You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
has anyone tried the latest product Striplac?
Just wondering if this is another waste of money. Does it ruin the natural nail after removal or while on?
I just read about this and was wondering the same thing. It seems like it would either it would pop of too easily by itself, or it will pull off the top layer of the nail like regular gel polish when it's ripped off. They make it sound like those wall hangers that stick really well, then you pull the tape to release them, LOL. Would be pretty cool if it actually works, but I'm very skeptical....
I find it hard to believe that this will not be harmful to the nails.
so you think when it sounds too good to be true it is?
Whether it's too good to be true, or harmful (or not) to the natural nails, I asked myself one question...

Why on earth would I want to apply a product to my clients nails that they can simply and easily remove by themselves, at home??!! Um, I don't think so. Smile Might as well just put regular polish on and kiss them goodbye - I far prefer something that takes a little more work so they can't just take random 6...8...23 week "nail vacations" in between appointments!

If you want simple removal and absolutely no damage to the natural nails, get tuned up and precise with your e-file, apply protein bond to the entire nail, then apply and cure two layers of base coat (gives a nice buffer to protect the natural nail with filing off), then finish as usual. Filing off is quick and easy, and you can get the color off without removing the base coat using a carbide bit, then do normal prep work with a sanding bank (NOT removing the old base coats), then rinse and repeat for reapplication.

Your clients nails will become incredibly healthy because you are only prepping new growth of the natural nail each time, so in theory, barring any chipping, the natural nail will only ever be prepped once in each section - everything else will be getting done on the old layer of base coat.

**the purpose of PB on the entire nail instead of just the f/e is that you are not removing the base coat each time and therefore would not be able to PB the f/e with re-application, so you need to get the whole nail. With reapplication I again PB the whole nail over the top of the old base coat for obvious reasons. Just my take on it all.

edit to add - By the way, I book 50 minutes for a gel polish manicure, which leaves plenty of time for the client to settle in, get coffee, pick a color, get the service with or without art, check out, rebook, and for me to clean up and set up for my next service - usually with a few minutes to spare for a quick break and of course, to wash my hands! I don't think I'd be hitting that time with soaking off, and really I could tighten it down some - not doing the e-file would probably save me all of 4-5 minutes.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
According to some German friends who read the Alessandro Facebook page it is not so easy to remove, and some people seem to suggest nail damage occurs. I've not tested the product.

The same company and others previously introduced a 3-in-1 gel polish - it doesn't need base coat, and contains the color and top in one bottle. The claims were for 14 days wear. We did test that and were not impressed. The factory later told us they had made a new formulation, and we tested that too - we failed to see any improvement.

Both of these products seem to strive for an easy consumer product that eventually could bypass the nail salons. That's just my personal take.

What we are seeing in Estonia, Ukraine and Russia is a gradual move away from gel polishes back to french and standard color gels. This is driven by customers who don't want to pay or have the time for two services in a month. According the the same friends, gel polish isn't popular in Germany - which was a surprise to hear.

I have a gut feeling that in 2 or 3 years time we will look back on this soak-off period as a bit of a fad, and a period where many nails were damaged. If you take the position, as we have done for more than 18 months, that filing off is safer, faster, leaves a protective layer on the natural nail and doesn't expose the skin to harsh chemicals - then soak-off gel polish has no advantage other than arguably easier application.
Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
I disagree that the gel polish service will be looked back on as a fad. As I said earlier, I do file off, so I agree that it's better for the natural nails. However, there are a few things that we get with gel polish that make them an excellent choice. One is the flexibility of the product, which allows a super thin application and never lifts. It may chip for some at the f/e, but doesn't lift. The other advantage is the range of colors - I have about 130 colors in my solo shop, and plan to keep adding on! Then of course, there's the ease of application that you mentioned. Easy for us, yet still challenging enough that the average consumer will still go to the salon for services.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
[I will preface this by saying, I have not tried this product]
My First thought on the Strip-lac product is this:
Telling clients that they can just "Peel it off" is, simply put, a Bad Idea. I do not want them removing Anything, they are bound to do damage, even if the product is designed to do no harm.
We all know that Product does not do harm, untrained people do.
Just my 2 cents.
Smile
Darcy
Light Elegance Educator
I just ordered some ... Just had to see .. Well not use on clients just on myself , let you know have not gotten it yet . But I think like you ladies
I only would use it on myself also. Let me know how it works out.

@ Candice-- I like your idea-- protein bond from YN? Also - you add 2 coats of BASE each time a client comes in?
I have to say-- I started SEVERAL friends on Gel polish @ the same time while finishing school-- each persons nails got crappy in 6 months- relatively at the same time!!! I've had to move most friends to hard gel because their nails are brittle week etc......which weren't before :-(
My boss concurred she's experienced this with clients as well overtime! I'm an extreme light filer & use foil soak off method.
thanks
Yes, PB from Young Nails and two layers of base coat. Also, I have taken to using ONLY Cuccio's gel polish top coat regardless of which brand of gel polish color I used. Some who experienced chipping have seen the difference in nails that don't chip!

Another trick I use - if clients want their nails to be longer I will bump them up to three or even four thin layers of base coat. I (and a few clients who have tried it) can wear my nails just as long as I would wearing acrylic by applying extra base coat. Just don't start thinking you should "build" the nail, it truly just needs the same thin coats that you would normally apply.

I think that you could charge a bit more if they start wearing their nails longer, but I don't since 1) it is a service they can't find anywhere else that is this good, and 2) it doesn't take me any longer to do. Anyone who has read my previous posts knows that I usually advocate charging for everything you do, I guess this is my one exception!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
Thanks!! I suppose that I've read with Gelish & lifting issues to dry wipe the base coat so I never thought of applying more then one- but makes sense!!!
Lifting issues are actually a whole different ball game. The top coat really only impacts chipping and having an overall stronger nail. If someone is actually having "lifting" with gel polish then I would do the following:

- Dehydrate the nail plate twice
- use the PH bond products that you can buy with some systems - Gelish has one, as does Cuccio
- PB as usual - use the UV light to help it get a bit stickier
- make sure you are doing VERY thin layers of base coat, and cure just a bit longer for the first layer than you would normally
- finish out the service as usual

I haven't really experienced lifting with gel polish, but some people do have oilier nail plates and this process works very well for me. I think the real purpose of dry wiping (and this has been explained to me by educators) is to make sure you are not applying too much product and also smoothing it out a bit, which isn't a problem anyway if your layers are thin. When you apply the base coat (or colors) the layer really should be so thin that it might even appear streaky on the first coat, but the color will fill itself out on the second coat.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
In Germany at the moment and found StripLac in the cosmetics area of a chain department store.

[Image: 6610abf8-3c5a-4967-9660-32b527bc1bba_zps3c2c3d8e.jpg]
Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,841
08-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Last PostMonique_Al