You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite Gel Polish brand? and Why?
I am looking into gel polish to start using it in my salon. There is many different brands to choose from. I would love others input on the brands they like and why.
this may sound old school but OPI axxium soak off. LOVE the application brush and that it comes in a pot, I can get more use out of it then a gel in a bottle, and the precision is so much better. I love that it comes in so many colors as well..I just feel more confident with my work using it than any other gel
are the phasing out Axxium though? I see that most sites have it on sale now like they're trying to get rid of it because OPI's new GP is out.

My favorite GP is Gelish. Goes on great, cures fast, lots of beautiful colors, and it comes off easy.
I second Gelish!
Gelish and Polish Pro. I was a huge fan of Eco until my jars started leaking and I would go to do a service, open the jar and nothing was left. I use Gelish foundation for everything because it holds everything like a dream. I use Gelish and Polish pro Colors and Only Polish pro top coat. Polish Pro will out beat any system as far as soak off goes. Its like nothing you have seen before. They have renew drops for their product only to thin it out if it gets thick. Shellac gets thick and there is nothing to do about it but shake and hope for the best. I was given a new bottle of Polish Pro Greige to replace one that was so thick I think there was something wrong with it. Anyway to the formula is awesome and as soon as I can I will be ordering more Polish pro colors.
CND's Shellac all the way!!! Goes on just like polish, combine colors to make new ones, asked for by clients, stays on great, easy soak off, doesn't weaken natural nails, etc.

Some soak off gel polishes, because they are a hard gel, could weaken the natural nail, because they trap moisture onto the natural nail, just like wearing nail enhancements. I am not saying any listed above do this, but it is something to consider when picking out a gel polish. Not all gel polishes are created equal.
Just to make a small correction. SOGP does not weaken or damage the natural nail. Your removal is the same be it Shellac, Gelish, Polish Pro, Eco, Geleze and so on, Soak it in acetone, bowl or wraps and slide or push remaining product off. Shellac is not excluded from that. Its a nice product but it isnt the only one that there should be no damage left from. Just Sayin :wink:
I tried two brands so far, Shellac and Gelish, and I agree with sobeit, shellac to me it was very thick even if i was trying to apply it very thin, and I painted a few nails and the color was like shrinking so fast, was annoying.

I like Gelish better Big Grin
If Shellac is thick and shrinking you didn't shake it up enough and applying it too thick. You can put it under your thigh to warm it up. You use very, very little of it. Just a llittle ittle bit of it on the tip of your brush is all you need.

Another thing to consider is Gelish is sold to the public, if that is a factor in determing what line you carry.
Another negative of shellac is when layering colors, most combos streak badly, even on the educators displays its very streaky.
Quote:idonls :
> If Shellac is thick and shrinking you didn't shake it up enough and applying
> it too thick. You can put it under your thigh to warm it up. You use very,
> very little of it. Just a llittle ittle bit of it on the tip of your brush
> is all you need.
>
> Another thing to consider is Gelish is sold to the public, if that is a factor
> in determing what line you carry.

Hi Idonls! Big Grin
I was shaking the bottles like crazy before each use (i saw the vid where Holly explained that) but my hand-wrist hurt, so I used the soft part of my chair to like shaking there the bottles, as a matter of fact I was the only nail tech doing this because nobody there at school knew about it, and I tried to explain to the other girls to do the same for better results, but nobody did it anyway Sad.
Thanks for the tips, I will give it another try one of this days, because I really like some colors of the collection.

I also agree with you about gelish being sold to the public, I dont like that either, but so far gelish works still better for me, just my personal opinion. Big Grin :wink:
I've never had an issue of streaking when I layer colors. But I also make sure I'm using colors that are within the same family of hues. A lighter touch will help with eliminating streaking.

Warming up the bottle under your thigh, during prep will help before shaking
I also got one of the hobby paint shakers and that keeps you from having to physically shake so much. Do a search on Google there are several places you can get one Carolyn inexpensive.

Don't give up on it. Just like most nail products you just have to learn how to work with it.
The best thing to do is to consider what you want in a SOGP line. We can all go round and round for the zillionth time about it being sold to the public - (and I still think it was a smart marketing move for Gelish), so if that's an issue for you then choose another brand. I recommend trying them both and seeing which you like best.

Anyway.

Gelish:
Many colors to choose from and you don't have to layer them to get more, but even if you do you still have way more layering options.
30 second cure time with 10 seconds for base coat.
Easy removal.
Larger bottles of color will last you longer = more for your money!
Directions say to lightly buff the nail before application, but some have tried it without the buffing and have the same results.
I so far have tried Gelify, Gelish, Shellac, P2, PolishPro, Gelac, Eco, Axxium and NSI Illusion.
I am sticking with Gelish. Colors, no shaking, no thickening, ease of use, larger bottles (that can be combined wonderfully if you want to eek out that last minute amount from the bottle), ease of removal, shine, availability, wearability and can be used for art in just about any way you can imagine. I am steadily getting more and more clients off of enhancments with this product and my profit margin is greater not only because of cost per service, but time spent per service.
Claudia
C-C My Nails
Newcastle, WY
Thanks everyone for all the info to this point. Ya'll make me want to run out right now and buy and play with some gel polish. My first thought was
Gelish then I saw OPI coming out with theirs. Does anyone have input on OPI's, Jessica's and Young nails?
Young Nails has beautiful colors (not a lot) with awesome coverage. It can be cured in 10 secs (base coat) and 30 secs each color coat and top coat, or the standard time in a UV light.
Cons: I've had certain colors leave yellowing on my clients nails that has to grow out. It is harder to remove than Gelish but if you leave the soak on longer it will scrape off nicely. Just takes longer.

I just ordered the OPI kit to try, I've heard good things about it. And yes, I'm a product junkie!! LOL
Let me know about OPI.
I will wait for the OPI gel color open stock to hit my local Peels store, but I am way excited for some if their colors. I want My Private Jet so bad.
I also hear great things about Artistic Colour Gloss. They have beautiful brown tones I need. I need to sell some ornaments before I can spend more money though.
Colleen, I have gotten my CND lotion from Sallys and they also have Retention and Radical liquid, powders and primer for order.
Quote:Some soak off gel polishes, because they are a hard gel, could weaken the natural nail, because they trap moisture onto the natural nail, just like wearing nail enhancements. I am not saying any listed above do this, but it is something to consider when picking out a gel polish. Not all gel polishes are created equal.
I don't want anyone to get confused, but there are no soak offs that are a hard gel, or they wouldn't be able to be soaked off. Not all gel polishes are made the same, but gel polish no matter how it's made is soaked off, some may file it, but it's supposed to be soaked off, and that is going to compromise the nail the same way no matter which line we chose. So I guess I think we should be aware that shellac as well as Gelish and polish pro all keep moisture in the nail plate, it's why they feel a little soft after removal.
Shellac does not trap moisture on the nail per Doug Schoon. Because it has polish components in it the moisture evaporates off the nail just like when you wear regular Polish.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "hard", but most gel polishes consist of only gel components which could trap moisture onto the nail especially the jar type and file off type.

My clients may be a little soft after soaking but that is from the acetone. As soon as that disapates their nails are back to normal by the time I get ready to prep their nails.
I dont know if they will phase out axxium, I have seen it on sale as well, I kind of doubt it, only because they have released new colors very recently.
I have to say that I am an Akzentz girl. Akzentz was the first gel that I ever ordered once I decided to try my hand at gels. I have since tried several other lines, but my tried and true, go to gel of choice still remains Akzentz, whether I am using a hard, classic gel or a soak off gel polish. The Options line is great, comes in pots and has a wide variety of colors to chose from-solid colors to glittery mixes. I have to say though, that I am absolutely loving the new Luxio line that they have come out with. I have a client who is a nurse practitioner and she is probably my most difficult client in terms of keeping product on. I have been doing her nails for over a year and I usually see her every 10 days because we have chipping or other issues, plus it doesn't help that she picks at her nails a little. I tried using Luxio on her and she came back after 17 days with only two chips and those happened the night before she came to see me. I was about ready to jump up and down because this is the first time that she has ever gone this long! Plus the Luxio top coat is so super shiny! I have been using it on ALL of my clients. For what it's worth, I say Akzentz Luxio or Options line.

I do use some Gelish, Light Elegance and Eco and they work for some, but not all of my clients. About 85% of my clients are in just gel polish over their natural nails. Like I said before, my go-to gel of choice is Akzentz, because I know without a doubt that it will last and hold up on everybody. Hope that helps some. Lots of luck making a decision!
Am I the only one who uses Entity One Color gel polish?! I haven't tried any other brand so I can't tell the differences...
Yowza, I just want to make it very clear that I use Shellac among others and I find it thickens way more than any other brand. I also don't like the idea of layering.
Anyone can buy Shellac from online distributors and not just e-bay or amazon. We know that based on all the irritated techs talking about the diy'er using it and getting it in their homes before some could get it into the salon.
Gelish so far has never thickened on me, and has always performed like it said it would. The nails don't get white spots on them like complaints coming from Shellac users.
I am wondering if that is because it keeps getting pushed that Shellac doesn't hold moisture to the nail plate, maybe the nail is getting to dry from soaking, then Shellac is keeping it so dry, the white spots are a sign that maybe holding moisture is a good thing.
Polish Pro is another like Gelish and Shellac that have solvents in them. I know Gelish has solvents based on its smell. But no one has ever said the solvents in the other product allow the nailplate to be dry all the time. So I guess its a personal preference.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***
I'd Like to get back to the products we like and why, and the products that don't work for us and why, where they are bought cannot be a factor in how they work, since like I have said a million times, everyone can buy them.

My favorites are
Gelish and Polish Pro. The colors and the application and PP removal rocks.
I like Eco but hope to get the bottle version, removal is nice.
Shellac is, meh, it gets to thick. When I am out of them I wont buy more.
I tried Gelify but then they went to GIA and I haven't tried it. I hear great things.
I hear good and bad so far about OPI. But I want to try it.
I wonder how Orly Gel is.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 2,091
10-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Last Postyou'vegotnail!
Replies: 5