You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tooth and Nail and other disasters...
Hi there all,

I'm Sophie. I'm a late bloomer looking to change my life. I know this forum is only for professionals (I sincerely hope you will include me), but I am in great need of mentoring, and am serious about becoming a nail technician who's worth her salt. I came across this community, and felt so blessed. I would be so very grateful if someone out there can guide me.

I was a dentist who fell out of love with her work. I thought I had gone into it for all the right reasons, but it seems it takes more than that to be able to survive out there. I finally decided to be true to myself, and focus on where my heart lies. I believe this a profession that will allow me to be:
1. Caring/nurturing/supportive towards my clients
2. Creative
3. Fulfilled and upbeat

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I realize that no line of work is perfect, but I don't think I could do worse than a dentist. I wasn't in it for the money. I simply have this thing in me that needs to be nurturing and supportive. To make a bad day better for someone. Okay. Now i'm tearing up a little. It's been a rough road full of wrong choices. But I know it's a lesson I needed to learn, and that's always good.

I am primarily interested in becoming a nail professional only. There are some similarities there to dentistry. I've also worked a lot with acrylic, etc. Of course, I know very little, and have a long, long way to go here. Please, can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to a good school, and share any sage advice/insight about the nail profession in general?

Now, to the ugly part... I am roughly $500,000 in debt from dental school. I take full responsibility for that, of course, nobody held a gun to my head to go down that path. I have been eating lean trying to keep my head above water. Any advice on how to go about getting my license in this promising field as efficiently as possible would be most deeply appreciated.

Good juju to all, and wishing you all only the Best.
Sincerely, Sophie

Oh! By the way, I'm currently in Texas, the Dallas Fort Worth area. I used to be a Californian. May end up going back there, but I really love it here in Texas.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Heart
-Orson Welles-
Ooommmggg you have come to the right place! I know the techs here will welcome you with open arms & keyboards. There are several here in your area so I hope someone can direct you to a good school. Beyond that there is money to be made in this field.. You have the right frame of mind, yes we nurture every day :-)

Your knowledge from dental school will have you dancing through the theory portion of your hours, your work with acrylic should give you a slight leg up on others who never touched it. Our acrylic smells far less than what you are probably used to :-)

So with all that said.. Welcome to our world and don't be afraid to ask us anything!

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Oh, Debbie!

Thank you so much for your reply, dear Webmistress! MUCH RESPECT to you for creating this *incredible* site. It means such a great deal. Buckets of good juju to you, well and truly.

I'm terribly scared, but also thrilled!! I haven't felt liberated like this in years. I'm on YouTube as much as possible looking up tutorials, hoping to learn as much as I can in order to see if I really have a chance with this.

Your post is greatly encouraging. All those late nights struggling to do my best at school are tattooed onto the back of my mind... Sweet Jeebus, what a tangled web I wove.

If what I learned back then hasn't entirely been a waste, and is still somewhat re-usable in order to become a nail tech, I feel partially redeemable! Yayy! You've got me snoopy dancing!! \Big Grin/

I have been looking around for schools, but are there any that *only* provide nail tech courses? I'm not so keen on hair, skin, etc... hope that doesn't sound awfully closed-minded and picky of me. I just know that I would do better if I were to focus on one specialty. To me, that's plenty.

Anyhoo, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. My fingers and toes are crossed that others will be able to chime in as well. I'm grateful for anything-- anything at all, please. Even just a "hi!" Smile

I've always admired all of you for what you do.

You could be in a healing profession all your life, and feel that it's been more of a traumatizing and harrowing experience for all involved, rather than healing. While it's necessary to treat disease, I constantly had a hard time believing I was also able to treat the whole person.

However, in cosmetology, the care provided actually does focus on treating the whole person. It has the potential to create a curative, positive energy that's worth remembering. It always has done so for me. I just wish I had been able to figure that out sooner, hahah...

Take Care, All. I sure look forward to getting to know you.
Warmly,
Sophie
"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Heart
-Orson Welles-
Sophie.. welcome Smile

There should be schools who give a nails only course and you should not be pressured into the full cosmetology if that's not what you want to do. The full cosmo course gives maybe 25 hours - if that many - devoted to nails.. so it would not get you properly prepared.. Please start a new thread "Looking for school advice in XXX area" that may help draw in some people to reply.. also check your state board.. TX is very forward thinking and might have a list of schools on their site.. call them if you cant find a list and ask if they have one to email or fax you.

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results