You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace LED Light?
I know LED lights are supposed to last for a while but they can't last forever. At one of my salons, we use the Gelish system with the 18G light. Many of our clients have had lifting with nearly every tech. One even had to come back in an hour! We do mostly gel manis, anywhere from 3-10 clients per day. Do the lights need to be replaced?
It is my understanding that the LED lights either work or they dont. I cant imagine you have this lamp for more than a year and even if you are using it all day on every client it really should last far longer than that.

Did you look to see all the bulbs are lit in there?
Is it every client?
Is it different colors/brands?
Are they (the techs) all using one single lamp? or each have their own lamp?
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

We got the lamps shortly after it came out and each tech has their own. All the bulbs are lit and it's a maybe a third of the clients lifting. We use Protein Bond as well. Its various colors, all gelish
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
Debbie is correct, LED's either work or they don't. However, it could be the lamp has a power supply problem and is not giving enough voltage to the LED's - so they don't shine as bright.
Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
I don't discount that thought process Bob, but given the information shes supplied I think it must be something else... if it was a brand new lamp, if everyone of one tech's clients, if all of all the clients of all of the techs.. seems to me too many techs/lamps/clients involved to be the lamps issue.. only thing is if everyone is wrong and these units DO lose their umph after so many use/hours..

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Deb, I just read your post on another thread about applying the base too thick. I noticed no one really scrubs it into the nail but they have been doing it the same way since the beginning. I'm wondering if it's a combination of these factors causing the problem
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
application issues is always a possability.. I might also consider if the colors are shaken (enough) or stirred (enough) EVERY time it is used. If one or the other is not done properly every time, then at some point there is the possability the ratio of product in the bottle is off, and what you applied is even off more because you didn't give it a good mix before use.

I might play a little more detective as to which colors.. how full those bottles are.... how much mixing stirring was done.

I'm not convinced about those little shaker machines.. Havent tried one so I really cant say... my head says how is that scooping up whats on the bottom and mixing with whats on the top.. like mix meatloaf or cookies and not scraping the bottom to mix (the dry bread crumbs or flour) with the more liquid ingredients on the top. Does that make sense? Personally bottle or pot, I stick it with my stir stick (I have 2 different ones for sale in the SHOPPE) and stir stir stir, scrape, turn, fold, stir some more

I'm not saying this is your issue.. it's all really supposition and food for thought...

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin

Update:

So we have replaced a couple lamps just to test and see if that fixed the problem and it did! No more lifting the next day. I'm hoping those lamps just had a power supply problem like Bob said and LED lights don't lose their power after frequent use.
hum very interesting.. I think I will speak to both Jim @ Light Elegance and Dough Schoon on this one.. The lights that were not replaced -- they still had lifting issues?
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin

Like all "lamps" or "bulbs", LED lamps will also begin to weaken and produce less UV over time. Depending on how heavily/often the LED-style UV nail lamp is used will determine on long they will last. Typically, nail techs can expect to get 3-4 years before the LED nail lamp is producing too little UV and will have to be replaced. Since the LED modules are not replaceable, the entire unit will likely have to be replaced every 3-4 years. If you use these lamps less, it will take longer before the lamp must be replaced.
Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Adviser
Creative Nail Design, Inc.
The life expectancy of the LED's is much longer than the compact fluorescent lamps (9-watt). There are a few things we should keep in mind - LED technology in the 405 nm wavelength (Gelish, YN, OPI) is relatively new compared to 9-watt compact fluorescent lights. Each one of these manufacturers uses a different bulb as well - so each light is different for each manufacturer. We will learn the benefits and detriments of each LED light as we use them over the next few years. Each manufacturer has chosen LED's that they believe are the best but only time will tell which light and LED lamp is best. It sounds like the Gelish LED light was the problem but as Bob mentioned, it could also have been the power supply to the light. Its possible that the AC/DC converter on the power cord was working less optimally and a change of the cord could have fixed the issue rather than requiring the replacement of the light.
[for clarification, that is not just any ole' Jim there, that is Jim from Light Elegance]
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin

So, if I'm understanding this right, these lights aren't life time as some have been touted to be........I've got the OPI lamp and it's supposed to be be rated at 50K hrs. There's no way I can use the lamp that many hrs. at 4 min. per set in the 3-4 years. Does the intensity of the light deteriorate like a UV bulb does?
Somewhere along the way, someone told me that you should not plug your lamps into an extension cord, rather they should be plugged into the wall socket to ensure maximum output. Can anybody comment on this?
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I use Gelish & ext. Cord to my led lamp- wondering if this is my issue?? I'm still a student & thought application-- but will go back to direct wall plug as well as other suggestions I was given!! Can UV light use ext cord & be ok or no to this as well?? At school we use extension cords on both UV & LED.
The extension cord can't have any negative effect - if it works correctly. It's just a cable.
Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 3,356
09-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Last Postsueefd