nail in a moisturized state. No?
Carmen
Certified Amore Educator

http://www.getalldolledup.ca
Visit us on FACEBOOK!
From what I've exerienced it isn't Shellac, or any gel polish, that is creating the white spots, it is soaking in acetone. It is a temporary effect. As soon as I get done and after using a sugar scrub, paraffin dip and cuticle oil it is gone. There are some clients who have more than others. But that subsides too.

If that bothers you or your clients you could e-file the product off instead.
AllDolledUp :
> I know cuticle oil won't make product lift Smile All I was saying is that if
> Shellac is designed for oil to penetrate through it, that sounds a little odd.
> The cuticle oil is absorbed through the matrix which will then produce healthy keratin keeping the nail in a moisturized state. No?

CND promotes the practice of using Solar Oil daily to plasticize enhancements (ie L&P) and keep them from becoming brittle. I suspect they are using the same analogy with Shellac. Not all cuticle oils can do this, depends on how small the molecules are, and Solar Oil happens to be one that does.
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Quote:AllDolledUp :
> The cuticle oil is absorbed through the matrix which will then produce healthy keratin keeping the nail in a moisturized state. No?
Your right though the oils will penetrate the matrix, but some oils like jojoba and olive I believe and the blend in CND solar oil are small enough and will penetrate the nail plate and travel into the channels of the nail.
Shellac and any soak off system is pours and will absorb those oils, water, and acetone. If the client uses the right oil regularly they can help seal out water and acetone and reduce drying as well as help reduce the tiny breaks water can cause from repeat swelling and shrinking of the nail plate.
Just so everyone knows, I get this on my toes when I've worn polish for months. I don't file the surface, I don't soak them in acetone, and I'm not wearing a sog. That pretty much blows holes in the theory that sog's are causing this.

It's some type of fungal infection ON TOP of the toe nail, is what I've been told. I believe I read it on BT quite some time ago. It can be filed off, or you can let it grow off. In the case of toes, it's easy with fall/winter coming on to leave it alone, and go 'nekkid' on the toes. Not so easy on the fingers, tho. Most people don't want that showing on their nat. nails.
Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> Just so everyone knows, I get this on my toes when I've worn polish for months.
> I don't file the surface, I don't soak them in acetone, and I'm not wearing
> a sog. That pretty much blows holes in the theory that sog's are causing this.
>
>
> It's some type of fungal infection ON TOP of the toe nail, is what I've been
> told. I believe I read it on BT quite some time ago. It can be filed off,
> or you can let it grow off. In the case of toes, it's easy with fall/winter
> coming on to leave it alone, and go 'nekkid' on the toes. Not so easy on the
> fingers, tho. Most people don't want that showing on their nat. nails.

Donna, I've seen that on a few of my clients with reg polish on their toes. When they don't wear polish it isn't there. This makes me think it is an allergic reaction to something in the polish. With gel polish it is gone when we are done with the service. That is why I think it is different and it does have a little.bit different look to it. But maybe if is the same thing......???? Just interesting how it disappears.
Donna, I have a few who get this on their big toe nails as well. It's called White superficial onychomycosis (WSO): characterized by white discoloration on the surface of the toenail that can be easily buffed away. I found this info on nail doctors website
Quote:Nail fungus infections are caused by dermatophyte fungi (tinea unguium), yeasts such as Candida albicans, and non-dermatophyte molds. - Factors that may increase the development of nail fungus include humidity, heat, trauma, diabetes mellitus, and underlying tinea pedis (athlete’s foot).
In my opinion the shellac white spots are more from dehydration of the nail plate during soak off. Some clients are dryer and this will be more obvious looking on them, in my experience. And for me it doesn't matter if I use shellac or Gelish, or polish pro. Most of my clients do not get the drying effects. I have one client that gets so dry after a few months of just nail polish and remover that we go 10 days bare, using oil and they are good to go, and we can go back to nail polish. She is one of the few I say no gel polish for you.
awesome educational thread here!! I am so printing info sheets!!
Peggy, thanks for putting a name to it. I've had clients who've asked about it, but I've never stopped long enough to research it! Once again, Thanks!
I had a client once that came in and her nails were all orange, she didnt know why, didnt use tanning products or make up so we searched a while and finally were told by her dr that it was a yeast infection of the nail. Interesting. I have not seen that again on anyone.
idonls may have hit on something with these white spots
>>This makes me think it is an allergic reaction to something in the polish.

I am wondering if any of the pure gel formulas of UVGP is exhibiting these white spot issues.

Oil seems to alleviate the spots (Peggy almond oil is also a small molecule oil that can penetrate porous products)

It seems to me the brands with solvents seem to have this happen, I haven't seen any of the non-solvents reporting these occasional white spot issues. I know I have never seen it with using eco So Quick which is a non-solvent type.

Since each brand of the solvent brands have different types and quantities of different solvents, one of them just might be causing a reaction, possibly a mild allergic, or even possibly a chemical reaction with the clients nail plates.

White spots appear with traditional polish and now with UVGP, but not on every client, not every application.

And then there also might be some correlation with the client having high yeast levels, whether it be her normal levels or an actual infection situation.

Makes you go hum....
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
I also wonder how much of the white spots are determined by how dry the person is naturally, Lorraine. Since I don't see white spots on all my clients, it isn't just the solvent gel polishes that are doing it. If that was the case wouldn't it happen on everyone I apply Shellac on? Not arguing, just sharing my observations.

And if it is the solvents in SOGP then why aren't there issues with NSI or any other brand that has solvents in it? I feel it has more to do with the person's natural chemical makeup of being more dry than other people.
I am really confused now, I was told some not nice things when I made this very same statement. http://www.beautytech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42628
Peggy, Debbi had asked both us to quit arguing earlier this week, which I am doing. I am respectfully requesting that you quit pointing out how comments were made in the past. There is no need to bring that up again! TY
I am confused, and more so now after all the different things I am being told. Thats not arguing and I request you stop accusing me of it. The thread I linked to is not old, it was just the other day. Same exact thoughts being passed around. And some who let me know I could not change my mind. That is how we all get confused. When one thing is said, and then another.
"I was told some not nice things" Please quit making reference to how my comments were taken by you that were made in the past. It isn't necessary and just continues with the drama by bringing it up, yet, again. TY
@ anyone else.
The other link has info on dry spots as well a full dry nails. Including peeling. I thought it was the acetone and changed my mind based on someone's information that kept coming up. Then I started wondering why I have one client that gets this from her nail polish.
The other thread I was basically told its the pushing off of the shellac but that doesn't help when it comes to a few nails that are SOGP free.
Try a solvent free Gel polish (100% gel) - you can easily tell which have solvent by smelling the bottle. There are only a few companies that offer this.
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
Akzentz Distributor & Educator
http://www.luvnailz.com
Ladies I am going to apologize in advance for not quoting, typos and possibly multiple replies, I am on my cell phone today and wanted to respond.

I am starting to think that some solvents in a higher concentration, in some brands just might react with clients who (choose one or more)
might have natural high yeast levels
Chemical sensativity
might have natural dry nail plates with solvents and or acetone exasberating the situation

It is not seen on every client
It is seen on polish
it is seen on SOME gel polishes
It is seen on toes and fingers

As i said earlier, it may be a particular solvent in certain brands at a certian concentration levels in certain clients that may have some condition that reacts with the solvents and or acetone.. heck it could even be the acetone reeactin with certain concentrations of solvents that are in both polish and some UVGP on some clients due to THEIR chemical makeup and or health.

I could be very far off base on this whole thing.

Okbthis was paingul.. I am going to grab my friends ipad and finish reaqding!
Lorraine, webgirl
Wow this is much better! (thanks Sue!)

Ok what I think I was really trying to get across here is the same solvents in SOME gel polishes AND polishes.

Each product having different concentrations/amounts of each ingredient, some specific combinations are reacting on SOME clients.

(I like that ipad, but it is not mine, the spell checker worked the way IT wanted to! I just corrected things here to make more sense)
Lorraine, webgirl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 3,031
07-29-2015, 07:35 PM