You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Has your buisness slowed down?
Just wanting to know if everyone across the country has experienced a slow down. I've been doing nails for 9 years and I have slowed way down. Clients are stretching out their appointments. Anybody else experience this?
Pen Sadler/ owner/nail tech
Definitive Touch Salon
7791 Cooper Road
Montgomery, Ohio
513-794-0733
http://www.myspace.com/pensad
Licensed managing manicurist
young nails addict
Entity Advantage Member #73789

We are here to SERVE one and another.......
Yes I have slowed down very much . After March things pick up. Since i developed tennis elbow/carpel tunnel its a good way to rest my arm.
Yep. It's very slow for me. I usually get a little slower in September and October because of back to school but this year has been unusual. I have frequent openings in my schedule and no waiting list which has not been the case for a few years.

People who have stopped coming or have stretched out their appointments have said it's because of the economy. Either they have lost their jobs, their hours have been cut or they have other expenses. Just paying for gas for their car has taken up a lot of the money they would have used for luxuries.

I'm hoping that after the election, things will get better. I think it's going to take a long time to get us out of this mess, though. I'll just muddle through and get a part time job if I can.
Yes! And, people are cheaper than ever.
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jennifer
Acrylic & Gel Tech Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
We've slowed down a little, but we always do this time of year.
Yes, I've slowed down quite a bit. Thank goodness for regulars but about every other week, I've no one on Wed., and this past week, no one on Fri. too! Not good....
It is very slow right now for me. Sept. and Oct. are usually that way, but this is the worst I have seen in several yrs. Just sit tight and ride it out. Continue to give the best customer service and pray that this economy turns around. I have tried to use my "down" time by cleaning and doing an inventory,but I can't fill all the hours with that! I have had two or three days a week with no customers. I agree, not good. But the holidays are coming and hopefully, things will turn. Lets all try to have a good week!
Remember: God puts us where he wants us to be.
Here for me too. I have a very flexible part time job that I work around my nail appointments and they are offering me some opportunity for more hours. I am REALLY struggling with it. Just had a SATURDAY with no clients and today I have a Monday with no clients. it is scary. Been doing nails 10 years, love my clients, but I am worried about it.
Wowser, guess I'm the odd ball here. Been pretty busy here! The thing I notice is the new ones don't book standing appointments as much. They just want to call. I tell them that is ok, but they will have to take what time is left and have to call earlier in the week to get in. Sure am grateful for my standing appointment clients. Without them I wouldn't know what was coming in, for sure.

The other thing I've noticed going on is peeps don't want to book on Saturdays. Anyone else notice this?
I'm trying to build in this. Can you imagine? Many days of just sitting....
Nebraska supposedly has not been affected by the economy, but business sure has for me too. Sept hit and Im slow as molasses. Everyone wanting stuff for free or discounted. To think I had a waiting list 3 years ago seems crazy.
(10-29-2012, 11:12 AM)Luvglitter Wrote: Wowser, guess I'm the odd ball here. Been pretty busy here! The thing I notice is the new ones don't book standing appointments as much. They just want to call. I tell them that is ok, but they will have to take what time is left and have to call earlier in the week to get in. Sure am grateful for my standing appointment clients. Without them I wouldn't know what was coming in, for sure.

The other thing I've noticed going on is peeps don't want to book on Saturdays. Anyone else notice this?

that's one reason I quit working on Sat., people want to get their hair done on Sat., but they can get their nails done earlier in the week and they'll still look fine. My clients have told me that they've got other things planned for the weekends and don't want to spend it getting their nails done. I've found working late hours makes up for it for me. I'm the only only one in town who works really late. I HAVE noticed that there's 3 McNail salons, that have recently started opening on SUNDAY!! That right there tells me some of them are feeling the pinch!
It's so slow for me that I have actually taken tomorrow off. Only 4 clients so far this week. I am so very grateful that my darling husband is still watching over me from above and that he cared about me in life to provide for me after he was gone. Otherwise, I would be in dire straights right now. It is really slow for the girl who owns the salon where I rent. She sat for over 2 hours today and that never happens to her. We can only pray that the economy improves and that people start spending on those little luxuries again. Smile
Remember: God puts us where he wants us to be.
Thanks for the replys... This has been the slowest last two month since I started. I figured it was the economy with gas and food being so high. It will get better, I have faith. I think people are waiting until after the election. I know I feel like there is this big cloud over me and as soon as the election is done and over with it will go away. Along with all the negative ads..... enough already... Let's get positive... Have a great week..
Pen Sadler/ owner/nail tech
Definitive Touch Salon
7791 Cooper Road
Montgomery, Ohio
513-794-0733
http://www.myspace.com/pensad
Licensed managing manicurist
young nails addict
Entity Advantage Member #73789

We are here to SERVE one and another.......
Yeppers! Attitude is everything!! Wink
Murphy's law - I've recently had to cut back my schedule due to health issues (nerve damage in my face). I have left just enough room for my regulars now that my snowbirds are gone (no room probably for them to come back to me), and I'm getting new clients every week! I've been telling my regulars they need to set standings to protect their time and I think they didn't believe me, so only booked out one or two appointments - now the new people coming in want standings because they had to wait a week or two to get in... I have no idea how this will work out, it's dangerous to be full and not fit people in because then when you need to fill a spot down the road people have stopped calling!

Anyway, in my area I've noticed that when my snowbirds go South for the winter they get replaced by people who want nails for the holidays and some become regulars while others drop out about the time my snowbirds come back. Weird but true, last year I didn't get my much anticipated "slow time" in the winter months. We have seen many economical hits in our area, but there are enough retired people and business commuters in our area that it keeps the local business' going.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I'm definitely seeing it slow down. However, I just had to take a little over a month off because I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands. Thank goodness for faithful clients !!!! Just hoping I get some new ones also Smile
Yes business has slowed down for me as well. I condense my schedule to adjust to the amount of clients schedule and use the extra time to brainstorm ideas and develop skills and practices on line with the different websites available. Make sure my shop is almost spotless (giving attention to those places that get ignored). And of course.....PRAY!!! It's tough for us all. Hang in there and ride the waves.
".....manifest your visions into physical beauty"
I also have noticed nobody wants to get their nails done on Saturdays. Fine with me Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
It's been extremely slow here as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this is due to the upcoming election. We haven't been this slow in years.
Been slow for me also. Very odd. A few people have dropped off deciding to go natural to save money. I have noticed that next week things will be picking back up.
Of course my first grandchild is due at this time so that figures. I personally have enjoyed the down time to get things done around my house but than I am not the main bread winner in my house so that is a plus.
Angela
Some clients need to stretch, making room for new ones. Thanks to loyal clients with standing appointments, business continues to be relatively strong. Last year was best year ever, ahead of that pace through October 31.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 4,904
03-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Last PostMalea