You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone tried the newer sog that say they don't dry out nails?
I have noticed in the nails magazine that some companies are claiming that there soak off gels do not dry out nails. Has anyone tried any newer products that they have seen advertised and would you recommend?
I know that there are other people on here that sell products and i certainly am not looking to hurt feelings.

Thanks!!!!
my .02 on it is this: the sog's aren't what's drying out the nails, it's the removal process. If you're soaking off with acetone, it has a drying effect. To stop that, put a dropper full of oil in the acetone. It won't turn the client's skin white and it's not so drying on the nails and no, it doesn't make the gel lift off. I've been doing it this way for the last 3 months and I've not had ONE person come back with the sog peeling off.
I'm with Donna on this one. It's not the SOGP per se, that does the damage, it's mostly the removal. Soaking in acetone vs. using wraps/cotton-foil is one culprit. Acetone, while a safe and effective solvent, is a powerful defatter and when exposed to both sides of the nail can really dry them out. You can add a bit of glycerine to the acetone to help avoid dryness. Try using the remover for your SOGP system. I use OPI and so I use OPI Expert Touch for removals and I don't have any of the problems associated with dryness from acetone.

Finally, all the care during the manicure won't make up for a client's failure to moisturize in between manis. While SOGP do make things easy, many people think that 2-3 week SOGP manis mean they don't have to do anything in terms of maintenance. Solar Oil and other cuticle oils are necessary aftercare.
(09-23-2012, 07:48 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: my .02 on it is this: the sog's aren't what's drying out the nails, it's the removal process. If you're soaking off with acetone, it has a drying effect. To stop that, put a dropper full of oil in the acetone. It won't turn the client's skin white and it's not so drying on the nails and no, it doesn't make the gel lift off. I've been doing it this way for the last 3 months and I've not had ONE person come back with the sog peeling off.

What type of oil are you using?
Would olive oil be okay?
Any type of natural oil will work, so I think olive oil would work. Right now, I'm using Nutrogena lite sesame seed oil. I've also poured a bit of scented oil in with it and it's what I use on the client's hands after doing a nail service on them. It's a bubble bottle with a glass dropper. I use a Quicksoak Bowl to soak off, with oil in the acetone, the clients' fingers won't turn white and their nails don't dry out.
Yea, I was wondering about the Dashing Diva product that they say you can just peel off. Won't that take a layer of nail with it? Seems a little hokey to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 3,003
04-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Last Postkasik