You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
client w/ nail disorder???
Hello all, I am new to this site and this is my first time posting. I need some help figuring out a problem with one of my clients nails. Several months ago she developed an allergy to acrylics, so i removed them and waited a few weeks and started her on shellac. Everything went fine for a while, then she developed what looked like fungus, so i sent her to the dr. he gave her a round of antibiotics and a cream. A few weeks later...same problem. She went back to the dr and gave her more antibiotics. I do not think that this is a fungus, but i am at a loss as to what it could be. The only symptom she has is a couple of her nails have unattached from the nail bed and is white. There is no blackness, no open sores. As many meds as she has been on, there is no way this could be a fungus. All my implements and files are sanitized. Does anyone have any ideas? I told her that I thought she may have something going on in her body that she doesnt know about and she might want to have some bloodwork done. Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I went through the same thing with one of my clients. We removed acrylic, tried, gel. Same thing happened. But i noticed it looked like the white nails and lifting only occured at the place where product was applied and as the nail grew, the white nails spots grew too, leaving healthy looking nail behind it. She had been to the doctor and they said it wasn't fungus but looked like a product reaction. So we removed everything. Did basic manicures with no polish. The nails reattached to the nail bed and are now healthy. I AM NOT A DOCTOR, and I did not tell her to do this. BUT, her doctor said she could use Neosporin ointment and put it under her nail on the affected nails and it would help the nails to reattach. Her nails look great now,,but we are not doing enhancements any longer.
April, Country SAS Salon

"Expect the best, Prepare for the worst, Celebrate it ALL!"
There are similar properties in acrylics, gels and no-chip products. I am guessing she is having a reaction to one of these properties. (I am one who can not wear acrylics, gels or certain no-chip products due to an allergy to something in all three) I would also suggest leaving of all product and doing regular manicures with a buff shine and see if there is any improvement. The Neosporin and cuticle oil also helped me to everything back to normal.
Can you do a gel service with a classic hard gel instead of the constant removal? I'd go with manicures like the other tech said for about 2 months, then try a hard gel base that won't require being soaked off and is non porous. You can apply colored gels over that and just file the color off to the base hard gel each time they come in. The solvents in the soak off products may be causing a bit of a problem? I don't know, it would be something I'd try.
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
Akzentz Distributor & Educator
http://www.luvnailz.com
Lisa, welcome to our world!

(01-05-2013, 03:06 AM)lisab68 Wrote: Several months ago she developed an allergy to acrylics, so i

tell me what you saw that you decided she had developed an allergic reaction to the acrylics?

(01-05-2013, 03:06 AM)lisab68 Wrote: what looked like fungus, so i sent her to the dr. he gave her a round of antibiotics and a cream. ....

couple of her nails have unattached from the nail bed and is white. There is no blackness, no open sores. As many meds as she has

and I'd like to know what exactly you were seeing when you settled on the fungus word Smile Only a Dr can determine a fungus by doing a culture. We can have a clue given our experience, the color, sometimes an odor, but the word fungus is a Dr's call not ours.

The detached plate and "white" I assume is the nail bed looks white not pink where there is the detachment.. that is usually a strong sign of allergic reaction. Think about the fact the body is saying there is something on the nails I don't like and I don't want it there and is forcing the nail plates off the nail bed.

Usually at this point some tech will (incorrectly) move the client to some gel product thinking this will improve the situation. On the contrary tho it can make it worse!

All gels - hard, soft, soak-off and even gel polish - are in real base words partially cured acrylic in a gel like state. Now add in the sticky or "dispersion" layer and there is actually a higher chance of an allergic reaction that traditional acrylics.

In this case I would make a plan to remove any product. You said she's wearing Shellac now, in this case I would soak her - but I would also break the seal on the top coat to help speed up the process. I'd also wrap her hands in a towel or heated mitts to keep them warm further speeding up the process of soaking. If she had any other type of enhancement product on, I would thin it out as much as possible keep them short and polished for protection. Your client still needs to keep them short and polished. A client going through this process should be warned not to change polish frequently, minimize exposure to cleaning or other harsh chemicals (wear gloves!) and keep the nails short so as to minimize any further trauma to the nail plate & bed. The hands and nails MUST be kept dry.. good toweling after washing and a hair dryer if needed to dry under the separated plate, some suggest a drop or 2 of rubbing alcohol will help dry in the lifted areas. The client should also be admonished strongly NOT to poke anything under there "to see how far its lifted".

Hope that helps.. let us know how she is doing!

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 2,243
12-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Last PostGetNailed
Replies: 0
Views: 1,762
03-15-2012, 09:44 PM