You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do now? Where to go?
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum. I have a question for you all. I am a Managing Cosmetologist. My license is current and my main concentration is natural nails and pedicures. I have been working overseas for about four years now, nothing to do with the industry, just doing the occasional pedicure or manicure for friends. Well, I plan on moving back to the states in about 10 months. I've been practicing gel polish and shellac manicures because I never got to try it while working overseas. I am becoming pretty comfortable with those types of manicures but am still learning. Before i came over here, I worked in a Day Spa as an employee and didn't make a lot of money and I really don't want to be an employee again, I'd rather be my own boss. So, let me get to the point. I'm interested in doing booth rental when I come home but I don't do acrylics or gel nails, unfortunately. Is there any money in doing booth rental with only natural nails? I am making an effort to bring out the most in the natural nail industry and I am very passionate about it too. What other unique services can I do to enhance my business along with natural nails? What do you guys recommend? Thank you all so very much for your time and help!!
Heart
Is anyone out there? Smile
I think it depends on the area you are going to be in. I know a few people out here who get by with natural mani's and pedi's with shellac and gel polish. Check out what's being offered in the area.
...if you are a fully licensed cosmetologist (not sure what 'managing' cosmetologists is) ...why not take on a few hair clients as well (unless you really hate doing hair)

ps: it seems to take several days for people to respond to posts ...seems we all read them, then come back & respond several days later ... don't take the lack of response personal - it just seems to work that way Undecided. Sometimes I get frustrated when a post has 150 views and 1 response ...I guess people just need to think about it first
the best things in life, aren't things ...
Thank you both very much for the replies! I want to learn gel and acrylics, but I'm having a hard time finding someone willing to teach me. I have a beauty license so of course I don't want to go back to school for it. Also, yeah, hair just isn't my thing. I've never been comfortable with it but natural nails I am super comfortable with and enjoy. A managing cosmetologist is a title on your license that you pay for, at least in the State of Alabama, that shows your experience and to open a business you have to have at least a managing cosmetology license but it can go up to a master license but you have to have a ton of education hours to keep a master license up.
I'm returning to the industry after a long break. I've been watching vids on YouTube. My favorites are Young Nails & Naiouk
http://www.youtube.com/Naiouk
I'm planning to purchase a nail trainer hand http://www.nailtrainerhand.com for practice. Maybe you can take some classes with product lines.
(06-16-2013, 10:02 PM)artisticbritt77 Wrote: Is anyone out there? Smile

I personally believe staying with natural/shellac/Gellish nails is absolutely possible. You will probably find position like that in a resort or spa. If you choose to go independent, like anything, it just take hard work, lotsa marketing and perserverance.