You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men taking nail technology classes?
After recently griping to my wife about our various expenses, she announced out of the blue that she enrolled me in a local nail technology class so we'd save on both her manicures and pedicures.

I start this week but am a little apprehensive about being the only man. Wondering if anyone has experience in this or words of encouragement?

In the meantime I've been practicing almost nightly on her so I'm not too far behind when classes do start; my wife says she's delighted by my progress so for now I'd say this has been a good decision on her part.
OK, I'm having trouble with this....YOUR WIFE enrolled you to save money for her?? Is this a joke? Has either of you put a pencil to how much the schooling is going to cost and then later the simple cost of doing nails for a living? That's going to equal out to a lot of mani/Pedi's. You're coming out on the losing end for quite awhile.

If this is legit, there are several world renowned male nail techs out there who make a great living doing nails but it didn't happen over night.

My clients still speak very fondly of the only male manicurist I've ever employed; I wish there were more of them available. : )
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
I knew a man who after he retired, became a nail tech to be able to do his wife's nails, he's very good and employed part time now, and loves it. Good luck!
There used to be a guy on the board from Texas that had been a truck driver and started doing nails. He was an Educator for Backscratchers. It can be a great business for men. If you go into a salon, just be sure your wife is not jealous, lol.
Always be kind....you get farther.
(08-21-2013, 10:17 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: OK, I'm having trouble with this....YOUR WIFE enrolled you to save money for her?? Is this a joke? Has either of you put a pencil to how much the schooling is going to cost and then later the simple cost of doing nails for a living? That's going to equal out to a lot of mani/Pedi's. You're coming out on the losing end for quite awhile.

If this is legit, there are several world renowned male nail techs out there who make a great living doing nails but it didn't happen over night.

I don't expect to become world renowned and we haven't talked about it becoming a career. I think for now she'll be happy if I do her mani/pedis, and if this past weekend was any indication, those of her friends as well.
Sounds like it might be just thing for you then. BTW, the truck driver is still doing nails in TX.
Thanks!
I had thought of becoming a nail tech in my retirement after seeing over 60% of my female HS students with acrylic nails. (hence my reason for subscribing on here a while back) My wife said "NO WAY IN H#*LL", so I took up taxidermy. I did find that white acrylic makes a wonderful replacement for coyote teeth, however. I still think I would have made a good tech. Certainly not as good as most of you on here, but passable.
I like to see talented men in our industry and have just received my first resume from a potential male employee, he has great potential, so we shall see.
It sounds like you are kind of excited to do something new and different, I say Go for it, you may be surprised at what comes from taking this leap! Enjoy it!
Darcy
Light Elegance Educator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,246
07-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Last Postyaya
Replies: 0