You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightmare client back in town
I had one of those clients that when she moved away, I felt a tremendous sense of relief. Every time she came in, she would take a deep breath, sit down and cry. She was so nervous that every time I saw her, she had chewed 4 or 5 nails down to a bloody mess. She bounced her check twice, I had to once split a $35.00 charge between 3 different credit cards. I had to put her Cash on Service. She emailed last night, said she just moved back, said she "chewed her nails down to the quick". She asked my current rate, and if I can get her in by the end of the month. I had nightmares all night. I think if I take her, I need to confirm our cash arrangement, and perhaps additional charge for chewed off nails. Don't know what I would charge, any thoughts on this?
Wow! Well you should definitely implement cash only policy with her. I use salonswipe so every transaction I complete I lose a small percentage but splitting it up three times is losing me money. What service are you performing on her? Gel polish, mani, full set...?
I would not take her back at all
She wears full set traditional gel P&W..... I also don't know how to say its too mush trouble. She's so emotional....
You don't have to say anything....you reserve the right to be selective about your clientele. If she causes more grief than happiness, tell her you aren't able to accommodate her (full book). If you know another tech that may be able to deal with her emotional outbursts, refer her to that tech - but give that tech a heads up first!

When you start losing sleep over a client, it's time to let her go hun. Not all money is good money, and if you have to go through all of that, it just doesn't seem worth it. Peace of mind is priceless!

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
Yeah they are right. I hate having to turn people away but in the end you have that right. It doesn't seem to be worth the headache. And lovethosetoes is conpletely right about peace of mind. Just let her know you are fully booked as love suggested Smile Good luck girl!
"Oh, my! How nice that you're back! I hope all is well with you! I would LOVE to do your nails but unfortunately (for you), since you were gone, I've gotten so busy! I just don't have even one open time slot! I do, however, have someone I'd love to refer you to! Here's her number (insert number of the most hated nail tech in your town). I know she'll do a GREAT job for you! Once again, I'm so glad you're back! Ta-ta!"

Easy peasy!
I'm with everyone else... send her on her way nicely. I always remind myself that by not taking on a client who sucks the life out of me it's really my NEXT client I am doing it for, not me. I believe I owe it to my good clients to preserve my good mood!

If you do take her back, then reiterate the cash only policy and definitely charge more for bitten nails. I charge an extra $10 for a sculpted set of enhancements on a nail biter, because it does take more time. That's roughly 15%, since I charge $74 for a regular full set.

One other thing, if the nails are "bloody" or have raw wounds, it's actually not legal to perform the service, so you might use that as a graceful way out.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Hahahaha great one harmonysky! I may have to keep that little script on hand Wink
you're all right. I shouldn't even deal with it. This is why I respect this board and all your opinions so much.
I don't use tips, I sculpt with forms, and won't apply a nail on a "wounded, bloody" surface. Makes our job challenging with gals like this doesn't it?
I feel like a coward. Its been half a day technically that I haven't yet replied to her. How could I possibly refer her to someone else?
Errrrrr!
i was taught to say - "I am so sorry, but I feel like I cannot meet your expectations, and I am sure that someone else can be of better help to you". (All said with great kindness and sincerity because really it is true.)

Period, no other explanations because the expectations she has of you are unfair to you and she obvioulsy will never understand that. Short, to the point, offer no more explanations and be done with her. A huge waste of your energy.

Oh yes, and when she badgers you and pleads with you, you are to keep repeating the same sentence over and over until she gets it that you will not be having her as a client any longer. Do not offer any other explanations.
If you feel cowardly, then approach the appointment call like this:
YOU: when can you come in?
HER: Wed 10a
YOU: sorry that's booked, when else can you make it?
HER: Thurs 3.30p
YOU: sorry that's a regular in at that hour, when else works for you?
HER: Fri 2pm
YOU: no, so sorry that's booked also.. I tell you what, I have your choices marked here if one of these lades cancels or moves their appointment I will call you right way at this number 555-1212? is that the best way to reach you?
HER: (you just asked a direct question - is that the best way to reach you which is what you soliciting a response to) Uh yes sure or my cell 444-6464
YOU: OK got it, I have to run now I will be sure to call you right away if something opens up.

Never ever tell her what you have open on your book, ask her when she can come in.. that's the important way to make this conversation work.

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Well YES, I was indeed feeling cowardly. I felt bad for not responding to her for a week. This morning I sent an email. I gave an availability for a late morning appointment three weeks from now, knowing she works. I mentioned my nail biter new sets are $10.00 more than regular sets. That during rebalances, there's a $3.50 charge PER NAIL that's not intact. That I would require 24 hour notice if she had more than one biten nail.......BS...BS...BS...That she would still be cash on service......She took the appointment. I'm indeed a gutless wonder!!!! Thought for sure she would go elsewhere.
Whew! Guess I'll see how it goes. Wish I read some of these responses before I sent her the email...........
Since she is a nail biter, have you thought about having a frank talk with her? Suggest to her a better nail service that's more appropriate for her? Do you mean she chews off her acrylics or natural nails? I can't imagine chewing acrylics or gels. Can you charge a fee if someone's check bounces?

(05-09-2013, 11:42 AM)MicheleMLCP Wrote: I had one of those clients that when she moved away, I felt a tremendous sense of relief. Every time she came in, she would take a deep breath, sit down and cry. She was so nervous that every time I saw her, she had chewed 4 or 5 nails down to a bloody mess. She bounced her check twice, I had to once split a $35.00 charge between 3 different credit cards. I had to put her Cash on Service. She emailed last night, said she just moved back, said she "chewed her nails down to the quick". She asked my current rate, and if I can get her in by the end of the month. I had nightmares all night. I think if I take her, I need to confirm our cash arrangement, and perhaps additional charge for chewed off nails. Don't know what I would charge, any thoughts on this?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 3,400
03-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Last Postharmonysky
Replies: 6
Views: 4,193
03-24-2014, 11:33 AM