You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
repairing a chip in hard gel
this maybe elementary but ...still learning ... I put my nails to the test this weekend & ended up in the garden without gloves really digging in with my fingers & pulling weeds ( I didn't mean to Blush - it just happened Confused ) Two of my nails wearing hard gel chipped at the free edge. I repaired them today & one of them already cracked where the chip line is ...so I guess I need to file right down to the nail and start 'fresh'? ( that makes me cringe ). I buffed it down pretty good but not all the way ...put a dab of protein bond on the bare spot & relayered 2 coats of gel but it 'cracked' at the chip line when I accidentally bumped my nail against the windowsill this evening. This is what I don't like about hard gel. 4 of my nails had Brisa Light - and just 1 of them chipped ...easy peasy fix there.
2 nails had Akzentz Natural - no chips - held great.
2 nails had Nailite Stylus - no chips, held great.
The 2 nails w/hard gel that chipped were LCN Dodgy
the best things in life, aren't things ...
(06-10-2013, 07:10 PM)loribe Wrote: this maybe elementary but ...still learning ... I put my nails to the test this weekend & ended up in the garden without gloves really digging in with my fingers & pulling weeds ( I didn't mean to Blush - it just happened Confused ) Two of my nails wearing hard gel chipped at the free edge. I repaired them today & one of them already cracked where the chip line is ...so I guess I need to file right down to the nail and start 'fresh'? ( that makes me cringe ). I buffed it down pretty good but not all the way ...put a dab of protein bond on the bare spot & relayered 2 coats of gel but it 'cracked' at the chip line when I accidentally bumped my nail against the windowsill this evening. This is what I don't like about hard gel. 4 of my nails had Brisa Light - and just 1 of them chipped ...easy peasy fix there.
2 nails had Akzentz Natural - no chips - held great.
2 nails had Nailite Stylus - no chips, held great.
The 2 nails w/hard gel that chipped were LCN Dodgy

Maybe you had some lifting under the crack. Or the old gel wasn't rough enough to stick to what you applied. You mention buffing, with gel you need to have a rough surface (like 180 grit file). And are you scrubbing the first layer of gel in to the nail plate, than building the second layer? Or applying them both like polish?

Hope this helps!
thanks JB! ...I don't think I used a rough enough file then ...didn't scrub it either - will do that today when I get a few minutes
Jesse makes an excellent point; hard gel applied over previously cracked or lifted gel, or a cracked natural nail, will be more vulnerable. I've been wearing only hard gels for 10+ years, and find that hand filing existing product flush to the natural nail, prepping with pure acetone and using Entity's BuBond works great for my flimsy nails.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
(06-11-2013, 11:19 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: Jesse makes an excellent point; hard gel applied over previously cracked or lifted gel, or a cracked natural nail, will be more vulnerable ... and find that hand filing existing product flush to the natural nail...

That's just what I did today - they look great! Hope it holds up. Thanks for the advice!
...and I did 'build' a little too

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post