You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down sizing at our supply stores
Went into Saloncentric this morning and was shocked to see it condensed down to a 12 foot section. The clerk said they were pushing them to reduce it even more. I know a lot of us use the Internet to order products, me included, however I like to see and touch new products and you can't do that on the Internet.
So if you are associated with a company please remind them to support ALL of the small homegrown nail shows that are popping up all across America. I have found many new companies I did not have access to and did not want to spend my money on products I was unsure of on the Internet.
Half the questions on this site could be answered by just going to shows and talking to the educators that are there. The down side to the shows are that a lot of nail techs wont go. I have been to Jill's show in Gatlinburg for the last 4 years and have yet to meet anyone from my area. So frustrating!
I said all of that to say: Please support our industry and go to the shows and networking events. Off my soap box now, thanks for reading.Smile
I have to say I have been guilty of not attending Jill's show since the first one. It's not that I don't want to, but I have problems with my feet and legs and can't stand or walk much. I was so supprized to not see but about 3 from this area. I know in recent years that some of the students went. I tried for many years just to get local techs here in town interested ina forum type lunch and have a SB inspector come and do a question and answer time. But no one wanted to do that. The techs and hair dressers here are so jealous of their own shadows and are scared that one of their "secrets" might get out.
Always be kind....you get farther.
I noticed that Salon Centric shrunk our nail isle too, but not quite down to 12feet. I go there for the bare minimum. If they cant cater to nail techs, then I will take my business elsewhere. I buy most things online now.
My local Armstrong McCall isn't quite as bad as the Redken store. The Redken rep point blank says he can make more money from the stylists than from the nail techs. Neither one of them have THAT much. So many people patronize the Asian shops which go to Asian supply houses to buy in bulk. Honestly, I do, too, if buying in a brick and mortar store. There's more selection there, not just the big name brands, several types of acrylic, all kinds of tips, at least 5 different brands of polish from the cheap .75 brand to Zoya, OPI, and China Glaze. I really don't understand why these stores limit themselves to such a small part of the share of the market. I'd much rather go see the product in person than have to order it but it's at least an hour's drive to the closest Asian store, I'll order on line and spend anywhere from $80-100+ and it could be going to our local economy.
The beauty supplies in my area only carry OPI, CND, and a few other brands of acrylic which I don't use. Generally NO GEL is carried, only the most expensive tips and glue, etc. I'm sorry, but I work too hard for my money to pay the high end prices on basic stuff like paraffin, glue, etc. Then they put on show only for the stuff they have in their stores........boring!
(03-17-2013, 10:45 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: My local Armstrong McCall isn't quite as bad as the Redken store. The Redken rep point blank says he can make more money from the stylists than from the nail techs. Neither one of them have THAT much. So many people patronize the Asian shops which go to Asian supply houses to buy in bulk. Honestly, I do, too, if buying in a brick and mortar store. There's more selection there, not just the big name brands, several types of acrylic, all kinds of tips, at least 5 different brands of polish from the cheap .75 brand to Zoya, OPI, and China Glaze. I really don't understand why these stores limit themselves to such a small part of the share of the market. I'd much rather go see the product in person than have to order it but it's at least an hour's drive to the closest Asian store, I'll order on line and spend anywhere from $80-100+ and it could be going to our local economy.
The beauty supplies in my area only carry OPI, CND, and a few other brands of acrylic which I don't use. Generally NO GEL is carried, only the most expensive tips and glue, etc. I'm sorry, but I work too hard for my money to pay the high end prices on basic stuff like paraffin, glue, etc. Then they put on show only for the stuff they have in their stores........boring!

I know what you mean about the limited selections. I try to go to the shows that have more than just the top 2(OPI,CND). Never been to an Asian store, dont think there is one here in my town. Will have to check that out. If not, I don't have the time to drive more than 30 minutes away, and only if they are open on Sunday.
The vendors that do go to the smaller shows are making a big difference in this industry, found some products that I love that way, and some I am not real thrilled with. Plus the education is fantastic at the smaller shows. Hope lots more companies get on board the smaller nails only shows!
When I go to Kansas City, I love going to Allure Nail Supply, which I believe is asian. Its like being in nail heaven with all their goodies.
I thought it was just my local Armstrong McCall with a small selection. I thought it was just because I live in a fairly small city. The last time I went there was only CND and OPI acrylic, and a very small selection at that. There was a Gelish display but no other Nail Harmony products. The small section of nail supplies was picked over and in disarray. I was disappointed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 8
Views: 5,278
06-05-2017, 02:21 AM
Last Postcosmobeauty
Replies: 0
Views: 2,184
10-06-2013, 03:33 PM