You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite Gel Polish brand? and Why?
I have been using Shellac this entire year and i love it. My boss is weird about purchasing from too many distributors and therefore-- its all i have tried. I have been trying to talk her into Gelish- but she just told me last week that her rep said something about how Doug Schoon said publicly how dangerous Gelish is???? I dont know. Has anyone heard this??
We also just got the OPI gc in and i really like it. I wish tho that she wld have trusted my years of experience and research that ive been doing and invested in Gellish rather than OPI....but she believed the rep over me. I do love the quickness of the OPI. But sheallac really is an amazing product. I know its getting a little frustrating with it getting thick. My white and top/base coat has been getting thick really quickly lately.
But besides that...its a good system.
Whatever u choose-- its just learning how to manipulate the product. It seems like all the ones mentioned are pretty good . My advixe would be to buy one line and learn it. Master it until u are confident with it and you know how it works. Thats the best advice i can give you. So hope this has helped u !!!!
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
@anointdhndz, I have never heard that Doug S. said anything about Gelish being a dangerous product. In any case, your boss might take into consideration that Doug is on the payroll at CND. Is Doug a respected scientist? yes, unbiased, no. Honestly it makes me question more that the sales rep was pushing one brand over another. If Doug was speaking as a scientist he would be stating facts not preferences.
I think if he or any Scientific adviser for each company said or thought it was dangerous, we would all be seeing their info here on BT. Or at the very least on Doug Schoon's Facebook page. I have not seen anything like that.
The Rep needs to treat very carefully or risk crossing into an area of slander that would suck for them.
Ya well that is why i asked. And i do wish again that she would of came to me and valued my opinion when i do extensive research and am skilled in most areas. I took thier nail dept. From nearly nothing to makinf them a good sum of money regularly. The rep. I wld assume was trying to make the sale. I do believe that. But whatever. Thanks for the input guys.....

Smile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Tracy, maybe you could get some of the mini Gelish and try it out. The minis are a little bigger than Shellac full size so they could last a while and you could get a good idea without a huge investment.
where are yall getting OPI gel polish. My state beauty supply rep said it isn't out yet???
Licensed Cosmetologist
Practicing Nail Tech
[email protected]
A user of T.E.N. Gel and Young Nail Acrylic.
Kathy: http://www.goblondies.com has them. Use BT10 for a 10% discount too!
I am a Polish Pro girl through and through, I love the colours, I love how it applies and wears and best of all, the removal process is SO easy!!!

The new formula as Sobeit said, is just lovely and then with the added advantage of the new 'Renew' drops, it makes them even better.

I don't use any other brand but I watch what happens with other brands closely and I want to say the one thing I have noticed is, there was a lot of hype about Shellac (and still is) and how great it is etc etc but what I have noticed is many more techs are coming out of the woodwork to say negative things about it as more time passes.
The biggest thing is...how thick it goes after some time passes. It seems it is not immune to this problem due to the solvents in it like PP was doing and I find this interesting considering all the hype surrounding Shellac.

Is all any tech can do is, do their research, maybe get some trial kits to avoid outlaying heaps of money at once and just narrow your choices down based on the products performance record.
But every tech has their own likes and dislikes and for many reasons and no one should be asked to stop giving their opinion towards any product just because it's someone elses fave product.
If I heard techs saying bad things about my fave product (Polish Pro) I would be watching with interest to see if I had experienced anything similar or the same and to see if it's something I could avoid in the future happening to me cause I know every tech works differently and this has an effect on how the product will work for everyone.

I think we can all agree that way too many product are sold to the public and by many different ways and it seems no company is immune to this and yes it might influence someone to not buy the products but again, everyone is entitled to say their own opinions about this issue without being told to stop cause someone doesn't like what is being said.

This is why it's a forum, we all make the choice to either participate or not and if you don't like what's being said, then you can simply not participate in the thread, it really is that simple. We are not always going to like what each other says and no doubt some will not like what I have said here today but that's life.
I mean no nastiness in my comments, I'm just stating my opinion on this threads contentSmile
My favorite gel polish, and the only brand I use, is Light Elegance, a traditional "hard" gel that applies thin, covers and wears beautifully and must be filed off.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
Quote:Am I the only one who uses Entity One Color gel polish?!

No, you are not alone.

Entity One Color Coutour is my overall favorite SOGP.

Exceptional wear, great color selection, application is easy (no shrink back), 6-pack pricing is affordable, LED and UV cured, soakoff is easy, it is not thick out of the bottle.

I could go on and on about how I love this product because it holds up just as the company claims it will.

Since I have switched to this, my clients nails don't have those white patches anymore.

Bought the starter kit for $149.95 at NailsOne.com. 12 colors, base, top, nubond, clearner. The site - Entity Beauty, has instructions on how to layer the basic kit, creating more color choices. They sell other kits in 6 - pack combinations, which can be found at a number of supply sources for around $70. This makes it cost effective for me to expand my EOCC colection.

I use a LED light to cure it

I have tried several of the popular SOGP brands mentioned here and EOCC works the absolute best for my clientele.

I am loving it. Two thumbs up for this product!

Enhance
Wooshka - what does the renew drops do?

Enhanced - is Entity a gel only or is it a combination of gel/polish?
idonls :
> Wooshka - what does the renew drops do?
>
> Enhanced - is Entity a gel only or is it a combination of gel/polish?

Not to jump in front of Wooshka, but I can tell you why we came out with the Renew drops. As Wooshka said, Polish Pro contains solvents that are commonly found in nail polish, and these tend to evaporate over time (just like traditional nail polish can get "gummy"). The drops simply replace the solvent that has evaporated, bringing it back to its original consistency.

Also, some Polish Pro colors are a bit thicker than others (like the colors with mica in them). I've heard techs say they use a couple of drops from the get-go to get the desired consistency they want. Totally fine to do as well.
Jessie Burkhardt
Director of Marketing & Communications
NSI - Advanced Products. Professionally Preferred.
http://www.nsinails.com
Thank you Jessie for the info. Still waiting on my sample to try it. Maybe CND needs to develop something similar for Shellac for those who find it thick.
Another reason why I would chose others like Polish Pro over Shellac, the renew drops, to be used with PP only and the customer service.
Hi Cheryl,

I'm not sure if EOCC is gel or gel/polish. I never considered that when I was looking for another SOGP to try.

Have a good night!

Enhance
enhanced :
> Hi Cheryl,
>
> I'm not sure if EOCC is gel or gel/polish. I never considered that when I
> was looking for another SOGP to try.
>
> Have a good night!
>
> Enhance

Thank you for responding. I will check with Entity directly then. I will try and you have a good night also.
> OPI axxium soak off. LOVE the application brush and that it comes in a pot, I can get more use out of it then a gel in a bottle, and the precision is so much better. I love that it comes in so many colors as well..I just feel more confident with my work using it than any other gel

Axxium is a soak-off - 20+ minutes, so it is not considered a UV Gel polish which soak off in 5-10 minutes depending on the brand and thickness of the layers. I also think that some of the Axxium line is more considered a hard (file off) type of gel, but I do not use it except for the clear ocassionally under eco So Quick Gel Polish for added strength and am not all that familiar with the rest of the line.

> are the phasing out Axxium though? I see that most sites have it on sale now like they're trying to get rid of it because OPI's new GP is out.

I have heard it is a possibility it will be phased out, but since it really is not the same as the new UVGP and not the same as the hard gel in their line, I would hope they will continue to give us the options for different services and client needs.

> I was a huge fan of Eco until my jars started leaking and I would go to do a service, open the jar and nothing was left.

Peggy,
I had the office send you some replacements, did you get them? I just used a color last week, that I had not used in several months and had no leakage or disappearing acts with it.

> Some soak off gel polishes, because they are a hard gel, could weaken the natural nail, because they trap moisture onto the natural nail, just like wearing nail enhancements. I am not saying any listed above do this, but it is something to consider when picking out a gel polish. Not all gel polishes are created equal.

Idonls,
I know you corrected the "hard gel" statement after this, but I wanted to just take a moment and expand on that for the new people.

In today's market there really are 3 types of gels now:
hard
soft soak-off (20+ minutes)
soft UV Gel polish (5-10 minutes depending on the brand)

Products themselves do not weaken the nails, improperly trained technicians weaken nails. Mr Schoon ( http://www.schoonscientific.com ) has done many an experiment to prove that fact over the years. When I was trained to do nails, I was taught run a 180 grit "around the cuticle area" on the nail plate to do my prep. I still do it that way today, but now I use a much finer grit to protect the nail plate from damage.

You can tell a damaged nail from either hand filing, an efile, or even aggressive prep with a pusher if you look at the naked nail in the area where the last prep has grown out - rings of fire. (I hope that makes sense!) I had a client who got a fill while she was out of town. She came back to me with horrible lifting. At that time, almost every tech was nipping off any lifted area, and I was able to cleanly nip back huge chunks, exposing the area the other tech prepped and the older growth where I had prepped over time. There was a visible demarcation where the other tech had hand filed her prep, clearly exhibiting damage to the nail plate.

Today we are taught (hopefully!) to protect the natural nail while prepping and during removal of all product types. If you need to SCRAPE a UVGP off, you did not soak long enough, the product was applied too thick, or it was not a true soak-offable product. You MAY need to PUSH or FLICK off some product after soaking, possibly you may need to take a white block to completely remove the original application.

While Shellac is I believe the only brand that does not need to have the shine removed before application, none of the other brands advocate an aggressive buffing during prep. Most state "remove the shine". eco So Quick Gel Polish for example states:
Quote:Using a 240 grit file or White Buffer Block, gently remove the natural shine from all of the nails. This removes surface oils and contaminants on the nail plate.

Since UVGP are soakable, therefore are porous, I can not see how any UVGP brand can trap moisture into the natural nail.

> when layering colors, most combos streak badly,

Personally I have not tried layering with the polish bottle brands of UVGP so I can only share with you that with eco So Quick you can mix or layer any of our colors either right on the nail (which Peggy has done with much success) or on a palette. All of our UVGP are gel with a pigment mix in a pot, not a polish bottle, they are pure gel. The gel is identical for each color except for the pigments mixed in, so they can be safely mixed to your hearts content.

> I was shaking the bottles like crazy before each use

Shaking can be such a bore! I much prefer to use a Stir Stick. I now Debbie sells one here in the BT Shoppe quite reasonably, she also carries our Metal Mixing Tool. Either tool reaches all the way to the bottom of the bottle so you can get a great mix!

You can get a free sample of eco Gel Polish by filling out the form at our site link below.
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
Thanks for the info Lorraine. I still believe there is a difference between a weakened nail and a damaged nail. Accoding to definitions there is a difference. But that is just my opinion.
Well sure there is a difference. A damaged nail could be from aggressive filing (e or hand) and therefor would be also considered weak. Then there would be the natural nail that is thin, peeling, maybe with a condition or 3 that would weaken the nail "naturally" not from outside sources. Damage from an injury would also create a damaged and probably weakened nail. I have seen many a client over the years with damaged and or weak nails that were not in that condition due to any procedure or application of nail products. I am sure you have witnessed the same over your years.
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
Hi Lorainne, I did not get any new Eco as of sat anyway. I will check tomorrow. I honestly do not know why I have such a mess with my jars. Altitude? Who knows. But thank you very much for thinking of me and sending me some new ones, hibiscus, right?
Also thank you for supporting my thoughts about moisture being trapped, and how can it be if the product allows oils and acetone and water to penetrate the nail, then it would allow it out of the product as well. Solvents or not, pourus is pourus for gel polish. And I agree, there isn't damage or weakening of the nail plate if you buff to remove surface oils or if you choose other lines of SOGP, there is no damage from product, but from application error or harsh filing and removal.
ColleenNY :
> Kathy: http://www.goblondies.com has them. Use BT10 for a 10% discount too!

I tried finding opi gelpolish on this site, and it can't be found.....it just shows Axxium.

Several have commented on how easily gelish is removed...I haven't had that experience. I don't use it, I am a Shellac fan, but a client went out of state on business, and had gelish on when she returned. I buffed/filed the top coat before soaking, and it took 30 minutes to remove, and when I used the orangewood stick to scrape it off, it crumbled and definitely seemed more rough on the nail than removing Shellac-which I have been using for 1 year and it comes off in 10 minutes, 15 at the very most. Any suggestions on how you all are doing it to remove so quick and easy? thanks...
~Amy~
30 minutes seems way too long for Gelish removal. Maybe since she got it done out of town, it wasn't Gelish? Hard to know for sure. Also, if they used a protein bond before the Gelish it could be extra hard to get off. Also, maybe it was OPI Axxium. People seem to have a harder time getting that off than anything else.

As has been mentioned in other threads, It's hard to know what your getting into these days since almost everyone is calling their service Shellac even though it isn't Shellac.
idonls :
> Wooshka - what does the renew drops do?
>
> Enhanced - is Entity a gel only or is it a combination of gel/polish?

Sorry I haven't been back to answer you, I've been very busy.

Jessie has answered exactly what I would have said. Thanks Jessie, you're a gemSmile

It's good to see NSI come out with something to help their techs, they listened to us all when we told them PP was getting too thick and they acted by bringing out 'Renew'.
It is a great product and it does NOT change the product in any way apart from thinning it back out again and as Jessie said, some techs use it upfront to thin a colour out and it works really well.

I'm sorry to say and this is just my opinion but CND are way behind with this one, instead I feel they are just putting their heads in the sand to avoid having to say that the product they have been raving about, is maybe not as crash hot as everyone thought.
Where as NSI said "yep, we see that you are having problems, lets come up with something to fix it for you all".......and they sure as hell have!!!

This is why I have and always will, stick with NSI, they know how to take care of their techs.
Quote:ColleenNY :
> Kathy: http://www.goblondies.com has them. Use BT10 for a 10% discount too!

I tried finding opi gelpolish on this site, and it can't be found.....it just shows Axxium.

Sorry. I know they have it, maybe you have to call to get info.
Quote:wooshka :
>
> I'm sorry to say and this is just my opinion but CND are way behind with this
> one, instead I feel they are just putting their heads in the sand to avoid
> having to say that the product they have been raving about, is maybe not as
> crash hot as everyone thought.
> Where as NSI said "yep, we see that you are having problems, lets come up with
> something to fix it for you all".......and they sure as word removed have!!!
>
> This is why I have and always will, stick with NSI, they know how to take care
> of their techs.
Exactly me dear!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 2,091
10-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Last Postyou'vegotnail!
Replies: 5