You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a Basic Gel for Overlays and Occasional Short Sculpt Repair
Hello,
There are so many gels out there I'm getting confused. The more I read and research, the more confused I get. I am currently using OPI Gelcolor, Gelish and Shellac. I have also used the Gelish Structure. That's the extent of my experience with gels. I currently use Backscratchers Extreme and I'd really like to start adding a basic gel overlay for clients that need extra strength instead of using the Extreme. I've read about TEN nails, Akzents, Gelousy one step nails, Masterworks and Nailite. I may also need to do a repair and sculpt a small free edge with it. Basically a good starter gel that's easy to use and understand with sculpting options. Once I get the hang of it I can start trying different brands.
Also I'm confused about the Gelousy one step that's applied with a squeeze bottle? I never heard of applying with a squeeze bottle.

Thank you for any input you can give me Smile Kelly*
I'd say go with Nailite because they have a wide variety and they've got the cheapest prices. They'll also send samples for you to try.

Applying gel with a bottle is easy once you get used to it. I've seen it applied with the bottle and no brush needed to smooth it out but that DOES require practice. He has videos to show how it's done.
Hello
Do you use an LED or 36 watt lamp?
I tried the gentle soak off (CLEAR) gel from nailite. I use it with an LED and it works well. I assumed that since the clear worked so well that i ordered the pink. It seems that only clear will work with the LED. She told me that due to the pigments it would not cure under an LED.
So, if you want only clear you can use whatever type lamp.
They are very affordable and have nice customer service.
Good luck
I have also used Nailite gentle gel for repairs and thin overlays..it works great but it also breaks down in acetone. I really like Light elegance. They have diff color building gels from pink to clear to white...i have to say tht its my favorite. They have great customer service and the products have never let me down. They also have a one-step gel..but its not as thick as the builders..but its not runny either....hthSmile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
I have a UV light and an LED light,
so I will definitely give both a try.
Thank You, Kelly*
Gelousy 1-Step is applied from a nail polish bottle. It is a gel that is between a hard gel and a gel polish. It adds strength and structure, but you can't sculpt with it. You can soak it off, but you don't have to because you can fill it.

We also have hard gels that can be applied either from a jar with a brush or a squeeze bottle using it like a pen or pencil to draw the nail on a form, tip or for a fill.
Erick Westcott, CEO
Gelousy Gel Nail Systems
http://gelousy.com
Ive been using Akzentz for 9 years with no problems at all. In fact my job has never been easier because my clients nails hold up so well! Smile

I find it is the best gel for salon use (& Im not just saying this bc I sell it, I sell it bc I love it!)... Do your research though and find a gel line that works for you.
Gina Silvestro
Akzentz Distributor/Educator
http://www.GelEssentialz.com
Akzentz Online Store
Is there really a way to find out which gels are best, I am assuming you would just have to try them to find out which works best for you Smile is there something specific one should look for when trying to find the "right" gel line??
Yes, IMO the only way is through research and education. Thats how i found my gel, & it wasn't immediate success. I had problems in the beginning, it was an awful mess! but... i knew that ALL of nail techs I looked up to were using it successfully. It worked for them and I figured if I took the time and put the effort in it could work for me too Smile & it did!!!

Education, troubleshooting, product knowledge. My advise is never try to take the easy way out. To be successful takes time, dedication and effort.
Gina Silvestro
Akzentz Distributor/Educator
http://www.GelEssentialz.com
Akzentz Online Store
I have to agree with Gina but I'm in the same boat, I've been using OPI & it's ok but I'm looking for something better. I've been wanting to try Akentz because I've heard great things about it but am so nervous about buying another system because we spend so much $$ . But I think I'm going to give it a try!!
Colie30
Philadelphia,PA
For education and help, either Akzentz or Young Nails can't be beat.
(09-16-2012, 10:37 AM)sillysoup Wrote: Hello
Do you use an LED or 36 watt lamp?
I tried the gentle soak off (CLEAR) gel from nailite. I use it with an LED and it works well. I assumed that since the clear worked so well that i ordered the pink. It seems that only clear will work with the LED. She told me that due to the pigments it would not cure under an LED.
So, if you want only clear you can use whatever type lamp.
They are very affordable and have nice customer service.
Good luck

Actually NONE of our Gels are formulated to cure in a LED lamp. All of our gels are UV cured only. The Gentle Gel Clear curing in an LED is not something we would recommend as you may not get a proper cure.
Mare Horak
National Director of Education
Nailite
[email protected]

http://www.nailiteinc.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,412