You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OPI Gelcolor feedback
12-03-2011, 01:06 AM
 (Print Post)
OPI Gelcolor feedback
Ok. here it goes. I've been using it for almost a month and my clients hate it. It isn't holding up as well as shellac and it discolors when using a light shade. My one fiel noemally goes 3 weeks w shellac and she only got 6
days and it started to peel and chip. This is what I'm finding with most of them that I used it on.
So I'm kinda discouraged at this point. I really wish that my boss wld of trusted my professional opinion ans went wirh gelish and not listened to he'd rep. who was only trying to make a sale. Now I don't even want to run specials with it for fear of losing potential clients. Urgh!!!

" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~
Full Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2011, 03:42 AM
 (Print Post)
Re: OPI Gelcolor feedback
Try mixing lines. Use the base/top coats from a line that you've had good results. Then wait to see if the problem persists. If it does, then analyze the chip. Is it "flaking" off? If so, then which layer? Try to pinpoint where the problem lies and you'll better rectify the situation.

I find an extra layer of top coat alleviates many of the chipping issues.

As far as discoloration goes, there's not much you can do about it. The lavender Gelish color turns gray after a few days. Cacée's light colors also change.
12-03-2011, 07:13 AM
 (Print Post)

I'm so sorry to hear that and very nervous because we just got it yesterday. It's funny though because my clients don't really like Gelish, they have better luck with Shellac. However I always use the Shellac BASE coat because removal is easier even with the Gelish. BUT I always use the Gelish TOP coat because I think it has a better shine than the Shellac top coat. My client with acrylics hates the Gelish, she said it never holds up as well as the Shellac. I never use a base coat with acrylics but maybe with Gelish I should try the base and see if that holds up better? I so badly want the OPI to work out, we just need to hang in there and figure things out I guess. If only Shellac would come out with more colors, I wouldn't need a second line. Kelly*
12-03-2011, 09:15 AM
 (Print Post)

Wow Tracy, that kind of sucks doesn't it :cry: I found the same thing with the lighter Axxium colours. They also faded. I wouldn't be using it on my clients either, if they don't like it. Hopefully you can convince your boss that he needs to rethink the choice, and soon !!

Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2011, 09:59 AM
 (Print Post)
OPI Gel Polish
I have been wanting to purchase the OPI gel polish, but, I have not seen any amazing reviews from it yet. I have all of the gelish colors, and love them all..... so I am not sure why I want to invest a ton of $$ into something that people are struggling to love.

Tracy, did they get you the entire kit? Are you using OPI's prep steps, AND light, or are they having you mix lines? Sometimes mixing products is good (I do it all the time like the other girls suggested), but, I also know, that sometimes you do get better results when you have all the right products.

I think a good example of actually following "instructions", is with gelish. The instructions say to use their PH balance... well, I figured, using Swipe (from young nails) was good enough. I would say I had "good" results, but, now perfect. And then I decided to get the PH step from gelish, and WOW what a difference! Now I would say PERFECT results! It made a huge difference...

Dedee
12-04-2011, 01:03 PM
 (Print Post)

I am also a little bummed just because OPI has been asked for by clients who know its coming. I love some of the colors and I am going to buy 2, my private jet and a sheer one.
I think for new colors though, colors that you don't see in any other line, I will be looking at Artistic colour gloss. I looove those brown taupe's and java's. And my Polish Pro. It has been reformulated since the release and its really awesome stuff. The colors are great too.
I will also wait for Colleen to update on her OPI experience after the few weeks goes by.
12-05-2011, 01:37 AM
 (Print Post)

hey guys. I wanted to add to my previous comments. First thimg is we did get the entire system including the light. So currently I am not mixing the lines. It is really a bear to get off tho. I've been following the other threads on the OPI line and someone else commented how thin it is and how she gets pooling by the cuticle area too.
My clients on saturday had mixed feelings about it. it was prob about half n half. The ones who liked it-- really liked it and the ones who hated it--- really hated it.
All I can say at this point is if I has to buy my own products I wldnt get it.
it just burns me that ive been begging my boss to just get a cew colorz of gelsh and then the rep can talk her into dropping $600 for the entire kit!!!
Get a.cpl colors and zee what u think. Dark and light ones to really see the differen e. and I'm not trying to bash any line-- only giving my personal feedback!!!

Angel
~Tracy~
Full Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
12-05-2011, 05:21 PM
 (Print Post)
Hi, I am a guest artist with OPI. It would appear to me you have not been to any training for this product, because it is truly better than Shellac because the OPI product is 100% Gel Color, not a hybrid that combines polish with some gel.
You MUST apply this product Thin
You MUST cap the free edges
You CANNOT mix and match other vendors top/base coat
You MUST prep the nails with proper product (preferably non-oily cuticle remover)
You must use either NAS99 or 99% Alcohol.
I suggest you go to OPI.com or use your DVD to go over proper steps.
Before you bad mouth the product, it would be good if you stated if you are switching products and not using the recommended OPI products.
This is the NUMBER ONE problem nail techs have and they are not truthful about what they are using on the client. The PRODUCT is fabulous!! I have tested and used it for a year and it is the only product I wear... Thank you...

> Ok. here it goes. I've been using it for almost a month and my clients hate
> it. It isn't holding up as well as shellac and it discolors when using a light
> shade. My one fiel noemally goes 3 weeks w shellac and she only got 6
> days and it started to peel and chip. This is what I'm finding with most of
> them that I used it on.
> So I'm kinda discouraged at this point. I really wish that my boss wld of trusted
> my professional opinion ans went wirh gelish and not listened to he'd rep.
> who was only trying to make a sale. Now I don't even want to run specials with
> it for fear of losing potential clients. Urgh!!!
12-05-2011, 05:25 PM
 (Print Post)

Hello, as an OPI Guest Artist we strongly recommend that you do not MIX lines. The minute you do this, you have compromised the product. In other words OPI cannot GUARANTEE that the product will work.
Nail techs are always complaining that products don't work, but they seem to forget no distributor recommends mixing products!!! Products are made to be used with the specific ingredients that they develop!!!
cS :

> Try mixing lines. Use the base/top coats from a line that you've had good
> results. Then wait to see if the problem persists. If it does, then analyze
> the chip. Is it "flaking" off? If so, then which layer? Try to pinpoint
> where the problem lies and you'll better rectify the situation.
>
> I find an extra layer of top coat alleviates many of the chipping issues.
>
> As far as discoloration goes, there's not much you can do about it. The lavender
> Gelish color turns gray after a few days. Cacée's light colors also change.
>
12-05-2011, 05:37 PM
 (Print Post)
OPI GELColor HATERS
As a Guest Artist/Educator for OPI, I would like to make the following comments:
Have you either gone to a:
DEMO
Training Class
Studied the DVD that is provided with the product...
Are you polishing the product on thin
    Are you Shaking the bottle for at least a minute (pigments settle at the bottom of the gel)
    You must shake top/base coats as well
    Are you using 99% Alcohol or NAS 99
    Are you Capping the free edges
    Are you prepping the nails properly
    Are you using a gel based cuticle remover or are your using creamy remover (which is not recommended because residue can be left behind)
    You may need to cure the darker colors for 45 seconds in the LED light especially if you put the product on thicker...
If not, you should do one of the 3 before bashing the product,

Training Classes/Demo Days will be starting in January 2012, please sign up to learn from the PROFESSIONALS who work with the product daily and have been using the product for over a year.

For those of you that think you are chemist and know more than the developers of the product... you don't!!! Stop trying to conjure up your own potions to make the product work. It is designed to work using ingredients that are NOT in other manufacuturers products.
We cannot guarantee that GelColor will not chip/lift/etc. because you are using other vendors products.

YOU ARE NOT THE EXPERTS on how products work, the vendor is!!! Stop bastardizing the products by making your own concoctions!!!
12-05-2011, 05:57 PM
 (Print Post)

Ok. I wanted to respond to the last set of comments made to clear things up. if you wld of read my posts u wld clearly see that we are using the complte OPI line. There is no mixing of products. and as I statd before --- I am NOT " bad mouthing" anytg. I. clearly said it was only my little opinion about my experience with the product and that's it. This is what this board is for--- to learn,discuss and talk about our experiences with products and being in this industry in general. and theI know that new products take time to really understand how to manipulate them properly. Just in the time I have personally used it thiz is the feedback I am getting. It is much mu h thinner and harder to "cap" the free edge with this as opposed to Shellac. So my question to you is....where were you when I was pleading for help when I posted those topics for topcoat trouble?? I didnt even get so much as a call baxk from OPI or the rep that sold it to us. That's great customer service I tell ya!!!
I know that u r only trying to defend the company you work for and I respect that. But pleaze don't attack us for simply wanting to share our opinions with everyone. You don't see Doug Schoo. jumping all over ppl who dislike shellac--- and there are many here who have made that clear. We all are on the same side and only striving for one common goal--- to do the very best job that we can do for our clients!!! Wink take care ya' ll

Angel
~Tracy~
Full Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
 (Print Post)

@tattinger: The problem with posts like yours where we just get a bunch of yelling from a supposed professional representing a line is that I personally cannot take you seriously. With that said. No one here having the issues said anything about line mixing. It does help to read first so you can actually trouble shoot. It doesn't look like your interested in helping though. It looks like your interested in assuming the techs here are incompetent. That's tough for me to swallow. I don't use the OPI and I can guarantee you with the way you, a Guest artist/ rep, comes across and yells like and makes assumptions about training or lack of that I WILL NOT be Buying it. No chance. I would hate to have a complaint like oh lets say the product is to damned thin so applying it any thinner would make it non existent, and then have you come shaking your fingers at me that I obviously lack the skill to apply OPI gel color. Most of us have been using SOGP including brands that are JUST gel with pigment in them for well over a year, its not rocket science, as far as application techniques. So hello IBD Just Gel and my New Polish Pro colors. Thankfully I don't get offended to often on here, on behalf of other people.

Oh and PS tattinger
Quote:tattinger:As a Guest Artist/Educator for OPI, I would like to make the following comments: Have you either gone to a: DEMO Training Class

Training Classes/Demo Days will be starting in January 2012, please sign up to learn from the PROFESSIONALS
HOW does anyone get asked if they have been trained on a product that just came out and the classes as you said Yourself HAVENT even happened? Interesting how that works. I guess if you need such serious training on how to polish a nail with a product very similar to those we use daily, then OPI should have held off and said, NO sales unless you learn how to use it. LOL
12-05-2011, 09:42 PM
 (Print Post)

Smile Smile Smile

Angel
~Tracy~
Full Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
12-05-2011, 09:56 PM
 (Print Post)

Tracy - do you still think you got a bad batch? I'm just having no issues with it. I feel bad that it's not working for you.
12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
 (Print Post)

tattinger,
HI AS A NAIL TECH WHO IS STILL NEW TO THE INDUSTRY BUT CERTAINLY NOT BORN YESTERDAY, DUE TO YOUR CONDESCENDING REMARKS I WONDER:
Have you had proper training in customer service?
Are you new as a GUEST ARTIST with OPI?
I strongly suggest you rethink your tone when addressing those who could, would and can spend hard earned CA$H to go to your DEMOS/EDUCATION.

Do you realize the impact you have made on this forum, customers, colleagues and OPI?!

Points can be made without scolding.

Anna
12-05-2011, 11:40 PM
 (Print Post)
Re: OPI GELColor HATERS
Wow, tattinger, way to talk to customers! I must confess, your finger-shaking condescension really has me rethinking getting OPI Gel Colors. Perhaps you ought to have taken a look at the way other industry/product reps present on these types of forums.

And by the way, the no mixing thing does not apply to all lines. I understand that it applies to OPI, but not every line requires the same level of conformity. Professionals are expected to apply their training, education and experience to customize and optimize the service for each client. I understand if you feel that some adjustments go too far, but simply state the limits of OPI's adjustments and don't talk to these professionals like bad children.

tattinger :
> As a Guest Artist/Educator for OPI, I would like to make the following
> comments:
> Have you either gone to a:
> DEMO
> Training Class
> Studied the DVD that is provided with the product...
> Are you polishing the product on thin
>
    Are you Shaking the bottle for at least a minute (pigments settle at
    > the bottom of the gel)
    > You must shake top/base coats as well
    > Are you using 99% Alcohol or NAS 99
    > Are you Capping the free edges
    > Are you prepping the nails properly
    > Are you using a gel based cuticle remover or are your using creamy remover
    > (which is not recommended because residue can be left behind)
    > You may need to cure the darker colors for 45 seconds in the LED light especially
    > if you put the product on thicker...
> If not, you should do one of the 3 before bashing the product,
>
> Training Classes/Demo Days will be starting in January 2012, please sign up
> to learn from the PROFESSIONALS who work with the product daily and have been
> using the product for over a year.
>
> For those of you that think you are chemist and know more than the developers
> of the product... you don't!!! Stop trying to conjure up your own potions to
> make the product work. It is designed to work using ingredients that are NOT
> in other manufacuturers products.
> We cannot guarantee that GelColor will not chip/lift/etc. because you are using
> other vendors products.
>
> YOU ARE NOT THE EXPERTS on how products work, the vendor is!!! Stop bastardizing
> the products by making your own concoctions!!!
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM
 (Print Post)

Quote:sobeit :

> I think for new colors though, colors that you don't see in any other line,
> I will be looking at Artistic colour gloss. I looove those brown taupe's and
> java's. And my Polish Pro. It has been reformulated since the release and its
> really awesome stuff. The colors are great too.
>

I absolutely love ACG. The texture of the polish is excellent and allows for a very thin, natural looking application. The colours are lovely, very neutral and upscale. Even their more blingy colours look quite elegant. Java-Java and Mocha-Chinoare lovely brown and Soo In and Vogue are subtle, but trendy purples. I think you'll really like ACG and I'd like to hear how you think it compares to Polish Pro - you've really piqued my interest in that brand.
12-05-2011, 11:54 PM
 (Print Post)

Quote:NancySyd :
>
Quote:sobeit :
>
>> I think for new colors though, colors that you don't see in any other line,
>> I will be looking at Artistic colour gloss. I looove those brown taupe's and
>> java's. And my Polish Pro. It has been reformulated since the release and its
>> really awesome stuff. The colors are great too.
>>
>
> I absolutely love ACG. The texture of the polish is excellent and allows for
> a very thin, natural looking application. The colours are lovely, very neutral
> and upscale. Even their more blingy colours look quite elegant. Java-Java and
> Mocha-Chinoare lovely brown and Soo In and Vogue are subtle, but trendy purples.
> I think you'll really like ACG and I'd like to hear how you think it compares
> to Polish Pro - you've really piqued my interest in that brand.
Did you see Colleens review of the new ibd Just Gel? I want to try that as well. Polish pro is awesome and their customer service is impeccable. They have samples. Go to NSI contact them ask for the new formula. I know they are releasing their own gel + pigment called gel pro soon. I really want that as well. Thank you for the artistic colour gloss info. I am way in love with browns. I just need more money. Not as much now that I refuse to get OPI after this. It's such a turn off.
12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
 (Print Post)

sobeit :
>
Quote:NancySyd :
>> [quote]sobeit :
> Did you see Colleens review of the new ibd Just Gel? I want to try that as
> well. Polish pro is awesome and their customer service is impeccable. They
> have samples. Go to NSI contact them ask for the new formula. I know they are
> releasing their own gel + pigment called gel pro soon. I really want that as
> well. Thank you for the artistic colour gloss info. I am way in love with browns.
> I just need more money. Not as much now that I refuse to get OPI after this.
> It's such a turn off.

I guess I'm still a bit turned off by my experience with IBD Gelac; six of my seven bottles dried up and I got no answer from the company. So I'm not eager to try Just Gel. And I am so turned off by the comments of the OPI rep here; I hope this is an aberration and that she does not represent the views and tone of OPI.

I have realized that good customer service really makes a difference to me in choosing between a lot of vendors. I generally don't venture back to a company with which I've had a less than positive experience or whose tone is off-putting. There are so many really excellent SOGP products out there, I don't have to settle for less than great customer service.

I saw the ad for NSI Gel Pro, but I don't understand the distinction from Polish Pro and their different usage.
12-06-2011, 10:29 AM
 (Print Post)
wow Really
OK i had to say something. I have been lurking on this post trying to decide if i wanted to try the OPI SOG but after their own OPI reps yelled at you ladies for talking to each other about the product Im DONE!!! I will not spend a dime on the "NEW" OPI. I thought this tread was great tech talking to techs about pros and cons of a product not a teacher talking down to students. We are all grown ups and can talk about anything we want to without someone saying "Quit bad mouthing the product line". I may even post this as why I use Shellac and Gelish as my fav sog's. And im waiting for my thanksgiving ECO to come in also. So WHATEVER LOL!!!!

Mitchele Sheree Hunt
CND Master Painter
http://mitchelesheree.blogspot.com/
12-06-2011, 10:33 AM
 (Print Post)

"YOU ARE NOT THE EXPERTS on how products work, the vendor is!!! Stop bastardizing the products by making your own concoctions!!! "

This is what she said really i just saw the cuss word in an OPI reps post. If you wouldnt say it to a client dont say it at all. I think you need some people skills training along with your product training

Mitchele Sheree Hunt
CND Master Painter
http://mitchelesheree.blogspot.com/
12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
 (Print Post)

Getting ready to throw all the OPI literature I was sent in the trash. I was thinking about trying but now- That very hot place down below would have to freeze over. I have tried Gelish and love it; also the Gella sample I received. I am interested in this new IBD....I guess that is next on my list.
Look out trash can!
Now I remember why I took all OPI out of my salon a long time ago. Well, I did keep my Pusher Plus........

Always be kind....you get farther.
12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
 (Print Post)
@tattinger
Something seems not quite right here. I don't think "tattinger" is a guest artist/educator or represents OPI at all.

I do wonder what he/she expects to gain by being such a bully.
12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
 (Print Post)
Re: OPI GELColor HATERS
Wow. Just..... wow.

I am a long-time lurker and have never registered and posted before, but this makes me VERY angry and I just had to comment. I can say that if I was in charge of who was representing OPI, this person would no longer have a job!

However, I somehow doubt this person really does work for OPI, as I cannot see anyone who is trained an educator talking to clients like that. Actually, I can't see anyone with any professional skills at all talking to anyone like that!

There are a lot of gel polish products out there - there's no reason everyone needs to like OPI. For example, I prefer Gelish, never had as much luck with Shellac myself, but I have experimented with a wide variety of brands. I don't see why anyone has to get their panties all in a bunch just because some people don't seem to be liking the new OPI product.

I've not tried the OPI Gelcolor yet. This makes me unsure if I ever even want to try it! I definitely do not if OPI truly does have people like this representing them.

tattinger :
> ....For those of you that think you are chemist and know more than the developers
> of the product... you don't!!! Stop trying to conjure up your own potions to
> make the product work. It is designed to work using ingredients that are NOT
> in other manufacuturers products.
> We cannot guarantee that GelColor will not chip/lift/etc. because you are using
> other vendors products.
>
> YOU ARE NOT THE EXPERTS on how products work, the vendor is!!! Stop bastardizing
> the products by making your own concoctions!!![/size]
12-06-2011, 08:35 PM
 (Print Post)
Re: wow Really
Quote:MitcheleSheree :
I may even post this as why I use Shellac
and Gelish as my fav sog's. And im waiting for my thanksgiving ECO to come in also.
I think your going to really like Eco. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  5 Common Workplace Hassles - Nailpro wants your feedback... beautywriter 0 2,049 09-15-2014 11:02 AM
Last Post: beautywriter
  Alternative work space.. I'd love to hear your feedback! zilchic 6 2,089 03-09-2013 08:34 PM
Last Post: its an art
  OPI Gelcolor Malea 6 1,509 02-09-2013 06:31 PM
Last Post: stuka123
  Shellac & OPI Gelcolor BJewell 5 6,707 01-10-2013 10:08 PM
Last Post: Mrsbon
Heart O.P.I Gelcolor is amazing! sobeit 28 10,243 12-17-2012 03:52 PM
Last Post: Donna in Huntsville, TX.
  Feedback~Info On "Gel It" by EZ Flow apolishedlook 0 984 11-19-2012 09:57 PM
Last Post: apolishedlook
  Any Gelprisa feedback? suestation 6 2,208 10-24-2012 01:46 PM
Last Post: Onykophile
  OPI Gelcolor Advice Please ttmil 3 883 10-24-2012 08:17 AM