You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it take to build up a clientele....
I know everyone's experience is different and of course there are lots of variable to be considered. However, I'm really curious to know how long did it take my fellow manicurists/salon owners to build up a clientele.

What number is considered a clientele...10, 15, 20...I look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest Regards,

Michaune
Michaune
When I started doing nails it took me about 6 months to get a steady clientele. But I promoted myself, offered referral rewards & put many hours in being availabe waiting for clients. I offered free polishes/manis to salon patrons to become more familiar to them & eventually they started booking with me.

The main thing is to offer superior services, your workmanship should set you apart from other nail techs. Be a perfectionist & perfect your technique. Become your biggest critique and take the time to practice anything you have not perfected.
Gina Silvestro
Akzentz Distributor/Educator
http://www.GelEssentialz.com
Akzentz Online Store
Took me about 6-9 months also.. I went a slightly different route doing craft fairs - doing simple nail art and booking appointments. As the appointment book started to fill up, I moved to a referall program and stopped that when I was working as many hours as I was comfortable with. And thats the answer to the how do you know when qyestion Smile when you have to tell people I'll put you on a waiting list!

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Great to yea from veteran techs but wonder if the 6-9 mos would work in this day and time?
Anna
I started 11 years ago and it honestly took over 3 yrs and a couple different salons to gain about 45 steady clients. Then I moved a couple years ago and had to start all over. Im really struggling again with a town of so many non english speaking shops. I just moved into a regular busy salon instead of a high end spa and hoping I will get regulars instead of depending on non returning gift cert. clients.
In todays world, maybe 9-12 months but yes I feel it could be done. Marketing, smart shopping, clever promotions, winning personality and decent nails.. it can be done..

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

It took me about 6 months, and 6 months after that I had a waiting list. I started on my own in December 2010. I was really, really lucky and spent a lot of time sitting there in the beginning to be available for walk-ins.
(10-09-2012, 06:39 PM)TrinaLuna Wrote: It took me about 6 months, and 6 months after that I had a waiting list. I started on my own in December 2010. I was really, really lucky and spent a lot of time sitting there in the beginning to be available for walk-ins.

Lucky? How so?
Anna
I've been in the same area for 2 1/2 years - 1 1/2 years since I opened my own shop. While I am busy and don't have a ton of openings most weeks, I don't consider myself "full" or to have built my clientele. To me, having my clientele built means when my books are entirely full of my "ideal" clients - ie people who do at least two of three things: 1) have standing appointments, 2) book more than one type of service and 3) routinely purchase retail. When I count my "clients", I only count the ones who do two of those. I would say I am maybe 70% to goal at this point, although my calendar thinks otherwise. Smile

As to how many it takes, that will vary by your speed, type of service done, how frequently clients come in, and how many service hours a week you want to work. I think about 70 clients, 40% getting two services, would be a full book for me. That would be

(35) 2 wk clients= 75 services/mo
40% get 2nd service = (14) clients @ 6 wks = 10 services/mo
(35) 3 wk clients = 50 services/mo
40% get 2nd service = (14) clients @ 6 wks = 10 services/mo

=145 services/mo

To me, this is the right number since I work alone and have a significant amount of retail to deal with on top of my other salon/business management duties. Plus, I don't rush, book too tight or try to cram people in. I've spoken with other techs who do as many services in 2 days as I want to do in a week - but the trade-off is working 12 hour days with no breathing room. Smile And maybe an assistant...
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
So much also depends on your personality type. I've known a lot of techs who did it in 6 months to a year, but they hustled! They were very pro-active about promoting their services.

It also helps if you have a built-in base clientelle; sisters, sister-in-laws, friends, co-workers from another job, etc.

It took me 2 years and I often recommend giving it 2 years before a newbie throws in the towel.

I had none of those ready-made clients to build on (except Mom, who may have done more harm than good, in that over enthusiastic way that moms do,) and I was pretty timid about self-promotion: caught in that catch-22 where I needed to build a clientelle in order to build my skills, but felt I didn't deserve to be charging for below-par services.

I tend to consider "a clientelle" to consist of enough reliable clients to make your income goals. You may want to think of your clientelle in terms of what percentage of your book is filled with returning clients, because really, you could have one or two loyal clients that would constitute a "clientelle--" it would just be a very small clientelle. So you need to figure out how many clients it takes to fill your book and from there you can figure if you have a "full" clientelle, "half" clientelle, "partial" clientelle, "small" clientelle, etc... that part is all relative.
Maggie Franklin: Art of Nailz, Visalia CA
http://blogs.nailsmag.com/maggie
http://www.artofnailz.biz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5
Views: 6,242
06-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Last PostBeckie21078