You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multiple nail techs in a booth rent shop/salon?
11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
 (Print Post)
Multiple nail techs in a booth rent shop/salon?
Anyone have this work situation now or in the past? If so, how does that work for you - pros/cons?

I am asking since I am only a year into the industry and I have been booth renting thus far. Currently I am the only nail tech in a salon with two stylist who seem to be happy with only 4 days per week. In other words they seem complacent. Complacent doesnt work for me. Sad

There is a salon 20 mins away that sounds interesting. In researching the salon, it appears that they have at least two techs at any given time with one being a constant and from what I can find she has been a nail tech for 20+ years.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
FYI- I have posted this on my FB page as well.
Thank you.

Anna
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2011, 09:01 PM
 (Print Post)

Hello! I have been in both situations. And by far the busier salon was the way to go for me. We have 6 stylists and 2 nail techs, myself and another girl who only does mani's and pedi's HA...sucks for her. Of course being in the business for 7 years and being very good at what I do, my business continues growing and her's seems to shrink by the day. Don't get me wrong, I do not wish for her to fail or anything like that. But if you are not going to put 100% into your career then you can not expect to get 100% return. When I was in a smaller shop, my business could not grow. I rely on my fellow stylists to help me. I provide services for them, help them out, make sure their clients SEE me helping out. Because I am only one person. But if I can influence 6 other stylists and their 600+ other clients...my business builds. I know another shop in town that has 4 nail techs...eeek, I would not like that. The more people you have to share the space with, the less chance you have at gaining those clients. But that is the other thing, get to know the clients coming in to see the hair dressers. Be friendly and talk to them, ask them their names, always smiling and always excited to see them. I know about 90% of the clientele that comes into our shop and they know me. Also the owner of the shop introduces all the new clients to me, by name and I try and repeat their name while talking to them so that I get to know the name and the face together. As well, the owner of the shop kinda taught me a neat little trick. I would notice every person he met, he made them feel like they were the most awesome person he has ever met and then he would say, "I would love to do your hair." I started trying this, "I would love to do your nails." You would not believe the response I have gotten.

Best of luck in whatever you decide Smile
Find all posts by this user
11-26-2011, 11:36 PM
 (Print Post)

I have been in both too. I rented in a nail/tannin salon with 4 other techs and the place was busy. We took walk-ins giving them to whom ever was open. We all answered one mutual # yet each had a phone near our table so we could multi-task. We paid rent weekly, made our own hours, and bought all our own supplies, including towels. We each had a duty for cleaning so there was never one person doing it all. And we each took a turn ringing up the retail.
I worked 3 days and taught the night manicuring class.
Now and for the last 8 years I have been a solo nail tech renting on a hair salon. I work 4 days a week, and I do not stick around if I am not busy. I think the lack of similar interest ( like another nail tech ) and the drive, oh and the economic hit the area took, has me feeling like I need to move on, so I do not put effort into my location anymore. For trying to fill my books with new people. I do love what I do and I love my current long time clientele.
It is very different renting with other nail techs. Its very rewarding and its busier. In my opinion that is. I Just would lock everything up I didn't want used, from my e-file to my polish remover and so there was never an issue of so and so used or took. I would go back to that kind of situation as long as the other renters didn't compare my schedule to their own. I work hours that I can handle and that is all on me. They do what they do, and we are not the same. That was the only problem I recall having. Them talking smack because they thought I should be there the same amount of time as they put in. I just reminded them, I pay my rent, so what does it matter to you? I am here these days and that's that.
11-27-2011, 03:24 AM
 (Print Post)

I'm the only nail tech in a busy salon, 9 stylists on a busy day, 5 when it's not busy. I can honestly say being the only one is a HUGE benefit to me, but there's been times when I wasn't the only one. I found the other techs' being there didn't hurt as they'd already built their clientel and weren't interested in adding on plus they only worked a few days a week. I work 4 full days a week, off on the weekends and I stay pretty busy.
If I were going to move, I'd want to know if the other techs are staying pretty well booked. That would mean the over flow would come to you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2011, 02:21 PM
 (Print Post)

Hi Anna,

I work in a big salon (20 hair stylists :shock: ) 4 estheticians 2 massage therapists and 2 nail techs. The hair stylists are commission employees but all the spa depts are leased out.

Honestly, I think it really helps to have 2 techs because people like to come in pairs, and if we get a walkin there is a better chance one of us is available to take the person.

Not to mention, I stay pretty busy just with the emplyees there Big Grin

Also, I think you'll get alot of experience in a faster paced salon, and working with a veteran. Assuming she's any good.

The downside: you will have to compete with someone. And you may have to overcome their bad reputation. Hopefully this won't be the case.

http://www.JesseDavidNailDesign.com
Wilmington, DE
Find all posts by this user
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nail Salon Help JAADM95 1 1,883 07-14-2014 09:20 PM
Last Post: lovethosetoes
  Have you opened a nail salon in the past couple of years? beautywriter 0 495 05-13-2014 02:15 PM
Last Post: beautywriter
Rainbow Nail Talk Radio: Empower(ing) Nail Techs NTR_Braden 0 451 04-29-2014 09:19 PM
Last Post: NTR_Braden
  advise from all you nail techs barbc 5 637 02-14-2014 06:20 AM
Last Post: barbc
  Time to raise the rent! Opinions please. nailjunky 4 1,338 02-06-2014 08:25 AM
Last Post: Pensad
  Booth Rent Question (sharing one) Tashawna 2 718 01-27-2014 11:51 PM
Last Post: Tashawna
  Hairstylist booth rent vs Nail tech boothrent AmyDavis82 0 497 01-01-2014 09:55 PM
Last Post: AmyDavis82
  Any nail techs in Winnipeg Canada?? AlaskaLiz 0 377 12-22-2013 12:56 AM
Last Post: AlaskaLiz
  Starting new Nail Salon (ongoing) Levig 15 4,443 11-19-2013 06:43 AM
Last Post: ForwardMarch
  Booth rent vs commission Killereyez83 1 678 11-08-2013 03:08 PM
Last Post: Onykophile