You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to pay a nail tech
I recently opened a salon. I am a hair stylist of 11 years and am in the process of hiring a nail tech. She is coming to me a partial clientele. I am not sure how to pay her. She will be commission based. She is use to getting hourly and commision, whichever is higher. Any suggestion/advice???
doesn't what tittle you give her, it should be a partnership between you two.
she need to take ownership to that table as she own the salon. You don't decide how much she get pay, the client do.
it's up to you two to make out a salary/commission rate that both can work with. on your part you take care of means to work with and she do her part to make the the business that come through her tables grow by making all clients are returning clients and referring new one......... when her book is 80% to %100 full then she get a raise just remember to put in your part of the share profits on the raise to updating equipment, remodeling, and in some case updating education....... just remember it is a partnership that take a life long commitment on both party to have a long happy relationship.

one thing tho if thing don't work out you may end up losing a client also.
J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
When i worked in salons i never was paid less than 50%. With 26 years experience i do request 60%. I always have my own implements and the salon supplied the rest.
Whenever you move to a new salon you usually lose a few clients on the way. See how busy she is. You can start off 50/50 and if she gets real busy after 3 or 6 months bump up the commission. You can always give more but cannot decrease.
Good luck
It really kind of depends on where you live too. Where I live 30-40% is average.That usually includes paid time off and insurance benefits too.
You really need to know what your salon costs are before you will know what you can afford to pay. I'm not talking about making a huge profit - but if you don't know what your overhead and service costs are, as well as the costs to have someone working there, you could easily end up paying part of her costs out of your OWN service profits!

This is from a post I made on a previous thread about structuring pay:

You really need to look at your total financial picture to be able to evaluate what fair pay is. Knowing your monthly overhead, service costs, wear and tear on equipment, etc. is very important. From there you will be able to evaluate what your costs per service are when paying someone.

When I set up my pay structure (hourly plus commission), I put it in a spreadsheet so I could see the numbers. I will tell you up front, if you put together a pay scale where the second person is actually making more money than you as the salon owner, they will still think they can make more without you, because they don't know what it costs to run a shop. That's my experience anyway.

You would need to know your own averages, based on your service prices, but just to give you an idea, here's what my scale looks like...

Costs on services (not including overhead) run at about 22% of the service price:
-7% to supplies
-5% to equipment & tool replacement
-4% to advertising (this will be too low probably)
-4% to the client loyalty program
-2% to credit card fees

Employer taxes on services:
-7.65% matching soc. sec.
-6% unemployment/workman's comp
-(In WA the business also pays 1.8% of GROSS income to the state)

So, let's say you decide to pay out 60% to the other tech - you would actually be paying out 95.65% total -
60% tech
22% costs
13.65% taxes
and only getting 4.35% for the salon - which is NOT profit, because that didn't take into account the overhead that you pay.

Be generous, pay them what they're worth - but make sure that you are not paying them out of YOUR earnings from YOUR services!

I worked with a business coach last Spring when I was hoping to hire an employee - so I have a detailed employee manual (I highly recommend that!) and she gave me the bones of a com. structure, although I bumped the numbers higher. The basic component listed below is a necessary piece of the puzzle - it's the piece that ensures all the costs of running the salon are covered:

For an hourly wage plus commission schedule - the hourly wage (9.04/hr here in WA) is paid for all hours worked, and commission is paid based on service volume. Service volume must be double the hourly wage paid, then the commission is paid on every dollar over that. So, if someone works 40 hours a week their wage is $361.60 - so they get that, plus com. on every service dollar starting at $723.20. The com. schedule then is graduated based on volume - the exact amounts and percentage really need to be determined based on your overhead and your service pricing. [Those numbers may seem high, but keep in mind my service pricing goes from 25-84, someone doing only 30 services a week will on average have a service volume of around $1,300 without breaking a sweat.]

I believe that when I had my tipping schedule, it ranged from 25-52% com. paid on top of the hourly rate -and the no-tipping schedule got bumped up to 35%-58%, which put more money in their pocket than the lower schedule with tipping. Either way, the graduated scale on top of the hourly rate set-up basically pays a small amount to the salon for overhead, and after a certain point the bulk of additional profit goes to the tech.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I truly believe that every salon should have a graduated scale. fix cost like rent, phone internet..... should be take care first then we can move to a higher profits sharing scale of commission.
J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
CandiceAE! This was worth a copy and paste!
Great!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 26
Views: 28,680
11-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Last PostDannieLynne