You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Give me advice on opening my own nail salon...thanks a bunch
I want to open my own nail salon but have no idea how to go about it. Confused No one in my family owns a business so i have no clue were to start. im currently about to start to get my license. i need help tips everything you can give me. where to buy my supplies? wholesale? should i start on my own? hire someone? if so how much to pay them? do they keep all there tips? i need the 411
thank you so much everyone

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Check out the book "Open Your Own Salon... The Right Way!: A step-by-step guide to planning, launching & managing your own salon or nail bar business". It's not cheap (I got my copy on Amazon.com) but it's a great resource! :-)
That is one huge question! It's very involved, and if you don't have any business experience and are a brand new nail tech, I would highly recommend that you start out in an existing salon, and develop a two year plan. Set aside time every week to 1) practice your services 2) research and read books, blogs, whatever about starting a salon, and 3) start a planning board/notebook for what you want your salon to be like. If money is an issue then I would add 4) save money!

As you do your research and start developing a plan, you will find there are some things that you can find the answers to by reading blogs, books, forums or whatever - other things are harder to find good details about, and those are the ones that you can bring out specifically here on the forums for more help. If you want to move faster than this and have more help with figuring everything out, then I would highly recommend finding a tech who has opened their own successful salon and consider hiring them to walk you through all the steps. There are professional coaches you can hire for upward of $250/hour - but if you find a tech that you're comfortable with you can reach out and see if they are interested in doing it for a much lower fee - I helped three techs last year start up and it worked well for both of us, I'm sure there are others too who would be willing to help!

That said, here is a rough outline of what is involved it's not all-inclusive, just off the top of my head:

- Location: choosing the right area, researching your competition - city, county, state licensing - finding a location - negotiating a lease - insurance - building out the salon, including building permits (possibly), sign permits, etc. - pricing out and sourcing furniture and built-ins...

- Menu: deciding services - calculating service pricing - sourcing products - holding the right amount of inventory, and manage it profitably - determining product lines - structuring the services (how long for each step, etc.) - add-ons and pricing, service specials, seasonal plan...

- Finances: book keeping method - record keeping - budgeting...

- Marketing: website design and maintenance - design and produce business cards, service menu, shelf talkers, signage both in and out of the salon - decide where to advertise, design and place ads - referral program - new client program - client retention system - pre-booking incentives...

- Salon policies: cancellations/no-shows/tardiness, kids/no kids, cell phone rules, service booking strategies, hours, which days...

- Atmosphere: reception, design/decor, tone/feel

- Know your service cost - pricing right to produce an hourly wage PLUS a profit margin for the salon

- Employees, Booth Rent or Solo?: know how to charge rent to be profitable and how to do booth rent legally - for employees, know how to structure the pay scale, handle the taxes and various kinds of required insurance, etc. plus have an employee manual, agreement, policies, etc.

There's more to it, but that's all I have for now! Good luck to you.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
thank you so much

(05-09-2013, 12:09 AM)CandiceAE Wrote: That is one huge question! It's very involved, and if you don't have any business experience and are a brand new nail tech, I would highly recommend that you start out in an existing salon, and develop a two year plan. Set aside time every week to 1) practice your services 2) research and read books, blogs, whatever about starting a salon, and 3) start a planning board/notebook for what you want your salon to be like. If money is an issue then I would add 4) save money!

As you do your research and start developing a plan, you will find there are some things that you can find the answers to by reading blogs, books, forums or whatever - other things are harder to find good details about, and those are the ones that you can bring out specifically here on the forums for more help. If you want to move faster than this and have more help with figuring everything out, then I would highly recommend finding a tech who has opened their own successful salon and consider hiring them to walk you through all the steps. There are professional coaches you can hire for upward of $250/hour - but if you find a tech that you're comfortable with you can reach out and see if they are interested in doing it for a much lower fee - I helped three techs last year start up and it worked well for both of us, I'm sure there are others too who would be willing to help!

That said, here is a rough outline of what is involved it's not all-inclusive, just off the top of my head:

- Location: choosing the right area, researching your competition - city, county, state licensing - finding a location - negotiating a lease - insurance - building out the salon, including building permits (possibly), sign permits, etc. - pricing out and sourcing furniture and built-ins...

- Menu: deciding services - calculating service pricing - sourcing products - holding the right amount of inventory, and manage it profitably - determining product lines - structuring the services (how long for each step, etc.) - add-ons and pricing, service specials, seasonal plan...

- Finances: book keeping method - record keeping - budgeting...

- Marketing: website design and maintenance - design and produce business cards, service menu, shelf talkers, signage both in and out of the salon - decide where to advertise, design and place ads - referral program - new client program - client retention system - pre-booking incentives...

- Salon policies: cancellations/no-shows/tardiness, kids/no kids, cell phone rules, service booking strategies, hours, which days...

- Atmosphere: reception, design/decor, tone/feel

- Know your service cost - pricing right to produce an hourly wage PLUS a profit margin for the salon

- Employees, Booth Rent or Solo?: know how to charge rent to be profitable and how to do booth rent legally - for employees, know how to structure the pay scale, handle the taxes and various kinds of required insurance, etc. plus have an employee manual, agreement, policies, etc.

There's more to it, but that's all I have for now! Good luck to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5
Views: 3,003
11-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Last Postplumgirl
Replies: 1
Views: 1,241
08-16-2016, 04:13 PM