You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New client said what? Oye vey.
So I had two new clients yesterday. And I had forgotten about this comment or rather strange thought process of one of them. She was getting Shellac done, she had been to the discount shop a few doors down 2 times and the polish chipped in 3 days. She had them done once before in CA where they stayed 3 weeks. So she is here to give me a shot. She is a country club mom, and this is my general market in my location.
But these ladies that actually have money, still want to save a buck of course, even at the risk of their health.
She asked me if I do pedicures, I do and explained my small set up and how it works when we do them. I told her I didn't have a big tub but a basin for ease and cleanliness. Her response. " I love those big chairs but I know the tub is filthy, I have never seen them clean it between clients, so I just cringe when I put my feet in. But I have a good immune system to I can hope for the best"
Confusedhock: She will hope for the best. She knows they are dirty, she doesn't want to think about what's floating around in there, and thank goodness she has a good immune system. I wanted to poke my ears out. Hahaha. The things that will save us money. I wanted to say it doesn't save you money on Dr bills when you get an infection, but I didn't. ( that place has had 2 clients this year end up with a leg infection from their disgusting tubs ) I know because I was told by the clients. But they don't want to take time to write the state and complain. And CO makes it soo easy via their website. Ugh.
Unfortunately this is a common trend among nail factories near me, on more than one occasion I have had people call me at my shop and ask me if they could get the gel nails that don't give them mold...
UGH! That is all I have to say!
Dedee
I had a client who got a staph infection from a salon and had huge doctor bills from it and came to me a few times. After her third appointment she said I can't afford you anymore so I am gonna go back to my old lady. I said the one who gave you the infection? She says yes she was a lot cheaper. Confusedhock:
That's just nasty. Money is NO indication of hygiene. I wouldn't eat HER potato salad at the church social.
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
Anyone who would knowingly subject themself to filth has feet that I don't want to touch. I can only imagine what's under those country club toenails.
Jeanne - New You Nail Gallery
Detroit, MI

"The MIND, once stretched by the IMAGINATION, never regains its original form"
Had a lady come in for her first time with us. Her sister-in-law was a regular and gave her a gift certificate. The sis- in- law wenyt first. When we told the lady it would be a minute for us to set up another footbath for her, she said, " You aren't going to use her water for me?" We told her no. That was not how things are done. She then told us about the palce she had been going to for over a year using the same water in a spa chair all day for clients. And yes, she had done this.
It is so hard for me to believe that people just don't care, and allow these things to happen, and go back for more. They say ignorance is bliss. This is past ignorance, this is stupidity.
Always be kind....you get farther.
I just don't understand. I get wanting to save money, who doesnt right? But not when it comes to a few dollars for sanitation and safety. It's just gross. Then again we have seen how gross women can be, public restroom anyone? So I shouldn't be to surprised. Haha.
Ewwww!! I had a potential client with a big mustache lol!, she also was looking for cheaper prices, didn't matter quality or safety, or hygiene.
That's sad Sad
Yup! I had a woman come in last night for the first time. She had gone to a McNails and hated her nails, and was referred to me by a woman at her school. So we hooked her nails up and when it came time for her pedi I was mortified by her heals! They had used a metal scraper on her heals and it looked like they just went in and scraped out random CHUNKS of her heals! They were STILL bruised black and blue and she had gone 3 weeks ago!
Fortunately, she is one of the rare few that has learned from her mistakes. She scheduled her next nail appointment and a hair appointment with me before she left...
Confusedhock:
Oh my goodness. I have the creepy-crawlies from these stories! YUCK!
I love my "salad" Pedicure bowls! LOL (they are the big clear food-grade plastic bowls)--we scrub them with anti-bac soap, rinse, and disinfect with Marvicide. Works like a charm!
I love the bowls and basins too. I don't want a plumbed in chair even if I had the money and space. I will always scratch my head when a client says "but they are cheaper." When the place is clearly filthy.
We do have the plumbed chair at the salon I'm at. It was there when I got there though... That said, I actaully won't do back to back pedi's because I scrub it and circulate cleaner/disinfect through it EVERY TIME I use it. I wish I could say the same for the McNails places around here, obviously though, not so much.
It makes me happy to get on here and see that I'm not the only one out there that actually feels clients safety and salon sanitation is important! Gotta say man, I love you guys! lol
What I don't understand is how these salons get away with this kind of thing with the health inspectors! How do they not see all these sanitation issues going on? They are clearly have very poor hygiene how are they not shut down is what I want to know.

At least there is some kind of state licensing in the US, where I am, there isn't, so you can imagine how terrible it is with people that don't even know sanitation, let alone don't care.
Crazy! I had a lady come to my shop last night with the worst nail damage I have ever seen! She booked an appointment with me then said, how much is a new set $25? uhmm NOO i charge $44 but i can assure you you will not be walking away in pain or with ugly nails! She's like oh they don't hurt me, yeah ok! Then I tried to tell her about hygiene and she says oh the chop shops in the states are very clean as they use scrubbing bubbles and they have these boxes with lights in them to disinfect everything!!!! LMAO! You can not fix stupid! Everything I tried to tell her she had an answer. She did not cancel her appointment, but I really hope she does not come as I can not tolerate stupid!! LOL
Quote:pampered1 :
> Crazy! I had a lady come to my shop last night with the worst nail damage I
> have ever seen! She booked an appointment with me then said, how much is a
> new set $25? uhmm NOO i charge $44 but i can assure you you will not be walking
> away in pain or with ugly nails! She's like oh they don't hurt me, yeah ok!
> Then I tried to tell her about hygiene and she says oh the chop shops in the
> states are very clean as they use scrubbing bubbles and they have these boxes
> with lights in them to disinfect everything!!!! LMAO! You can not fix stupid!
> Everything I tried to tell her she had an answer. She did not cancel her appointment,
> but I really hope she does not come as I can not tolerate stupid!! LOL
I think they have been brain washed by these NSS places as to what disinfection by proper hospital grade products means. And a lot of times I hear them repeating that the Other salon says I don't know what I am talking about. I honestly think they block out the common sense part of thinking, so that they don't have to face the reality their salon is filthy and doesn't care.
But like my new client, she knew, and she doesn't care, she just hopes. That's disgusting. hahaha
That's just gross & stupid, look at the big picture, doctor bills arent cheap, I've been told by walk in who want cheap fast nails that 'those places' are very clean too, ugh, we had a client this summer who told us that when she went in to the nss salon to have her nails soaked off that she sat there while they finished up soaking another lady's nails off then took that same bowl & stuck her hands in it! You know how nasty that looks & if they had cuts or anything, and she used it! Clients think the nss salons are professional I guess so they do what they are told, so if you don't want your enhancements ripped off your nail with a plastic nail tip you get to use thick, unsanitized nasty used acetone!
CND Master
young nails
light elegance
Cindee, the same acetone bowl? Gross, melted nails in there. Dont clients think ever? Sheep. And I mean that as nice as possible.
I think that clients sometimes take it for granted and trust that anyone running a nail service business is running a PROFESSIONAL nail business. Were I not a nail tech I'd not know about proper sanitation and disinfection. If the box said "uv sterilizer" then I'd be likely to trust it as well. I feel bad for clients because they SHOULD be able to trust that their nail professional is taking proper precautions and operating with professional integrity. Sadly, this is not so.
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
I think that the trust that clients exhibit are actually something that Americans have come to expect. Here in America, we have truth in advertising laws. For some strange reason, the nail salons are overlooked in regards to this law. It's the absolute trust and gullibility and yes, sometimes complete stupidity of the client that allows this to happen. The countries that most NSS techs come from are not up to our standards and there, its definitely buyer beware. It's kinda like in the old days, you were expected to haggle for the best price, and were looked down on as stupid if you paid the price asked by the merchant. Now we pay it because times have changed, (can't haggle at WM.), but when dealing with people who still have this practice going on, you're dealing with a different mind set.

I can't help but wonder if the NSS salons doing this aren't laughing their butts off at the clients at how ignorant they are. They KNOW we don't do business like this, but they can and do get away with it. The NSS are making thousands of $$'s of lying about what they provide and just plain not spending the money to create a clean, safe work environment. For them, it's all about how much money can be saved by not changing out the water, using Windex instead of disenfectant, reusing files and buffers, etc. Confusedhock: :? :x
I worked at a nail bar that could definitely be considered NSS, but even I didn't realize this until after I started and got the "inside story", and I was really skeptical, and asked all the sanitation questions, but was given a load of fluff during my interview. They treated me like a client and told me what I wanted to hear. It was odd because they knew all the laws, and would have appeared to be the pinnacle of cleanliness! I didn't last there very long after I saw how clean it really was.

The salon was in an affluent area, and had all the appearances of a cute, modern salon/nail bar. They advertised their one-time use buffers,files, and the autoclave they used to "sterilize" the metal tools. I use that word loosely because the execution of this cleaning routine could not have truly sterilized anything properly. The owner had bought say 50 sets of nippers,nail clippers, and cuticle pushers.

After each service, the used tools would go into a plastic basket to be cleaned at the end of the day, or whenever our tool supply ran low. The owner would then dump the baskets of tools into a giant tub, run some water over them, maybe put some soap in there, then toss all the tools into the autoclave in a pile, trying to fit all of them in the little basket. Instead of bagging the tools before putting them in the autoclave, so they'd be steam sealed, he would have us put on gloves and go through a big show of bagging the "cleaned" tools when they were done. It was ridiculous, because we would have to sit there with towels and wipe off any leftover nail clippings, cuticle gunk, ect. off of these "clean, sterilized" tools. It was gross, but to the clients it was "as clean as a hospital" as one of them described it.

I actually heard a client asking the owner what he thought about her sister coming in for a service who has diabetes who is at high risk, the owner assured her with the autoclave, it would be no problem at all. The client then said, well you are in "affluent city", so I'm sure your laws are much more strict here than some other cities, so it must be really clean here.." The owner then fully agreed with her, knowing full-well that laws are state-wide, not by city!

So it's definitely a combination of both client and shop. Clients want to trust, and really don't know what to look for, especially with a salon like this, that easily looks like a really clean place, but upon closer inspection, isn't.
~Cat~
Cindee, the same acetone bowl? Gross, melted nails in there. Dont clients think ever? Sheep. And I mean that as nice as possible.

Ewww I know! I mean, that would just be common sense!!
CND Master
young nails
light elegance
We used to have health classes in school... I guess they don't do that anymore. The total ignorance about bacterial infection is appalling....

I worked twenty years in medical back office before doing nails....
it just scares the heck out of me to hear people say such dumb things... and mean it. Have worked near people doing really dirty nail work, clients blissfully reading magazine... like, did you not notice she just used that file on her last clients feet? The one she is now using on your fingers?

life is an intelligence test isn't it?