You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know you've heard it before
Hello Ladies,

I feel like I'm in such blah place. I finally got my first gig, working every other weekend at a nail salon. That was a couple of weeks ago. This week she let me go sighting that my every other week schedule was not allowing me time to improve.
I interviewed with a well known salon, they are booked from open to close. They wanted to hire me however my alternate weekend work schedule will not work for them.

I know every other weekend will not really help me improve my skills/speed. I currently have a F/T job that I hate and I want to focus on my nails and waxing but I just don't have the time.
What's even more frustrating is that I have the opportunity work in the nail industry on a commercial level (through friends) IF my skills can improve.
I'm contemplating quitting my job so that I can improve my nails speed/skills and work these jobs that I want. Other than that, I don't see any other way. What do you think? I have a F/T job and I'm a single mom. I really don't have the option of doing friends and family ( they don't really live nearby).
The plus side of this that I contacted one of our professional trade mags about writing a piece on singles trying to make it in our industry, and they have agreed! Smile (something to smile about).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
I am in the same boat. I am so passionate about the beauty industry (nails and waxing) but I make a higher income with my full-time career. My skills are not good enough yet to where I could make the same salary providing nails and waxing services. So I have been connecting with other local nail techs who are mentoring me which helps improve my skills. Eventually, I would like to work part-time in a salon on the weekends.

Here are my thoughts: continue to practice, and try to find a local nail tech who is willing to mentor you. This will help you improve your skills faster. Like you, I don't have a lot of friends that are local I can practice enhancements on. The best solution - the Nail Trainer Hand. I know it's expensive, but if you can invest in one, do it! It's the closest thing to a real hand and it is worth it! Also watch videos on YouTube - they really help.

I read an article in one of our trade magazines that suggested we save as much money as we can before taking a leap on faith and leaving a full-time career to do nails full time. When you don't have a clientele built it's really tough to get clients and keep them when you work part-time. I know a nail tech who has been doing nails 20 years; she's an amazing educator and her work in INCREDIBLE! She is considering working full-time and doing nails part-time. So it just goes to show, you can be the best of the best, but still have to work extra hard to keep the money coming in.

I hope this helps! Good luck with everything!

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Thank you Chrissy. Sometimes just knowing I'm not the only one makes me feel better! Do you know which nail trainer is best? The one my school gave me was awful and is long gone!. I really need to get my polishing better and my speed up.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,365
10-27-2014, 01:41 PM