You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What constitutes a polish change?
I just want to ask what you all do for a polish change on hands and feet, respectively. I feel like I'm always "winging it" and making it up as I go. Obviously a clean manicure with chipped polish is easy. But I mean what if they've got some yucky cuticles? Or uneven lengths? For toe polish change I'll do filing, cuticles and repolish. For hands I file if the edges are really uneven, clip standing hangnails and polish. How's that? And that's only if the client opens their mouth about it lol. I don't want the client to bitch or give me a pissy face at the end because they didn't think it was worth it. But I also don't want to be taken advantage of because I've had plenty of times in the past where I've "been nice," like use the nail file to do a quick smoothing on a callus, and I've regretted it because they now think it's part of the service.
I do a toe repolish for $10. That includes removal of the old, and reapplying new. If one nail is slightly out of whack, I'll, as a courtesy, fix that ONE. If they want more, they want an express pedi, which covers a dry service, shaping of the nails, a slight filing of the callus, lotion application on the foot only, (no massage), and polish and costs $15.

I charge a reg. mani price for hands.
I only offer a 'reshape and polish'. I don't think it's peofessional to leave nails uneven and misshapen. I remove the polish, cut and file the length, buff the surface if the nail (that'll help with the cuticle) cleanse and polish. $20 for toes, $17 for fingers.
(09-15-2013, 05:49 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I do a toe repolish for $10. That includes removal of the old, and reapplying new. If one nail is slightly out of whack, I'll, as a courtesy, fix that ONE. If they want more, they want an express pedi, which covers a dry service, shaping of the nails, a slight filing of the callus, lotion application on the foot only, (no massage), and polish and costs $15.

I charge a reg. mani price for hands.

An Express Pedi; I like that idea. Ok I just want to clarify because of how you typed it out. A dry service is shaping, light callus filing, foot lotion and polish? Or is dry service something else? And you charge the manicure price but don't do a FULL manicure?

(09-15-2013, 09:59 PM)jb100680 Wrote: I only offer a 'reshape and polish'. I don't think it's peofessional to leave nails uneven and misshapen. I remove the polish, cut and file the length, buff the surface if the nail (that'll help with the cuticle) cleanse and polish. $20 for toes, $17 for fingers.

DUH, buffing! How did I not think of that?! LOOL! I agree though, even if it's just a polish change, I don't want to put my work on someone and have it look like garbage!
(09-15-2013, 05:26 PM)jupiter583 Wrote: I just want to ask what you all do for a polish change on hands and feet, respectively. I feel like I'm always "winging it" and making it up as I go. Obviously a clean manicure with chipped polish is easy. But I mean what if they've got some yucky cuticles? Or uneven lengths? For toe polish change I'll do filing, cuticles and repolish. For hands I file if the edges are really uneven, clip standing hangnails and polish. How's that? And that's only if the client opens their mouth about it lol. I don't want the client to bitch or give me a pissy face at the end because they didn't think it was worth it. But I also don't want to be taken advantage of because I've had plenty of times in the past where I've "been nice," like use the nail file to do a quick smoothing on a callus, and I've regretted it because they now think it's part of the service.

That's why a brochure detailing what's included in each service is so important. A hairstylist wouldn't give a haircut to someone paying only for color and vice versa : (
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
Yes, it's a dry quick fix up, no water. I call it an express pedi. I've found that most of the time, a client is looking for something quick and then she'll come back later for the full service.

I also offer a $10 toe clip, that's mainly for my seniors. I added that after seeing so many going to a podiatrist to get their toes nails clips and he was hurting and in some instances making them bleed! That price does NOT include polish or lotion. Just clipping and filing the nails smooth. Lots of men take advantage of this one.
(09-16-2013, 09:14 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: Yes, it's a dry quick fix up, no water. I call it an express pedi. I've found that most of the time, a client is looking for something quick and then she'll come back later for the full service.

I also offer a $10 toe clip, that's mainly for my seniors. I added that after seeing so many going to a podiatrist to get their toes nails clips and he was hurting and in some instances making them bleed! That price does NOT include polish or lotion. Just clipping and filing the nails smooth. Lots of men take advantage of this one.

First, polish change is just that! Nothing more! Ya'll should charge for what you do. If ya do more than ya should charge more. Simple!

I am with Donna on the toenail clipping by podiatrist. I work closely with a podiatrist and I am shocked at how they chop at toenails. So close to the quick it scares me, not to mention it could create some issues as the toenail grows out. Medicare won't pay for toenail clipping anymore unless they are there for another medical issue with their feet.
I wasn't aware Medicare had stopped that! Good to know. I try to keep it reasonable so they can afford it since they're on a fixed income. Even when it was so called 'free' thru Medicare, they didn't want to go thru the 'torture' of having it done.
I don't really have any polish manicure clients, so that hasn't been an issue. For a polish change on the toes I charge $15 (compared to $42 for my basic pedi), and I shape the nails, remove polish, lightly push back cuticles (if their cuticles are soft enough to handle it) and reapply polish. That's it - any more than that and they need to pay for a pedi and get the full service. I don't do this often - I think only once so far this calendar year!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
The salon I work at has a polish change which includes trimming, filing, clipping hangnails, and polish. Plus the removal of old polish if required. It ticks me off because they give us 15 minutes for this. It takes 10 minutes just for me to do a decent polish job. I wish it were not even a menu option.
I agree, 15 minutes isn't enough - maybe a limitation of booking on the quarter hour? I book in 10 minute increments so I book 20 min for the polish change, which also allows for cleanup and checkout.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 10
Views: 3,960
03-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Last PostCluuryMcFluury