You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clean misapplied polish during or after?
Hello All!! I'm still trying to find the best method for me (and my clients) so I'm just curious to know how you personally do the following things...

1) How do you get really close to the cuticle while also preventing the polish from bleeding onto the cuticles? (especially with dark colors like red and black)
2) Do you use a brush for polish clean up or an orangewood stick?
3) Do you clean up any misapplied polish right after you paint each nail (so that it doesn't have time to dry) or do you wait until you've finished both coats of all the nails?
4) If you clean up after each nail, do you find that this is really time consuming?

As far as I'm concerned, I push the polish to the cuticle to get it close but I'm human so sometimes I still end up too close and it bleeds onto the cuticle. I absolutely hate when that happens because it's a real pain to get off. I wait until after I apply the top coat to do any cleanup and I use a brush. I tried using an orangewood stick dipped in acetone but I sucked at that lol. I'm guessing that when you do it that way you should do it after each nail so that it doesn't dry but that seems like it would take up a lot of time. Any feedback would be appreciated! ;-)
I'm assuming you're talking about regular polish? I actually find it easier to clean up any "oops" nails after I've done both color coats. I use a slightly pointy fine tip art brush, dip in acetone, wipe off excess acetone, and gently swipe around any nails that need clean up. I find that when the polish has time to set a little the clean-up process doesn't move the polish that you actually want on the nail.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
The answer to your first question is "practice." Clean ups are generally pretty minimal for me now. I use an orange stick dipped in polish remover because that's what I've always done, and I clean it up as I go usually, but if I'm in a hurry I might wait and do it at the end instead.
After years of practice what works for me is while I'm holding their finger to gently pull back the skin at the cuticle so I can get the polish really close to the skin without touching it. Then move my fingers to pull down on the skin on both sides of the nail so I don't touch that either. Orangewood sticks never worked for me to clean up with, so I use a small brush with acetone to clean up any polish on the skin before I finish with top coat. If I'm using red or a dark color, I will usually clean up the polish as I go as it seems to be harder to remove if I wait until I'm done polishing all 10 nails. ]

The only thing I still struggle with is having a client laugh or move suddenly when I have the brush at the base of the nail. Every single time that happens the polish floods the cuticle. It's so frustrating! : )
Gah. I hate that too, Sherrie. I will usually just stop, remove the polish from the entire nail, and re-do it without a word. It doesn't always get them to hold still, but at least they are well aware that they messed me up at that point.
Thanks for the input so far from everyone! It's always interesting to hear the different techniques that are used. Since I am mobile, I usually don't get the opportunity to swap ideas with other tech's so I love this forum for that purpose!
(09-01-2012, 04:15 AM)crweixelman Wrote: Gah. I hate that too, Sherrie. I will usually just stop, remove the polish from the entire nail, and re-do it without a word. It doesn't always get them to hold still, but at least they are well aware that they messed me up at that point.

Haha! I love this idea!
(09-01-2012, 04:11 AM)Sherrie90630 Wrote: After years of practice what works for me is while I'm holding their finger to gently pull back the skin at the cuticle so I can get the polish really close to the skin without touching it. Then move my fingers to pull down on the skin on both sides of the nail so I don't touch that either. Orangewood sticks never worked for me to clean up with, so I use a small brush with acetone to clean up any polish on the skin before I finish with top coat. If I'm using red or a dark color, I will usually clean up the polish as I go as it seems to be harder to remove if I wait until I'm done polishing all 10 nails. ]

The only thing I still struggle with is having a client laugh or move suddenly when I have the brush at the base of the nail. Every single time that happens the polish floods the cuticle. It's so frustrating! : )

Never tried gently pulling back the skin a little. I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks!
Wrap a bit of cotton on a toothpick- gets into small places without messing the rest of the polish up.
Always be kind....you get farther.
I use a small pointed brush w acetone too.and I normally clean as I go. I also pull back the folds of skin on the sides to get really close....but it does take practice.!!!
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
(09-02-2012, 01:09 AM)anointdhndz Wrote: I use a small pointed brush w acetone too.and I normally clean as I go. I also pull back the folds of skin on the sides to get really close....but it does take practice.!!!

I have a thin, flat brush that I use that works pretty well but the pointed brush seems even better for targeting the cuticle area! I've seen them in the craft stores. I'll gonna pick one up and see if I like it!
Ya I use the one from Sallys...its synthetic, and small...white bristles w/ a clear handle. Ive used that one for years and years.... I condition it so it "swipes" a certain way too... and I hate replacing them, cuz you gotta train it all over again.
I dry my layers in my UV lights...so I will normally clean up before I put them in the light..cuz it will kinda get baked on..lol
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
(09-08-2012, 12:24 AM)anointdhndz Wrote: Ya I use the one from Sallys...its synthetic, and small...white bristles w/ a clear handle. Ive used that one for years and years.... I condition it so it "swipes" a certain way too... and I hate replacing them, cuz you gotta train it all over again.
I dry my layers in my UV lights...so I will normally clean up before I put them in the light..cuz it will kinda get baked on..lol

I didn't even think to go to Sallys. I went by Michael's Craft store & picked one up today. It's called a "spotter" brush (see link below).... Can u give me a little more info on how u "train" the brush to swipe a certain way & how it helps u to do it? I've never heard of this technique before so I'm interested to find out more.

http://www.micromark.com/RS/SR/Product/81209_R.jpg
Before polishing, make sure the cuticle (it's dead skin, after all) is removed from the nail plate. Control your polish by having it on only one side of the polish brush. Yes to the small brush with acetone for clean up, which I do immediately before the top coat.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
http://www.sallybeauty.com/nail-brushes/..._vc=SEARCH

This is the one I use...the similiar one w/ natural bristles I use to dry brush my base coat when needed....but these actually lose bristles alot...and the other one Ive literally had one for years upon end..and it never loses bristles.

What I mean by training it...is I use it to swipe one way. I always start on the left side of the nail and work my way right. Its very pointy at first and I will kinda squish it alot at first to soften it up--relax the bristles.
After so long it will be trained to swipe one way..how the bristles stay. I baby my brushes too...so when I use it for clean up on gel/glitter..whatever...I make sure I clean it well with acetone .
Hope this helps you...but Im sure what you got is fine..we all have our 'favorites'...and this is one of mine. Smile
whoops... i didnt look at your link until after I posted that first comment...um I would think that is too small...you would have to load and load it with acetone, and I dont think it would hold alot. When I dip mine in acetone..i will tap it a couple times on the top of my hand to get the excess acetone off..and I can normally clean up around a couple nails at a time doing this....so, just my 2 cents..but I would recommend you get something a bit bigger Smile Smile
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
an eyeliner brush dipped in acetone works here too!
Top coat works great! As your top coating just put a little over your mistake and use an orange wood stick to remove it. Awesome tip I learned many years ago!Wink
(09-08-2012, 10:01 PM)anointdhndz Wrote: http://www.sallybeauty.com/nail-brushes/..._vc=SEARCH

This is the one I use...the similiar one w/ natural bristles I use to dry brush my base coat when needed....but these actually lose bristles alot...and the other one Ive literally had one for years upon end..and it never loses bristles.

What I mean by training it...is I use it to swipe one way. I always start on the left side of the nail and work my way right. Its very pointy at first and I will kinda squish it alot at first to soften it up--relax the bristles.
After so long it will be trained to swipe one way..how the bristles stay. I baby my brushes too...so when I use it for clean up on gel/glitter..whatever...I make sure I clean it well with acetone .
Hope this helps you...but Im sure what you got is fine..we all have our 'favorites'...and this is one of mine. Smile
whoops... i didnt look at your link until after I posted that first comment...um I would think that is too small...you would have to load and load it with acetone, and I dont think it would hold alot. When I dip mine in acetone..i will tap it a couple times on the top of my hand to get the excess acetone off..and I can normally clean up around a couple nails at a time doing this....so, just my 2 cents..but I would recommend you get something a bit bigger Smile Smile

Thanks for the info and the link. Yeah, mine is tiny compared to yours lol. I think I'll go out and buy that one too!

Also, thanks for the feedback nailjunky and newbietechy!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,595
11-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Last PostCentre for Beauty
Replies: 5
Views: 4,039
11-07-2013, 11:14 PM