You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts about salon life... interviewed a potential employee today...
Tongue 
I had my interview with a potential employee today. Offered flexible hours, mentoring/technical training, paid advertising with first option of new clients going on her calendar, only going to mine if she was full, hourly rate PLUS a sliding commission up to 58% ON TOP OF THE HOURLY RATE, plus commission on retail items - and I average over 25% of my service base in retail, and told her that once I saw how things are going I would be willing to pay for her to take some outside classes. She said she had to think about it, because there were a few things that "might be a deal breaker" for her. First, I won't have an employee who also does nails in another salon in town (much less one that is half a block from my salon). Second, I won't allow barter services to be done without pre-authorization by me and a percentage paid to the salon for use of the facilities and materials. Third, I won't give keys to the salon to a new employee until I am comfortable with them and that they know how to do everything, so she won't be able to come in 3 hours earlier than the regular salon hours to accommodate an existing early client. My mind is a little blown right now, as I kind of thought I was offering the moon...

But the real point of this thread... Why am I willing to pay for advertising for her, but haven't done it for myself in two years? I will be starting that ASAP. Also, since I'm so willing to dedicate so much time, money and effort into her - why don't I just give all that to the salon? I can spend time working on new art techniques, decorating hats for sale, crocheting scarves to sell in the winter season, making jewelry, making 3-D nail art wall hangings to sell... Now I'm thinking I will take the time & money I was willing to invest in her in the short term and investing it in all these things plus few new retail lines. Smile And I know I'll be treating my clients to a bunch of new nail goodies!

Funny how I was mentally geared up for the extra workload of bringing in someone new, and now I am freshly excited about my solo shop and all the possibilities!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Good for you for lighting a fire under your own butt to shake up your complacency! It's funny often we go to great lengths for others and forget to put the same amount of time and energy toward ourselves. And bloody boo sucks to the self-entitled (please say no longer) potential new employee! I wish someone had offered me such a sweetheart deal when I started out! What is it with new practitioners of any profession who think they can write their own rules & command top dollar right outta the chute without working their way up the ladder to the upper rungs?!
Pussycat Nails: Hot Paws and Cool Claws!
For sure, no longer! I ran the numbers again last night to be sure - if she were working 40 hours a week and 85% booked (which is what she said she wanted), she would have been earning over $1,000 per week plus the perks. Even at 70% booked she'd have been earning mid $800's. There's no way to pay more than that and still be a profitable salon, and there's no way I want to try to mentor someone who is unhappy with their pay and privileges!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
GOD I WISH I COULD COME WORK FOR YOU! I WOULD LOVE TO FIND SOMEONE WILLING TO "WORK" WITH ME AND WANT TO KEEP ME ON ENOUGH TO INVEST IN ME AND SEE MY AMBITION.
WELL ON TO THE NEXT ONE!
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,728