You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
products provided @ salon question
Hi- I was wondering when working in a salon what's the norm for salon products / commission?
Who provides products?
What's commission?
If your commission only & provide products?
If commission only- do you sit around the salon all day waiting for appointments or for potential hair clients to decide on your services too-- or only come in for booked appointments?

I understand you need to build this business- what's the best way?
At home? In a shop? Etc...

Thanks
I am still new. I've had my license for almost a year now. I work in a salon that provides everything except my implements. I'm on commission, only get paid for the clients I do. I am required to be there in case of a walk in.
I like not paying for a space and I like having everything pretty much provided. One day I'd like to work out of my home.
Hope you find the answers you are seeking.
I've only been doing nails for about 2 years, I'm a renter in the salon and I provide everything. The salon I work in has about 15 stylist so that does help. I have been able to build my clentele fairly fast. I stay at the salon weather I have business or not. I have certain hours that I maintain.
Get Nailed at JB Salon & Day Spa
I think every possible combination of who supplies what is being done - so I'm not sure there's a "normal" in this industry. For my shop, if I had an employee I would supply everything as I would want everyone using the same products, but that's just me.

For building, yes, you have to put in time of just being there so that you're available for walk ins. When I was starting out locally, I had three days a week where I had set hours and I stayed on site regardless of whether I had appointments. That's a great time to be doing amazing sets on yourself (which will get people talking) or working on art displays, etc. I also would be on call an additional two days - which only works if you really will drop everything and get to the salon in 15 minutes! Also, on the days you are set to be at the salon, if there's a receptionist who could call you in quickly for a walk-in, you could be out distributing information at nearby offices, etc. or some other marketing techniques.

I'm personally contemplating moving my salon into my home, but I don't think I would have started that way as it's much harder (I would think) for people to find you there unless you already have people wearing your services that will gain you referrals and word of mouth business.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Thanks!
I'm looking for a job in my area and most places are booth rental at $400+ a month (provide all supplies/implements yourself), hourly +commission(supplies provided except for implements) or just commission (same as previous).
So an offer of 65% & provide your own products, implements, & supplies isn't a good offer? There isn't a nail tech now & mostly regular clients.... salon has been in business over 30 years, but without a nail person for a few years-it is on a main road & owner is heavily looking to make nails work--- I suppose giving it a shop to build & then change to rental is an option that might work......
Most of the time the rate is 60%. Does the owner understand that by paying you comm., she's going to be paying your taxes? Or is she planning on doing the 35% she keeps as your b.r. fee? If you get 65% but have to pay for all your supplies, it could be tough going for a while unless you have a healthy fund to pull from while you build.
Unsure-- good questions as this is ALL new to me!
If you are paid a commission, then you are an employee - meaning the employer will withold and remit taxes on your behalf. If she has been in business for 30 years, she should know that. So as an employee, 65% is a great commission in my opinion.
make sure she KNOWS you expect your taxes paid by her unless she intends to use that 35% as your b.r. fee. As an employee, you will have to work the hrs. SHE sets, too. If she goes for the b.r. set up, make sure you get a contract outlining everything. As gelpro says, if she's been in biz for 30 years SHE should know this but maybe she's counting on YOU not knowing!
I agree with the others - on commission she should be paying the employers part of social security, unemployment insurance, workman's comp, etc. and when you process credit cards they should go through her system.

Saying you'll get 65% and provide all products isn't really giving enough information to give an answer to on whether that's a good deal. To know a fair price/rate you have to look at what the overhead costs are that are being paid by the salon and what the service prices are. If the overhead and prices are low, 65% could be peanuts, but if the overhead is high and you can charge a rate that provides an actual livable wage, 65% could be an incredible deal.

In my little town I pay $800 for rent and heat/water for my little shop. Add onto that the signage, coffee, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, fixing things that break, wear and tear on flooring, window covering, furniture... all those things that have nothing to do with doing nails and still cost money. I don't know costs in your area, but if you're charging in the ballpark of what I am (you can see on my website), you're looking at about 30-35% going to overhead - not including paid advertising. On top of that you have supplies and wear & tear on tools (6-15% depending on where your pricing falls). Realistically even if you did pay your own taxes (which you shouldn't as an employee) 65% could be a lot more than you would earn if you had your own shop if the location and atmosphere are good.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
It's 65% & I bring my own products!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 2,623
04-15-2013, 09:45 PM