You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home based business not being taken seriously
I have a home based business and I have 2 particular clients that don't consider my business as a real business. Here's why. One client texts me she wants to come in for a pedicure/manicure and were texting back and forth. So she says I will be there after 3:15pm. I reply back I will see you Thursday 3:30-4:00?. she says yes that sounds great! Ok question mark means to answer the question can I expect you 3:30 to 4:00 or after that. Well I can get in an polish change or at least a quick eyebrow wax in 30 minutes. I bet they are thinking since your at home I can come at anytime no that doesn't work like that. Do any of you home based business owner have this problem? I asked her to narrow down the time to make sure that I am available for her when she gets to the salon.

I also have a home-based nail studio. As the business owner, you have every right to tell the client what times you have availalble, and let her pick the one that suits her. Don't leave it open-ended like that. Next time, say "I have an available appointment at 3:30, would you like that?".

If they don't take your business seriously, it's because of the message you are sending. Not personal, just business Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
@ scratchmyback-Oh no I am not taking it personal, as a matter of fact I read a lot of your post and you have a lot of insight. I was basically asking her 3:30 -4:00pm either/ or. obviously if you took it that way (a open ended question) most likely she did too. I will watch my wording next time especially thru text. (as a matter of fact my salon has online booking. set that up last night Smile I take my business very seriously, and yes while I think doing nails is fun and rewarding, but it's also my livelihood.
Wow! This is a hot topic for this week. This is the third time people in our industry have said something to me regarding being taken seriously. Two of them were hairdresser though. For me it's a matter of training our clients, and mutual respect for one another. I dont feel that you should expect time considerations from clients when in turn you are not offering punctuality. Not saying this is the case with you at all, yhowever, If you are not consistently firm on your appointment times it's natural for the client to feel the same.
Yep, if you are going to have a home based salon, ya have to set your times and stick to em. Can't let those ladies think they can just come bye any ole time. A business has times they are open for business, not just when a customer wants to come. Be Firm!!
(09-11-2012, 08:44 PM)its an art Wrote: I dont feel that you should expect time considerations from clients when in turn you are not offering punctuality. Not saying this is the case with you at all, yhowever, If you are not consistently firm on your appointment times it's natural for the client to feel the same.

This is such a good point and why I try to be very punctual. I worked with a hair stylist who actually said to me once that she didn't think it was that bad to run 20-30 minutes late for appointments in this industry... I was silently aghast.

Being a home based salon, I would think you would have to be a little over the top business-like with people at least at the very beginning to set the right tone. The time to be a little more lenient comes later when you know they have good habits and respect you, then you can ease up from time to time when life throws a curve ball. Then the client knows you are basing your leniency on their past good behavior and they really appreciate it.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(09-11-2012, 09:43 AM)Msn2nails Wrote: @ scratchmyback-Oh no I am not taking it personal, as a matter of fact I read a lot of your post and you have a lot of insight. I was basically asking her 3:30 -4:00pm either/ or. obviously if you took it that way (a open ended question) most likely she did too. I will watch my wording next time especially thru text. (as a matter of fact my salon has online booking. set that up last night Smile I take my business very seriously, and yes while I think doing nails is fun and rewarding, but it's also my livelihood.

Next time say 3:30 OR 4:00, not 3:30 - 4:00. To me that indicates she can show up any time between 3:30 and 4:00. I think you solved your problem here Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
and if she comes late, make her wait...that should solve the problem!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 2,932
06-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Last Postjluper7297
Replies: 2
Views: 2,064
03-10-2016, 08:55 PM