You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salon Owner - How do you protect yourself?
So, I have a question for the salon owners....

I am not sure how other states are, but in Colorado, a salon owner is responsible for making sure that all people who work in the salon follow all of the rules and regulations set forth by the State Board, that includes hourly employees, commission, and booth renters (independant contractors).

I am wondering what you do to ensure your people are, in fact, following the rules.

The reason for my question, is because about 10 years ago, one of the girls in the salon that I owned had a "beef" with someone who worked in the building our shop was in. The other woman filed a complaint with State Board, and of course they came for a friendly inspection... Here in Colorado, the first thing an inspector will do when the walk in, is take a sample of acrylic liquid from the first person they come to in the shop. Then they proceed to go station by station, drawer by drawer documenting what they find. Well, everything was pretty normal, except for the letter I received several weeks later telling me that my shop was guilty of using MMA! What? are you kidding me? We all bought CND liquid by the gallon and split it.. State board was wrong (I was convinced)... well after months of fighting with them, I eventually hired an independant lab to come in, and test everyone's liquid, and low and behold, there were 2 girls who were using that stuff... the lab was able to tell me the percentages of EMA and MMA they were using. They were mixing, and I had NO idea. Eventually, State Board took the MMA off my record, but I had to be on probation for a year because of someone elses stupidity!

When that happened, I swore I would never own a salon again, and let someone else jeopardize my career. But, I am thinking that is extreme, and there HAS to be a way to safe guard myself as an owner...

Thanks for any advice you have Smile
Dedee
I'm just stunned speechless. Uh... work alone.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Just curious. Did they know it was MMA or were they just buying cheap product to cut costs? Either way wrong yes.
Anna
Or... did the lady who left and complained spike some bottles before leaving?
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
They definitely knew what they were doing.... The woman who complained actually had never had her nails done in our shop, believe it or not! It was a personal issue they had with each other...
Dedee
Oh, I misunderstood, I thought she worked there and complained after leaving. Read. Slower. Smile
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
I have all booth renters sign a contract (just like my own space lease contract). In it is included a clause that states that any fines, fees, etc that the salon incurs due to their negligence or not following the rules will be charged back to them. Not that particular wording but I do not have it in front of me. My situation may be a little different than yours though because my salon everyone has their own "salon" inside of mine with each having their own business license and salon license and each room/area is labeled with a "Suite Number" for state inspection purposes. They also each have to carry their own insurance with my salon listed as additional insured.

On that note.....I also do not have any other nail techs working with me at this time....I do have a hair stylist and a massage therapist booth renting.
Melodie Hand
Clayton/Raleigh, NC
(09-02-2012, 06:44 AM)melhand Wrote: I have all booth renters sign a contract (just like my own space lease contract). In it is included a clause that states that any fines, fees, etc that the salon incurs due to their negligence or not following the rules will be charged back to them. Not that particular wording but I do not have it in front of me. My situation may be a little different than yours though because my salon everyone has their own "salon" inside of mine with each having their own business license and salon license and each room/area is labeled with a "Suite Number" for state inspection purposes. They also each have to carry their own insurance with my salon listed as additional insured.

On that note.....I also do not have any other nail techs working with me at this time....I do have a hair stylist and a massage therapist booth renting.

Do you have your renters in private rooms? If not, how do you label the area defining their "salon" ? I have thought about doing that... I have 2 private rooms and one nail station other than mine in the "common" area. Out of curiosity, have you checked with your state board to see if that really covers your bases, or are you assuming it does? I am pretty guilty of making those kinds of assumptions, which is why I ask Smile Also, do you have name for the entire salon, as well as each girl has her own "salon" name? Thanks for your input!
Dedee
Good topic!

I'm in a suite rental situation like Melodie is describing. I have all of my paperwork at my shop, but when I go in on Tuesday I'll look over my agreement and see what the wording is there. I feel like it may be as general as saying that we are required to follow State Board guidelines, but I'll check it out and share Smile.
(09-02-2012, 10:59 AM)TrinaLuna Wrote: Good topic!

I'm in a suite rental situation like Melodie is describing. I have all of my paperwork at my shop, but when I go in on Tuesday I'll look over my agreement and see what the wording is there. I feel like it may be as general as saying that we are required to follow State Board guidelines, but I'll check it out and share Smile.

I wonder if having the wording be that general will really protect the salon owner? It might, but I guess I would like it to be VERY specific. I am definitely in a cover all my bases kind of mode, ya know?
Dedee
I have a video tour of my salon on my website so you can see how it is set up. I have already had my state board inspection so no assumptions made here....we just had to give every station a "suite letter/number". The hair room is semi-private (opening in wall and no door - her choice), the additional nail station is in the common area side by side with mine, massage and easthetic room are both private rooms with doors. And we are adding a bra fitting room which will also be a private room. The massage room and bra fitting rooms are not even inspected by state board because of the suite situation and the fact that each suite is a separate business from the main salon. As far as labeling the rooms and areas...the state inspector just said to get some sticky letters (like what you put on a door or mailbox) and put it in the general area to make it visibly clear what each area is (Suite A, Suite B, etc).

As far as wording covering a salon owner....state board may at any time fine or mark off points from the salon owner due to what others in the salon may be doing. So it may not prevent a fine, etc. BUT, it does give the salon owner recourse to charge that fee to the offending booth renter. It also gives the salon owner the right to terminate a booth rental contract on grounds of breach of contract.
Melodie Hand
Clayton/Raleigh, NC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,510
02-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Last Post[email protected]
Replies: 7