You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your disinfection regime? autoclave recs?
Just wondering if everyone could share their disinfecting routine for tools. Do you just use a liquid disinfectant (EPA certified, of course) or do you use an autoclave or uv sanitizer also?

I am looking at auto-claves right now for my salon, and wonder about the ease of use and how many tools can be disinfected at once. The Prestige small dental autoclaves seems ideal, although pricey. The UV sanitizers are pretty pointless, from what I can read -they don't really do much.

I'm in TX, where we have to have a uv sanitizer, dry heat sanitizer, or autoclave on premises (the law does not say in use, just on premises...sigh...) and autoclave is the highest expense, but also the best results - just wondering if it is overkill.... I want to do whatever is the healthiest for my clients and staff without spending unnecessarily.
I think using an autoclave is overkill. Sterilization is really only recommended if your implements are going to come into contact with body fluid. Sterilization is the highest form of infection control because it destroys bacteria spores. I don't think it's any easier than using liquid disinfectant because you still have to clean the implements first. The uv cabinet is convenient to allow your tools to dry in before storing them. Its supposedly will keep bacteria from growing on implements while they are drying.
An autoclave is the "only way" to truly sterilize! The UV cabinet is also known as a storage cabinet. It does not sterilize. I am not trying to insult anyone by saying this. I work for a podiatrist and have been taught all about proper techniques for sterilization.
I autoclave - it sets me apart from the other places who "claim" they are clean. I am truly 100% with the autoclave - and I wouldn't have it any other way. One hundred percent clean tools are opened in front of the client. Tools can't get soiled or contaminated accidently because they are in the pouches before use.

Once you get used to the routine and the mindset, you will have a wonderful marketing tool, and you will be offering better service to your clients. I feel really great about offering my clients safe services.

Online courses are offered through "MediNails Learning Center" that explain the benefits of autoclave sterilization techniques for you and your clients. I have completed all of their courses and highly recommend them. The "Advanced Nail Technician" course is mandatory for our nail staff - I pay for the course to make sure that they complete it.
(04-20-2013, 06:34 AM)propeditech Wrote: I autoclave - it sets me apart from the other places who "claim" they are clean. I am truly 100% with the autoclave - and I wouldn't have it any other way. One hundred percent clean tools are opened in front of the client. Tools can't get soiled or contaminated accidently because they are in the pouches before use.

Once you get used to the routine and the mindset, you will have a wonderful marketing tool, and you will be offering better service to your clients. I feel really great about offering my clients safe services.

Online courses are offered through "MediNails Learning Center" that explain the benefits of autoclave sterilization techniques for you and your clients. I have completed all of their courses and highly recommend them. The "Advanced Nail Technician" course is mandatory for our nail staff - I pay for the course to make sure that they complete it.

What brand and model autoclave do you have?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5
Views: 3,453
02-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Postplumgirl
Replies: 3
Views: 1,879
05-01-2013, 03:31 PM